Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Apartments on Craigslist

Apartments on Craigslist

Old Jan 22nd 2014, 8:31 am
Forum Regular

JulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Apartments on Craigslist

Originally Posted by orly
found our first two apartments on kijiji. top site.

Thanks hi! Will have a look at them sites now. One of the flats I enquired about, the fella got back to me there - apparently him and his family have already moved out and are in Africa and could I forward the first 2months rent for his church repairs and he'll then send the keys!... are there really people stupid enough to fall for this???
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 8:31 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JulieDoire
oh dear.. never heard that. we'll be careful!
There are also a lot of scams done through craigslist, particularly for rentals.

You should have a read through this too: http://apartments.about.com/od/apart...ntal-Scams.htm

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 22nd 2014 at 8:35 am.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 10:10 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks hi! Will have a look at them sites now. One of the flats I enquired about, the fella got back to me there - apparently him and his family have already moved out and are in Africa and could I forward the first 2months rent for his church repairs and he'll then send the keys!... are there really people stupid enough to fall for this???
Yes, many people send plenty of cash, otherwise they would not do it. I found a few while looking for a car, same thing, send cash and I will have car delivered. I had fun emailing and killing a bit of their time !!!
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 2:00 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Kijiji isn't as big in Vancouver - more apartments on Craigslist.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 10:47 am
Forum Regular

JulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond repute

Right I know that this is the Canadian section of the website, but as me and the BF still havent decided between Canada & New Zealand, we are looking at acc. in both countries, just to compare expenses etc. I know Craigslist is in big in US & Canada so I wana get some opinions on this email I recieved. I ask 3very straight forward questions - where in the city? close to shops? & what floor its on?...this was the response..

Hi,
Thanks for your email and it's my gladness hearing from you, am Rev Paul i am the owner of the property you are making inquiry of, actually I resided in the house with my family, my wife and my only daughter but presently we had packed due to my transfer from my working place and now situated in Philadelphia,PA in United State. Presently my house is still available for rent it is fully Furnished!

Meanwhile, i went for a Crusade in S.A and i will like you to get in touch with my wife in Glasgow for more details about the house, as she's with the keys and the documents of the House. Please i want you to know that we're kind and honest family, we spent a lot on our property's,so i will solicit for your absolute maintenance of this house and want you to treat it as your own! Its not about the money but its about who will keep it tidy all the time, so that we will be glad to see it neat when we come for a check up. I also want you to let me have trust in you as i always stand on my word!

Email my wife Marjorie on ( snipped - email removed ) and she will attends to you better, pls make sure you send an email to both address.
Thanks and you are welcome...
Regards

to me this seems like a loada crap.. any opinions?

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 23rd 2014 at 2:30 pm. Reason: email removed
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 1:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Right I know that this is the Canadian section of the website, but as me and the BF still havent decided between Canada & New Zealand, we are looking at acc. in both countries, just to compare expenses etc. I know Craigslist is in big in US & Canada so I wana get some opinions on this email I recieved. I ask 3very straight forward questions - where in the city? close to shops? & what floor its on?...this was the response..

Hi,
Thanks for your email and it's my gladness hearing from you, am Rev Paul i am the owner of the property you are making inquiry of, actually I resided in the house with my family, my wife and my only daughter but presently we had packed due to my transfer from my working place and now situated in Philadelphia,PA in United State. Presently my house is still available for rent it is fully Furnished!

Meanwhile, i went for a Crusade in S.A and i will like you to get in touch with my wife in Glasgow for more details about the house, as she's with the keys and the documents of the House. Please i want you to know that we're kind and honest family, we spent a lot on our property's,so i will solicit for your absolute maintenance of this house and want you to treat it as your own! Its not about the money but its about who will keep it tidy all the time, so that we will be glad to see it neat when we come for a check up. I also want you to let me have trust in you as i always stand on my word!

