Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Apartments on Craigslist

Apartments on Craigslist

Old Jan 21st 2014, 9:30 pm
Forum Regular

JulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond repute
Question Apartments on Craigslist

After alot of job searching we'v seen that all over Canada there will be work for both me & the BF in areas that we are qualified ... next thing, accommodation, as someone who has never used Craigslist before, i was just wondering, (as it seems very popular for US & N.america) how reliable it is? like we have been looking at endless amounts of property websites.. and haven't been impressed by much, but some of the apartments & houses on Craigslist are amazing for the money... are they to good to be true?? It is a trusted website? Just wondering has anyone on here used it to get accommodation and it went well or was a disaster?
Old Jan 21st 2014, 9:33 pm
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Apartments on Craigslist

put it this way: craigslist is kind of a free for all. there is no one really monitoring it except other people using it. sometimes the scammers get called out by other users. if there's something that seems dodgy you can post the link here and we can tell you if it's legit or not.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 9:37 pm
Forum Regular

JulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond reputeJulieDoire has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ExKiwilass
put it this way: craigslist is kind of a free for all. there is no one really monitoring it except other people using it. sometimes the scammers get called out by other users. if there's something that seems dodgy you can post the link here and we can tell you if it's legit or not.

Yey was thinking that, will do. I noticed under your avatar there that your from Vancouver. Would you mind me asking what would be a normal/average rent for a 1bed apartment, nothing fancy within say 30mins of the city. Just something to get us started..
Old Jan 21st 2014, 9:39 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JulieDoire
After alot of job searching we'v seen that all over Canada there will be work for both me & the BF in areas that we are qualified ... next thing, accommodation, as someone who has never used Craigslist before, i was just wondering, (as it seems very popular for US & N.america) how reliable it is? like we have been looking at endless amounts of property websites.. and haven't been impressed by much, but some of the apartments & houses on Craigslist are amazing for the money... are they to good to be true?? It is a trusted website? Just wondering has anyone on here used it to get accommodation and it went well or was a disaster?
I am not sure where you are heading but Craig's List is the major classified website in Vancouver. Most advertisers are genuine but some are not. Too good to be true definitely does mean too good to be true.

Anyone who says they are overseas at the moment but if you send them the deposit they will send you the keys = run.

Anyone who asks you to send money via Western Union = run.

I would not rent anything sight unseen. Even genuine landlords can substantially overrate their properties. Photos can deceive as well as inform. Spend your first few days in a hotel and hit the streets.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I am not sure where you are heading but Craig's List is the major classified website in Vancouver. Most advertisers are genuine but some are not. Too good to be true definitely does mean too good to be true.

Anyone who says they are overseas at the moment but if you send them the deposit they will send you the keys = run.

Anyone who asks you to send money via Western Union = run.

I would not rent anything sight unseen. Even genuine landlords can substantially overrate their properties. Photos can deceive as well as inform. Spend your first few days in a hotel and hit the streets.

Aye, that would be the plan, Iv emailed a few asking more questions, some dont even list where in the city the apartment is. We would defs just geta hostel/hotel and do the rounds for a week. We'v been there before when we were looking at flats when at uni.. so wur no dosers lol some of the pics are slightly fuzzy, so it would make you think that the poster does not have the orginal..maybe copied of google..? Id like to think that at least some of them are real though.. some of these apartments are lovely! We havent picked a definate location yet, wana get some jobs applied for first and see who gets back to us
Old Jan 21st 2014, 9:53 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

We havent picked a definate location yet, wana get some jobs applied for first and see who gets back to us

You might want to read the section on Canadian job hunting on the wiki link on the blue bar - it's very different to UK/Ireland and they prefer phone/in person interaction rather than email and their style of resume is slightly different to a CV
Old Jan 21st 2014, 9:56 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

... Would you mind me asking what would be a normal/average rent for a 1bed apartment, nothing fancy within say 30mins of the city. Just something to get us started..
If I can dive in here, it really depends. Downtown, Yaletown or Coal Harbour, you can easily spend $2,000 +++. Outside downtown somewhere between $1,000 and $1,500 depending on the area. Further out in the suburbs (30 + minutes) you can rent a basement suit for $650 and up.

Some of the best value is The West End. This is between downtown and Stanley Park. Mostly older rental units but very convenient. Probably $1,200 to $1,300 these days.

Last edited by JonboyE; Jan 21st 2014 at 9:59 pm.
Old Jan 21st 2014, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
You might want to read the section on Canadian job hunting on the wiki link on the blue bar - it's very different to UK/Ireland and they prefer phone/in person interaction rather than email and their style of resume is slightly different to a CV
Yey my BF has had to update his CV to the Canadian style template, will get mines done to. I read someone else saying that they got their job after just seeing a poster and the met the recruiter straight away, but anything iv looked at so far has had an option for email... See that's the best we can do atm because ..well we are still in Ireland lol A few of the engineering jobs my BF has applied for says that they can do Skype interviews for people overseas. But ill keep in mind your advice, Ill be looking for bar/cafe work too so id say i'd do that kinda job hunting when we'd arrive
Old Jan 21st 2014, 10:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JonboyE
If I can dive in here, it really depends. Downtown, Yaletown or Coal Harbour, you can easily spend $2,000 +++. Outside downtown somewhere between $1,000 and $1,500 depending on the area. Further out in the suburbs (30 + minutes) you can rent a basement suit for $650 and up.

Some of the best value is The West End. This is between downtown and Stanley Park. Mostly older rental units but very convenient. Probably $1,200 to $1,300 these days.

Hey, thanks for the figures, see we just have to go by what we see online, but dont know if thats good or ones are ripping the arse outa it! But thats good to know, cheers
Old Jan 21st 2014, 10:32 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I would use www.padmapper.com - you can configure the search and it shows photos, walkability factor etc.

Old Jan 21st 2014, 11:05 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Siouxie
I would use www.padmapper.com - you can configure the search and it shows photos, walkability factor etc.

Thanks for the link, just on having a look at it now!
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 2:18 am
Banned

ultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond reputeultrarunner has a reputation beyond repute

Craiglist...beware, I mean if a guy can get killed for trying to sell his truck
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 2:39 am
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute

KIJIJI is useful too

http://vancouver.kijiji.ca/f-real-es...s-W0QQCatIdZ37

http://toronto.kijiji.ca/f-real-esta...cationZ1700273
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 4:01 am
The ride never ends

orly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond reputeorly has a reputation beyond repute

found our first two apartments on kijiji. top site.
Old Jan 22nd 2014, 8:28 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ultrarunner
Craiglist...beware, I mean if a guy can get killed for trying to sell his truck

oh dear.. never heard that. we'll be careful!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.