Reload this Page >

Areas in Calgary

Areas in Calgary

Old Mar 5th 2013, 8:57 pm
Just Joined

Dizzy_Lizzie is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Areas in Calgary

Hi!

My partner and I are arriving in Calgary in May and we will clearly need a place to live! Any advice on where to live would be welcome, Inglewood, Mission and Kensington are the areas we have our eye on at the moment.
Any information is gladly received!
Old Mar 5th 2013, 9:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Areas in Calgary

Originally Posted by Dizzy_Lizzie
Hi!

My partner and I are arriving in Calgary in May and we will clearly need a place to live! Any advice on where to live would be welcome, Inglewood, Mission and Kensington are the areas we have our eye on at the moment.
They are fine areas. You will be happy there.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

RockiesFellow is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi!

All really nice and extremely trendy areas. All walkable into the downtown core, and all have great local shops and restaurants. Pretty pricey though.
Old Mar 5th 2013, 11:52 pm

salmonfella is an unknown quantity at this point

Bankview, Knobhill, killarney,mount pleasant are all the areas i am looking at also sunulta and sunnyside too i arrive in April
Old Mar 7th 2013, 7:23 pm
Just Joined

Dizzy_Lizzie is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by salmonfella
Bankview, Knobhill, killarney,mount pleasant are all the areas i am looking at also sunulta and sunnyside too i arrive in April
Super- you can scout out potential areas for me please! Are you all packed and ready to go?
Good to know where we're thinking of are nice areas, not that I imagine Calgary to have any ghetto areas!
Old Mar 7th 2013, 7:38 pm

I will indeed.. ah i am all ready to go indeed cant wait now tbh
Old Mar 7th 2013, 8:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Super- you can scout out potential areas for me please! Are you all packed and ready to go?
Good to know where we're thinking of are nice areas, not that I imagine Calgary to have any ghetto areas!
Depends on what you mean by "ghetto areas"! Some people would consider Forest Lawn and Dover to be ghetto areas, but really they are just blue-collar working class. Kensington, Inglewood and Mission certaintly don't fall into that category; they are just very chic and very expensive to buy in.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 8:22 pm

what are the areas i mentioned like dude?
Old Mar 7th 2013, 8:47 pm
Banned

Beaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to beholdBeaverquest is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
Depends on what you mean by "ghetto areas"! Some people would consider Forest Lawn and Dover to be ghetto areas, but really they are just blue-collar working class. Kensington, Inglewood and Mission certaintly don't fall into that category; they are just very chic and very expensive to buy in.
Inglewood/Ramsey have some quite 'dodge city' areas also too - bit rundown

and as for walking into downtown from Inglewood in winter laong 10ave past the salvation army / east village etc.....windswept
Old Mar 7th 2013, 9:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

There isn't a community in Calgary that wouldn't be seen as "perfectly acceptable" in any UK city. The "undesirable" areas of Calgary are simply the ones that are less desirable than others. Most from the UK, if taken to them straight off the plane, would have no issue with them at all.
Old Mar 7th 2013, 11:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

haggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond reputehaggis88 has a reputation beyond repute

i lived in Renfrew when i first moved here...and while some Calgarians i've spoken to would call it "ghetto", i'd say its just an older neighbourhood which could use a lick of paint...
Old Mar 9th 2013, 4:23 pm
Forum Regular

cherryj has a brilliant futurecherryj has a brilliant futurecherryj has a brilliant futurecherryj has a brilliant futurecherryj has a brilliant futurecherryj has a brilliant future

I live in Spruce Cliff which is just north of Bankview/Knob Hill / Killarney

It's a good area to live in as it's convenient for a lot of places. You'd be really close to 17th Avenue which is where a lot of the bars / restaurants are.

You're close to downtown and can get there pretty quickly.

Close to the river for nice walks, and Edworthy Park too.

Conveniently located for weekend trips out to the mountains

Sunnyside is not far from where I work, again it's a nice location and right by the river so nice views. Close to Eau Claire, and Prince's Island park.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 6:04 pm

Cheers cherryj i will focus on these areas i just wanted someone on the ground to conform it
Old Mar 9th 2013, 8:49 pm
Forum Regular

cherryj has a brilliant futurecherryj has a brilliant futurecherryj has a brilliant futurecherryj has a brilliant futurecherryj has a brilliant futurecherryj has a brilliant future

Cheers cherryj i will focus on these areas i just wanted someone on the ground to conform it
Do you know whereabouts you will be working? And if you'll be using public transport or driving?

Pretty much all the areas you are looking at are well located anyway, but it might make a difference.
Old Mar 9th 2013, 9:08 pm

No idea yet i would imagine downtown labourering in one of the new buildings or at least i hope i will be or working in a bar on 17th avenue..i taught these are perfect as they are well located i will be driving after a while but will take a bit to get a car etc