Email my wife Marjorie on ( snipped - email removed ) and she will attends to you better, pls make sure you send an email to both address.
Thanks and you are welcome...
Regards

to me this seems like a loada crap.. any opinions?
This is the classic scam response. The good works they are doing varies, I saw one where the guy was in London working on a cure for aids. The absolute giveaway is the information that the keys are with the wife out of the country. This is point 1 of JonboyE's response in post 4.

Last edited by Siouxie; Jan 23rd 2014 at 2:31 pm. Reason: email removed
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 1:13 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
This is the classic scam response. The good works they are doing varies, I saw one where the guy was in London working on a cure for aids. The absolute giveaway is the information that the keys are with the wife out of the country. This is point 1 of JonboyE's response in post 4.
Aye that’s why I posted it on here, just to confirm my suspicions, Like they could have at least proof read it first, and then theres the "wife’s" email addresses lol there’s a few others that I have emailed about but I am very sceptical because the pictures are just slightly fuzzy, makes me think their just copied of google. will stick up any of replys I get to see if yous think any are genuine!
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 1:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

HGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond reputeHGerchikov has a reputation beyond repute

Aye that’s why I posted it on here, just to confirm my suspicions, Like they could have at least proof read it first, and then theres the "wife’s" email addresses lol there’s a few others that I have emailed about but I am very sceptical because the pictures are just slightly fuzzy, makes me think their just copied of google. will stick up any of replys I get to see if yous think any are genuine!
The other thing to watch out for. If they respond and send you a link to more information and the link requests that you sign in with your email address and password, don't do it. This is another scam to get your login details.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 1:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

januarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond reputejanuarymix has a reputation beyond repute

Scummers
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 1:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

withabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond reputewithabix has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
Kijiji isn't as big in Vancouver - more apartments on Craigslist.
Ads on Craigslist have a tendency to not be removed by the advertisers after properties are rented, making there appear to be far more than there really are.

We are currently in the process of getting ready to move from our initial location in West Kelowna down to Langley and did have quite a lot of trouble finding a house.

The good ones get taken within hours of being advertised, certainly around Langley/Maple Ridge and as far out as Abbotsford.

Probably not the same level of demand for apartments and basement suites, but single family homes are in high demand, especially newer ones.

There are far more scammers on Craigslist as well. We've had the 'African Missionary' email too many times!

Last edited by withabix; Jan 23rd 2014 at 2:01 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 2:29 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I've rented our suite on Craigslist twice. Thought about Kijiji, but get plenty of responses from CL so thought why bother? IMO it works fine and its FREE.
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by HGerchikov
The other thing to watch out for. If they respond and send you a link to more information and the link requests that you sign in with your email address and password, don't do it. This is another scam to get your login details.
yey my BF warned me of that to but I dont think it woulda went further than that first email anyway!
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 2:32 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
I've rented our suite on Craigslist twice. Thought about Kijiji, but get plenty of responses from CL so thought why bother? IMO it works fine and its FREE.
So is kijiji.

Old Jan 23rd 2014, 2:36 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by withabix
There are far more scammers on Craigslist as well. We've had the 'African Missionary' email too many times!

IV have 3 now in a row! Their funny and extremely annoying at the same time, would love to just geta response where someone actually is genuine and answers my questions!
Old Jan 23rd 2014, 2:38 pm
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by withabix
Ads on Craigslist have a tendency to not be removed by the advertisers after properties are rented, making there appear to be far more than there really are.

We are currently in the process of getting ready to move from our initial location in West Kelowna down to Langley and did have quite a lot of trouble finding a house.

The good ones get taken within hours of being advertised, certainly around Langley/Maple Ridge and as far out as Abbotsford.

Probably not the same level of demand for apartments and basement suites, but single family homes are in high demand, especially newer ones.

Noticed ads staying on Kijiji longer too. I'm actually guilty of it...was selling some stuff and forgot to take the ads down. Oops.

Bought some stuff and found 2 of our apartments on it. Never had a problem with any whiff of a scam on Kijiji. I'm sure it has it's fair share though.

I think for apartments it's wise to stick to listings that are well written, have some level of detail and definitely have pictures. The one liners that are prevalent are probably best to instantly disregard.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.