Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone know of 'good' areas of Vancouver to reside?

Anyone know of 'good' areas of Vancouver to reside?

Old Apr 2nd 2012, 1:00 am
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone know of 'good' areas of Vancouver to reside?

Originally Posted by el_richo
Nice place. There's a house going for $5M the OP should look at
Could be a little on the pricey side, most expats budgets are around the mill to mill and a half.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 2:23 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Danny B
Could be a little on the pricey side, most expats budgets are around the mill to mill and a half.
The OP said price isn't a problem.

Maybe they should consider near Shaugnessy Park just of Granville. Great location. There's a nice place for $31M at the moment.

http://www.realtor.ca/propertyDetail...Key=1388100780
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 2:44 am
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
Have friends that live there. It's a very quiet, mainly 90's housing subdivision. It is similar to the north shore in terms of getting more snow/rain and being, well, up high and surrounded by forest. Agree about views etc. The downside imo is the lack of amenities in walking distance unless you're right by teh village - you really have to have a car or 2 or 3 to live there and it's quite far from Van.
I lived there about 10 years ago...ok, nice enough but very insular and boring. Everyone goes to coquitlam centre....i got sick of the place. I lasted 5months and went back downtown. Guess it comes down to what people are looking for really.

Very true about the climate., Everyone forgets about the other norhern areas of greater vancouver, even abby and mission, hell even areas of north Burnaby get similar amounts of rain to the north shore.

I ve noticed a huge difference where I am now. Not that its southern california or anything, but definately way better. I really do like the area and as a die hard vancouverist, i even suprised myself. It would be better if vancouver were closer but, you cant have it all!
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 2:57 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boy d
I lived there about 10 years ago...ok, nice enough but very insular and boring. Everyone goes to coquitlam centre....i got sick of the place. I lasted 5months and went back downtown. Guess it comes down to what people are looking for really.

Very true about the climate., Everyone forgets about the other norhern areas of greater vancouver, even abby and mission, hell even areas of north Burnaby get similar amounts of rain to the north shore.

I ve noticed a huge difference where I am now. Not that its southern california or anything, but definately way better. I really do like the area and as a die hard vancouverist, i even suprised myself. It would be better if vancouver were closer but, you cant have it all!
I love the white rock/south surrey area, and tsawwassen, too bad they can't move it closer
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 3:02 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

I was over your way yesteday. First time i've been for a while but crikey it's like one large buuilding site. I really hope it doesn't become the typical sprawl in the coming years

I read it's the fastest growing population in NA with over 1k people a month moving there. Crazyness!!!
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 3:03 am

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

I was over your way yesteday. First time i've been for a while but crikey it's like one large buuilding site. I really hope it doesn't become the typical sprawl in the coming years

I read it's the fastest growing population in NA with over 1k people a month moving there. Crazyness!!!
(well, not hte people moving in but the building site)
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 3:12 am
Beep

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
(well, not hte people moving in but the building site)
I still like the area though. Shame it's not feasible to commute to downtown otherwise we'd be living there i think
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 3:33 am

I still like the area though. Shame it's not feasible to commute to downtown otherwise we'd be living there i think
yup
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 4:20 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

I did White Rock to the south False Creek area for a couple of years. It is feasible but it does wear on you after a while.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 4:49 am
Beep

Originally Posted by JonboyE
I did White Rock to the south False Creek area for a couple of years. It is feasible but it does wear on you after a while.
I imagine.

The expense of time, car, parking, etc just isn't worth it for us (well my wife since i work at home).

Shame really.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 4:54 am

I imagine.

The expense of time, car, parking, etc just isn't worth it for us (well my wife since i work at home).

Shame really.
i've learnt the hard way that my sweet spot for commuting is no more than about 20-25 mins each way. Any more than that really eats into family time. I used to have a 3 hour a day commute. It was tough.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 5:43 am
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

We were in an odd situation, on the north shore but commuting to white rock and surrey.....so we moved. I went from an hour and 10 to about 20 mins commute. Our house was less than our north van condo.

South surrey is expanding, but seems to be well planned out, transit is still crap though. Love white rock....great vibe, tons of places to go, very friendly, although a bit on the mature side.....I am 2 blocks from the boarder crossing...
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 5:48 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

We were in an odd situation, on the north shore but commuting to white rock and surrey.....so we moved. I went from an hour and 10 to about 20 mins commute. Our house was less than our north van condo.

South surrey is expanding, but seems to be well planned out, transit is still crap though. Love white rock....great vibe, tons of places to go, very friendly, although a bit on the mature side.....I am 2 blocks from the boarder crossing...
I bet you think you've died and gone to heaven.
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 6:34 am
Forum Regular

nerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nicenerdherd is just really nice

a bit on the mature side.....
Without wishing to open a can of worms - what do you call 'mature'? For 20 year olds, 'mature' is those in their 40s, for 35 year olds it's those in their 60s, etc....

All relative! A friend of mine is thinking of moving to White Rock, and has also been told that it's 'a place for more mature folks'. He's struggling to find out whether said mature folks are as mature as he is, or more! He's in his mid 40s...
Old Apr 2nd 2012, 7:39 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

White Rock used to have the reputation (not entirely unjustified) of being a place where Vancouverites went to die. I think there is still a largeish population of seniors in the condo/apartment blocks around the Semiahmoo mall. However, it has changed a lot recently. Now that spring has just about sprung our street was full yesterday with kids riding bikes and playing street hockey.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.