Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone Recommend a VPN?

Anyone Recommend a VPN?

Old May 9th 2009, 5:42 pm
Forum Regular

drwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nice
Default Anyone Recommend a VPN?

So we ant to start watching BBC iPlayer etc and looking through an old thread using a VPN service seemed the best method. Anyone here ding this and able to recommend a provider and the costs?

Thanks.
Old May 9th 2009, 6:04 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone Recommend a VPN?

Originally Posted by drwoodsy
So we ant to start watching BBC iPlayer etc and looking through an old thread using a VPN service seemed the best method. Anyone here ding this and able to recommend a provider and the costs?

Thanks.
I think you want a proxy server rather than a VPN.
Old May 9th 2009, 7:40 pm
Forum Regular

drwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nicedrwoodsy is just really nice

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think you want a proxy server rather than a VPN.
I understand that is one way of solving the location problem. In a previous thread

www.consult-here.com/vpn.html.

was mentioned and was wondering if anyone other that Jetfixer had used it?
Old May 9th 2009, 8:19 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah, a VPN to a server in the UK would allow you to access UK sites just like using a proxy server, but in a more secure manner (though with recent UK surveillance laws they'd probably have to hand over information on everything you to do the government; however, I doubt that you'd get extradited for watching BBC shows without a TV license).
Old May 10th 2009, 3:22 am
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MarkG
Yeah, a VPN to a server in the UK would allow you to access UK sites just like using a proxy server, but in a more secure manner (though with recent UK surveillance laws they'd probably have to hand over information on everything you to do the government; however, I doubt that you'd get extradited for watching BBC shows without a TV license).
No, but I bet the TV licence people would send you a bill.
Old May 11th 2009, 9:31 am
Forum Regular

gs.gecko is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by drwoodsy

Thanks.
You have a PM .
Old May 11th 2009, 9:34 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CaptainHook
No, but I bet the TV licence people would send you a bill.
I bet you they won't because they can't identify you through the VPN - which is why it's called a Vitrual PRIVATE network. At best the TV licence people may try to block the IP addresses used by the VPN but that's like trying to find a needle in a haystack and in any case why shouldn't people outside the Uk be able to use iplayer and watch the BEEB , many still have homes and TV licences in the UK anyway.
Old May 11th 2009, 11:18 am

marclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to all

Originally Posted by gs.gecko
.....why shouldn't people outside the Uk be able to use iplayer and watch the BEEB , many still have homes and TV licences in the UK anyway.
the beeb havent figured out how they will charge for international viewing yet, when they have, it will be available.
Really there are licencing issues, when they sell a program to a foreign country, they have to make sure that they dont compete with client broadcaster by offering it direct.
Old May 11th 2009, 11:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by marclouis
the beeb havent figured out how they will charge for international viewing yet, when they have, it will be available.
Really there are licencing issues, when they sell a program to a foreign country, they have to make sure that they dont compete with client broadcaster by offering it direct.
That's fine and to be honest if the licence fee was available to me outside the UK I wouldn't mind having it as long as I had the same access as in the UK. Until that day I look forward to the TV detector vans roaming the streets of Spain and the South of France trying to catch the Ex-pat non licence payers in the act , not to mention the people like me who view through the internet
let's be realitistic if the BEEB throws it up onto a satelitte and broadcasts far and wide and then does the same through the internet , they can't really cry foul when people who don't even know what a TV licence is , stumble across that broadcast media and watch it.
Old May 11th 2009, 11:51 am

marclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to allmarclouis is a name known to all

That's fine and to be honest if the licence fee was available to me outside the UK I wouldn't mind having it as long as I had the same access as in the UK. Until that day I look forward to the TV detector vans roaming the streets of Spain and the South of France trying to catch the Ex-pat non licence payers in the act , not to mention the people like me who view through the internet
let's be realitistic if the BEEB throws it up onto a satelitte and broadcasts far and wide and then does the same through the internet , they can't really cry foul when people who don't even know what a TV licence is , stumble across that broadcast media and watch it.
yes, i'd agree, i think the beeb is excellent value compared with anything else out there.

I happen to use VPN as i have a VPN server anyway. if all you need, is to watch the bbc, a proxy is fine. that or use a p2p app and download the programs the next day, as they all seem to make it to piratebay.
Old May 11th 2009, 4:59 pm
Account Closed

DaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond reputeDaveLovesDee has a reputation beyond repute

The TV Licence is a tax to fund the BBC. Unlike most other taxes though, people have a choice not to watch the BBC even though they're paying for it.

End the tax, or at least stop calling it a 'licence fee'.