Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Applying for first permanent SIN after soft-landing

Applying for first permanent SIN after soft-landing

Old Jul 5th 2020, 9:57 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Applying for first permanent SIN after soft-landing

But you never applied for a SIN when you soft landed that is your issue. You never worked in Canada so your 1st paragraph is irrelevant. I would do the application send in a cover letter and see what happens. I really dislike the soft landing as it causes all sorts of problems later down the road for some. There again IRCC processing times don't help either.
Old Jul 5th 2020, 10:05 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
But you never applied for a SIN when you soft landed that is your issue. You never worked in Canada so your 1st paragraph is irrelevant. I would do the application send in a cover letter and see what happens. I really dislike the soft landing as it causes all sorts of problems later down the road for some. There again IRCC processing times don't help either.
I agree with you regarding soft landings and had I have known then what I know now then I certainly would have done things differently.

I have worked in Canada before which is how I got a temp SIN. I just haven't worked there since I became a PR but I made my intentions very clear to both the immigration officer and the representatives from Service Canada at the airport when I landed. What I should have done was taken them up on their offer to process a SIN application there and then. I could have used any address for that and it could have saved a lot of hassle in the long run.

I actually didn't think of including a cover letter with the PR Card application although I'm not sure what difference that will make considering their processing timescales atm or did you mean do an online application for a SIN using my COPR and see what happens?
Old Jul 5th 2020, 10:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Mainly for the PR card but wouldn't hurt to do both as your old SIN has expired and you left Canada and came back and did a landing without applying for a permanent SIN.
Old Jul 5th 2020, 10:24 am
Sidecar Falcon

DigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond reputeDigitalGhost has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Former Lancastrian View Post
Mainly for the PR card but wouldn't hurt to do both as your old SIN has expired and you left Canada and came back and did a landing without applying for a permanent SIN.
Thanks. I did think about filing a SIN application online with my COPR and an LoE but I thought I might have more luck trying that at Service Canada where they may be a little more flexible and take less of a "computer says no" approach.

I can definitely put an LoE in with the PR card application though.
Old Jul 18th 2020, 1:16 pm
MUA
Forum Regular

MUA is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by DigitalGhost View Post
Thanks. So based on the below info unless I'm mistaken, I need to be present in Canada at the time of application and cannot submit the application from another country. I tick every other box on that list right now.

So essentially in order to apply ahead of moving, I would need to travel there, submit the application using the Canadian correspondence address of my choice and then leave them to do their thing. I have a 1 year multi-entry PRTD so there is nothing to stop me from leaving for a few months after mailing in the application. In fact my original plan pre-Covid was to move to Canada around September of this year and then return home for Christmas with my family for a few days which was why I requested a multiple entry PRTD in the first place.

The only real downside to this that I can see so far is the several hundred quid it would cost me to fly there for a visit plus bed and board. However, considering what not being able to work for months could do to me and my finances, that's definitely the lesser of two evils. This is of course assuming that Canada no longer insists on 2 weeks of isolation upon arrival in a couple of months from now.

I am also in the process of completing a PRTD For my husband, and had no idea that you could apply for multi-entry. My husband plans to travel to Canada as soon as normal flying is possible without the need to quarantine. Also when you had your pictures taken did they need to be signed by a guarantor?

thank you
mua
Old Jul 18th 2020, 1:20 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Originally Posted by MUA View Post
I am also in the process of completing a PRTD For my husband, and had no idea that you could apply for multi-entry. My husband plans to travel to Canada as soon as normal flying is possible without the need to quarantine. Also when you had your pictures taken did they need to be signed by a guarantor?

thank you
mua
I had the pictures taken at Timpsons who also did the photos for my PR application a few years ago. They are fully versed in the requirements for Canada and will sign and stamp them for you at no extra charge. They actually have templates for Canadian visas and PR cards built into their in-store system. They did charge me about £20 for 4 though. I don't know if that's more than I paid when I did my EE application in 2017, it's obviously been a while since then.

For multiple entry, just add an LoE to your application and request it. There shouldn't be an issue as long as you're not on the verge of breaching any residency obligation. Considering the current delays in processing some types of PR card application (around 9 months for a renewal or lost card), I think to refuse most people a multiple entry PRTD atm would just be downright cruel.
Old Jul 19th 2020, 10:43 am
MUA
Forum Regular

Thank you DG for you quick response. We got the pictures done from Max Speilman photography and they were really helpful, they charged £14.99 and that included 2 passport sized photos and electronic photo too. I will write LoE when I send of the application.
Old Jul 19th 2020, 10:58 am
Sidecar Falcon

Thank you DG for you quick response. We got the pictures done from Max Speilman photography and they were really helpful, they charged £14.99 and that included 2 passport sized photos and electronic photo too. I will write LoE when I send of the application.
No worries. How are you applying for it just out of curiosity? I made a day trip to London to do mine although I was in the VAC for all of 10 mins. Has the VAC re-opened or do you have to submit an application online?
Old Jul 21st 2020, 9:07 pm
MUA
Forum Regular

No worries. How are you applying for it just out of curiosity? I made a day trip to London to do mine although I was in the VAC for all of 10 mins. Has the VAC re-opened or do you have to submit an application online?
Tbh I’m not sure if I’m going to send it via email/post or in person. We are only an 1 1/2 hours away from London and could probably do a day trip. If anyone on here has anymore information with regards to getting PRTD sent or done that would be greatly appreciated. I’ve also got to renew my Canadian passport so could probably take that down at the same time.

Old Jul 23rd 2020, 2:13 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Tbh I’m not sure if I’m going to send it via email/post or in person. We are only an 1 1/2 hours away from London and could probably do a day trip. If anyone on here has anymore information with regards to getting PRTD sent or done that would be greatly appreciated. I’ve also got to renew my Canadian passport so could probably take that down at the same time.
Not sure if you're aware but your passport needs to be renewed via the HC directly whereas PRTD applications have to go through the VAC. They are only a short journey away from each other though. You could walk between them easily enough.
Old Jul 23rd 2020, 8:08 pm
MUA
Forum Regular

Not sure if you're aware but your passport needs to be renewed via the HC directly whereas PRTD applications have to go through the VAC. They are only a short journey away from each other though. You could walk between them easily enough.
Hi DG,

Yes I looked on the website and realised that they are at different addresses. Unfortunately, they are not expecting any applications in person due to COVID-19, which I totally understand. I will be sending them in the post, and will ensure that they are tracked or registered delivery.

I also checked timings for passport and it can take up to 9 weeks before they are returned.😳 hopefully by then it will be safer to travel, without having to quarantine.

Thanks
MUA
Old Aug 1st 2020, 3:12 pm
Sidecar Falcon

Interestingly the processing times for PR cards have changed hugely since I last checked them. They now stand at 128 days for a first time applicant and 138 days for a replacement/renewal. This is an increase of about a month for first time applicants but a huge decrease for renewals (almost half of what it was when I last checked).

So either both estimates are complete nonsense, the processes are slowly starting to return to normal or they've stopped giving processing priority to new immigrants.