Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Arranging interviews for a recce trip.

Arranging interviews for a recce trip.

Old May 16th 2006, 7:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Washington, the original one, for now. The future - who knows?
Wearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to behold
Default Arranging interviews for a recce trip.

I have noticed that a fer of the posters here have managed to arrange a couple of interviews whilst visiting Canada.

Can you tell me how you managed to arrange an interview when it is so hard just to get any response to your resume whilst still in GB?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old May 16th 2006, 9:09 am
Glasgow Rangers

Voyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond reputeVoyager970 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Arranging interviews for a recce trip.

Originally Posted by Wearsider
I have noticed that a fer of the posters here have managed to arrange a couple of interviews whilst visiting Canada.

Can you tell me how you managed to arrange an interview when it is so hard just to get any response to your resume whilst still in GB?

Send you resume to anyone and everyone that will take it

Phone, pester, annoy the pants of anyone that will listen ( ladies as well )

Perseverance is the name of the game here

Eddie
Old May 16th 2006, 11:45 am
BE Enthusiast

zmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nicezmartin is just really nice

We go out on Saturday and my husband emailed a few graphic design agencies in the area we want to move to, with his portfolio etc, and has had two responses back.

We only said that we wanted to drop in and say hi at this point but, hopefully, we'll be able to work on getting a job or even just some freelance stuff for when we do finally get out there. At least we'll have met up with someone and will have a contact.

Zoe M. x
Old May 16th 2006, 2:13 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Voyager970
Phone, pester, annoy the pants of anyone that will listen ( ladies as well* )
* Try using that cute British accent, works every time on tha laydeez

Rich.
Old May 16th 2006, 2:17 pm
AntiWinge Freedom fighter

Bleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond reputeBleech has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
* Try using that cute British accent, works every time on tha laydeez

Rich.
"You're gorgeous, fancy another British invasion..if you know what I mean"
Old May 16th 2006, 2:32 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Eddie
Ditto that................my hub, e-mailed, sent resumes, made follow up phone calls, e-mailed again, had telephone interviews ......................had lined up 3 interviews for his recce trip, and got a job to come to from one of them, ....................the other 2 were really interested, but said the usual...."get back in touch when you get here"................didn't need to pal !!!!
Old May 16th 2006, 4:56 pm
OMG - I'm back

nivlad will become famous soon enoughnivlad will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Wearsider

I just emailed (cold) a guy I knew worked in the same field as me and that was that. Few emails, telephone interview and we were moving back. So just keep persistantly at it it will work. This is the 3rd time I have done it. I have found just sending your cv off to everyone and anyone is not worth it. When I was overhere in 2000 I sent off 70 cvs and no one got back to me. I sent two back to the UK and got two telephone interviews and two job offers, strange eh?
Old May 16th 2006, 5:44 pm
smokes, let's go

Tidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really nice

If you haven't landed yet, employers may not be interested. I had that a few times.

Oh, and once you're here, NETWORK! I was offered the chance of some work while at a party this weekend - I had more people's business cards than I had canapes!
Old May 17th 2006, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: Washington, the original one, for now. The future - who knows?
Wearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to beholdWearsider is a splendid one to behold

Eddie
See you wee man!

After searching the Canada website for the company that I work for I picked and email address at random and banged off an email.

I got a response within a few hours, not just saying that our company does do transfers to Canada, but she also gave me the address of the HR manager that I need to get in touch with!

I'm not building my hopes up too much, but I definitely feel a lot more positive today ( it could also be due to the fact that I have just done a crappy finance exam today that i have been dreading for weeks now).

p.s. does the Copeland nutter still exist?

Last edited by Wearsider; May 17th 2006 at 3:28 pm.
Old May 17th 2006, 4:02 pm

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

How long would you give yourselves for the "hope of getting a job" is the process a quick one once your accepted and then when you apply for your working visa? Did that make sense? lol It's because I'm going over to Halifax in October and I've been told to hand in CV's etc... then but I wont be moving over until a years time, does anyone think that'll be too early to start looking. I work with children as an early years educator if that helps.

