Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Areas in Toronto to recommend...

Areas in Toronto to recommend...

Old Oct 22nd 2006, 2:30 am
Just Joined

Gumbo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Areas in Toronto to recommend...

Hey guys,

ok so we landed in Toronto for a week then came out to BC to see my partners family!We're back in Toronto and need to find a place to live...

Which areas in downtown/midtown would you all recommend?!

We have no kids and want to be centrally located...

thanks very much

Gumz
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 3:06 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Areas in Toronto to recommend...

Originally Posted by Gumbo
Hey guys,

ok so we landed in Toronto for a week then came out to BC to see my partners family!We're back in Toronto and need to find a place to live...

Which areas in downtown/midtown would you all recommend?!

We have no kids and want to be centrally located...

thanks very much

Gumz
We used to live in the High Park/Roncesvales/Bloor West Village area: can recommend. dbd33 will tout Beaches/Danforth which is right too.

Anywhere on the subway is good.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 9:13 am
BE Forum Addict

britishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond reputebritishvixen21 has a reputation beyond repute

We live in yonge and st clair and love it love it love it, its on the subway line, takes 20 minutes to either downtown or uptown (i work at yonge and shepperd and it takes me 15 on the subway) it has everything you need grocery shops, nice pubs etc, and is only two stops from Yonge and Eglington shopping centre.

its also not badly priced renting wise. and i feel very safe her too which is important to me.
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 1:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

celine_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of lightceline_uk is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by britishvixen21
We live in yonge and st clair and love it love it love it, its on the subway line, takes 20 minutes to either downtown or uptown (i work at yonge and shepperd and it takes me 15 on the subway) it has everything you need grocery shops, nice pubs etc, and is only two stops from Yonge and Eglington shopping centre.

its also not badly priced renting wise. and i feel very safe her too which is important to me.

I'll 2nd that i only live a few intersections from britishvixen and have to say its a really great area to live in. check out www.viewit.ca for apartment rentals

good luck
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 3:22 pm
smokes, let's go

Tidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really niceTidge is just really nice

Yonge & Eglinton is a great area, I lived around there for a while. I'm now near the Distillery district which is a bit greasy, but definately up and coming, 5 minutes into downtown on the streetcar or a 15-minute walk!
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 4:17 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Tidge
Yonge & Eglinton is a great area, I lived around there for a while. I'm now near the Distillery district which is a bit greasy, but definately up and coming, 5 minutes into downtown on the streetcar or a 15-minute walk!
The Annex is meant to be very hip these days. Still coming out of boho-fashionability so rent is okay and it's right in the middle of pretty much everything. Lot more gritty than the Beaches though...
Old Oct 22nd 2006, 6:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

wizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud ofwizzard has much to be proud of

A lot of it depends on whether you plan to rent or buy. There are a lot of good places to rent where buying is only possible if you have a lot of money. For example we used to rent in Bloor West Village near High Park and it's a really nice place to live but when we came to buying our first house we couldn't find anything in our area for less than $600K and even those ones were often ones that required work. I know a few people who rent in the Annex as mentioned above and I work near there on the border of the Annex and Yorkville and you can rent for a reasonable amount but the houses cost several million dollars. It's similar with right downtown, unless you plan on renting or buying a condo then there isn't much in the way of houses. The Beach(es) is another popular area and there are more reasonable house prices there but again they keep rising so it depends, also slightly more awkward commute as you are south of the subway line so it's mostly street cars which are slow. I think most of the main popular renting areas have been covered like Yonge & Eglington / Davisville etc. I have some friends who bought a decent sized condo near Kipling subway station which is currently slightly desolate but lots of building going on and 5 minutes to the subway.
Old Oct 23rd 2006, 12:09 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
dbd33 will tout Beaches/Danforth which is right too.
Not for someone who has no kids. Even with kids I enjoyed living downtown (by the St Lawrence Market). We only moved out to the Beach to get a backyard with room for a trampoline and whatnot. It's the classic trade off, living in the Beach means a commute but it means more space indoors and out.