Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone know of 'good' areas of Vancouver to reside?

Anyone know of 'good' areas of Vancouver to reside?

Old Apr 2nd 2012, 7:47 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone know of 'good' areas of Vancouver to reside?

Originally Posted by nerdherd
Without wishing to open a can of worms - what do you call 'mature'? For 20 year olds, 'mature' is those in their 40s, for 35 year olds it's those in their 60s, etc....

All relative! A friend of mine is thinking of moving to White Rock, and has also been told that it's 'a place for more mature folks'. He's struggling to find out whether said mature folks are as mature as he is, or more! He's in his mid 40s...
I am also mid 40 s, as jonboye says, it has/is changing....maybe not the place for a single 20 something, but he will be fine. Tons of younger families moving to the south surrey area. It is a lovely spot to call home.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 5:15 am
Just Joined

convent girl is an unknown quantity at this point

If price really isn't a problem at this point then West Van is great: Ambleside, Dundarave, right on the shoreline, loads of stuff for all the family to do, easy access to skiing at Cypress Mountain, etc. Also up the Sea to Sky corridor: Caulfeild to Horseshoe Bay would be good for a family - easy commute to downtown, on a bus route, good schools and an incredible location in terms of views and 'awesomeness'!
Old Apr 9th 2012, 6:21 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by convent girl
If price really isn't a problem at this point then West Van is great: Ambleside, Dundarave, right on the shoreline, loads of stuff for all the family to do, easy access to skiing at Cypress Mountain, etc. Also up the Sea to Sky corridor: Caulfeild to Horseshoe Bay would be good for a family - easy commute to downtown, on a bus route, good schools and an incredible location in terms of views and 'awesomeness'!
All that money to be rained on all the time?
Old Apr 9th 2012, 2:44 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by el_richo
All that money to be rained on all the time?
Ah but when it isn't raining....
Old Apr 9th 2012, 3:03 pm
Just Joined

Returninghome is an unknown quantity at this point

I lived in Vancouver on and off for about 10 years in total. I lived in the outskirts (Maple Ridge) when I was a kid, and everyone thought my Dad was nuts to Commute to North Van for work - that was 20+ years ago, and now days people would think nothing of the 1 hour drive to work...ugh.
I lived in Maple Ridge, New Westminster, North Vancouver, Granville, South Granville, and Kits.

I think price is what will determine where you end up. South Granville is beautiful, not too far from 'down-town' and easy to get around.

The thing about Vancouver is everyone lives in an 8 block radius of their home. You'll find that nothing is really far, groceries, liquor store, restaurant, ect.

The more space you want, the farther out of the city center you have to go. If you are not going to be working in the city then do check out White Rock. I used to work at Hotel Vancouver with a couple of people that used to do the commute to and from, so it can be done. Personally I could never do it - traffic can be ugly in the city.

Best of luck - and if you are not set on Vancouver, give Vancouver Island a chance it's heaven, trust me.
Old Apr 9th 2012, 3:34 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by convent girl
Ah but when it isn't raining....
Not worth it for 2 days a year.

Personally I prefer the view of the north shaw, not from it
Old Apr 10th 2012, 4:07 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I am not sure that West Vancouver is an ideal place for an immigrant to start a new life in Canada. It is pretty for sure, lovely views, and multi-million dollar homes as fas as the eye can see. Its inhabitants, both home grown and immigrants, are predominantly wealthy people - people bound up in their owns lives and not particularly looking for new friends.

It is not the sort of place you would spend a summer's evening drinking beer on your porch and inviting your neighbors to join you.

The impression I get is that there is not a great deal of open community spirit. People have their own closed social circles. I imagine it to be something like moving to a well-to-do village in the UK where all the socializing is done at the golf club or the yacht club. While there is no rule that you can't join the yacht or golf club both are currently full and not expecting to accept new members for several years.

Last edited by JonboyE; Apr 10th 2012 at 4:40 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2012, 4:36 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I am not sure that West Vancouver is an ideal place for an immigrant to start a new life in Canada. It is pretty for sure, lovely views, and multi-million dollar homes as fas as the eye can see. Its inhabitants, both home grown and immigrants, are predominantly wealthy people - people bound up in their owns lives and not particularly looking for new friends.

It is not the sort of place you would spend a summer's evening drinking beer on your porch and inviting your neighbors to join you.

The impression I get is that there is not a great deal of open community spirit. People have there own closed social circles. I imagine it to be something like moving to a well-to-do village in the UK where all the socializing is done at the golf club or the yacht club. While there is no rule that you can't join the yacht or golf club both are currently full and not expecting to accept new members for several years.
I think you make a very good point there.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 4:23 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE

The impression I get is that there is not a great deal of open community spirit. People have their own closed social circles. I imagine it to be something like moving to a well-to-do village in the UK where all the socializing is done at the golf club or the yacht club. While there is no rule that you can't join the yacht or golf club both are currently full and not expecting to accept new members for several years.
very true....west van is hyper snooty. It's like dating a good looking lass who has her head well up her.....you know what....nice to look at and show off, but no stimulating conversation will follow.

The place also died a death at alike 7 pm....

white rock in comparision is way friendlier. I already know half the street and find it a very down to earth place.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 4:25 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by Returninghome
I lived in Vancouver on and off for about 10 years in total. I lived in the outskirts (Maple Ridge) when I was a kid, and everyone thought my Dad was nuts to Commute to North Van for work - that was 20+ years ago, and now days people would think nothing of the 1 hour drive to work...ugh.
I lived in Maple Ridge, New Westminster, North Vancouver, Granville, South Granville, and Kits.

I think price is what will determine where you end up. South Granville is beautiful, not too far from 'down-town' and easy to get around.

The thing about Vancouver is everyone lives in an 8 block radius of their home. You'll find that nothing is really far, groceries, liquor store, restaurant, ect.

The more space you want, the farther out of the city center you have to go. If you are not going to be working in the city then do check out White Rock. I used to work at Hotel Vancouver with a couple of people that used to do the commute to and from, so it can be done. Personally I could never do it - traffic can be ugly in the city.

Best of luck - and if you are not set on Vancouver, give Vancouver Island a chance it's heaven, trust me.
yep another plug for whiterock/south surrey....a good hour to downtown though.
Old Apr 12th 2012, 5:40 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

But you carrying a gun might influence how friendly the neighbours become

white rock in comparision is way friendlier. I already know half the street and find it a very down to earth place.