Thanks
Old May 17th 2006, 4:03 pm
Forum Regular

little-beauty is on a distinguished road

Word up.

We got nowhere until we set up a Canadian postal address (similar to a po box), a VoIP Toronto Number and a .ca email address).

Send your resumes out with Canadian details (if you're still stuck in the UK) and see the difference. My wife simply explained to her prospective employer that she lived a twin-centre existence and that she could come over for interview on their timescale and .....she got the job. Nice.

Little-B.
Old May 17th 2006, 8:21 pm
Cochrane AB Bound!

us3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really niceus3andthedog is just really nice

Know what you mean.
Husband has been looking for a job since feb and has emailed loads of employers most say "over qualified" or "give us a call when you arrive". He had a reply yesterday asking him to "drop by sometime this week" unfortunatly we are in the uk!!
Employers dont really seem that interested in employing a foreign worker and having the hassel of applying to HRSDC.

We are coming back over in Jan 07, so will have to pack his suit.....just incase
Old May 18th 2006, 7:59 pm
Forum Regular

sharonl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by R2D2
Ditto that................my hub, e-mailed, sent resumes, made follow up phone calls, e-mailed again, had telephone interviews ......................had lined up 3 interviews for his recce trip, and got a job to come to from one of them, ....................the other 2 were really interested, but said the usual...."get back in touch when you get here"................didn't need to pal !!!!

am sending resumes out to all relevant companies in canada, just had a interview for job in naples florida but got knocked back as the company didnt wabnt to pay for the work visa/sponsership as they felt it too expensive

is this going to happen in canada do i sort stuff myself do i mention cost help im drowning in confusion as to the best place to start getting me and family out there!!
Old May 18th 2006, 8:27 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by sharonl
am sending resumes out to all relevant companies in canada, just had a interview for job in naples florida but got knocked back as the company didnt wabnt to pay for the work visa/sponsership as they felt it too expensive

is this going to happen in canada do i sort stuff myself do i mention cost help im drowning in confusion as to the best place to start getting me and family out there!!
The company my hubby works for remained interested in him for a year prior to us landing.

A good few months after his recce trip back in 2004 and having done a great interview with them, they contacted him again for a chat and asking if we knew how long it would be until we got the PR visa.
It was then that my husband approached them with the idea of going through HRDC to obtain a temp work visa to get us out to Canada sooner. They said they would look into it as they really wanted him to come and work for them.
It is all employer based...................by that i mean that the companies have to approach HRDC and fill in the documents, submit the job offer package and reasons for wanting a non Canadian ..........blah, blah, blah. We had to do NOTHING.

After another few months of 'looking into it', they began going down that route, then "hey Presto"..................our passport requests arrived. So it was all systems go anyway.

If you can keep interest in you, and the company is willing to obtain HRDC approval and get you a temp work visa whilst your PR is in process, then thats a great way of getting out sooner rather than later.

Best of luck...............but a bit of luck and persistence really paid off for us. Fingers crossed for everyone else. xx
Old May 18th 2006, 8:50 pm
Forum Regular

sharonl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by R2D2
The company my hubby works for remained interested in him for a year prior to us landing.

A good few months after his recce trip back in 2004 and having done a great interview with them, they contacted him again for a chat and asking if we knew how long it would be until we got the PR visa.
It was then that my husband approached them with the idea of going through HRDC to obtain a temp work visa to get us out to Canada sooner. They said they would look into it as they really wanted him to come and work for them.
It is all employer based...................by that i mean that the companies have to approach HRDC and fill in the documents, submit the job offer package and reasons for wanting a non Canadian ..........blah, blah, blah. We had to do NOTHING.

After another few months of 'looking into it', they began going down that route, then "hey Presto"..................our passport requests arrived. So it was all systems go anyway.

If you can keep interest in you, and the company is willing to obtain HRDC approval and get you a temp work visa whilst your PR is in process, then thats a great way of getting out sooner rather than later.

Best of luck...............but a bit of luck and persistence really paid off for us. Fingers crossed for everyone else. xx

thanks for that when i read all this its like everyone elso knows exactly where to start and has done it real quick, how long do these things usually take?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.