Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

anyone know of any job going in toronto

anyone know of any job going in toronto

Old Jun 19th 2010, 1:57 pm
Pea Brain

R I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond reputeR I C H has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: anyone know of any job going in toronto

Originally Posted by black_adder
I have been applying to an average of 20 jobs per day and that includes all kind of jobs.
Perhaps therein lies your problem. What's that - perhaps 20 minutes per application? If you're going to make an impression each resume and letter needs to be specifically tailored to the job and business to which you're applying. That involves researching the company, understanding thoroughly what they need and ensuring your resume indicates equivalent or transferable experience, and a covering letter to help support/justify and go alongside.

I can't see that process taking less then a couple of hours, so be more realistic and apply to a handful each day with applications that'll make you stand out from generic responses.

Last edited by R I C H; Jun 19th 2010 at 2:00 pm.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 3:59 pm
Professional Cat herder

Zoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond reputeZoe Bell has a reputation beyond repute

IF you are looking at a specific field then an appointment with a recruitment consultant in that field would be a good investment

apparently most big companies ( and I guess some smaller ones) use key word filtering to weed through the initial batch of resumes for any position
if your resume doesn't contain the keywords it won't even make it to a human's eyes
Old Jun 19th 2010, 7:19 pm
Just Joined

black_adder is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Mr Bean
Are you taking the piss? If you want to work you'll find it. There's stacks of work everywhere in Toronto and the GTA.
It would be handy If you could also mention where I could find those 'stacks'?
Do you normally just pull a job out of those stacks or start from the top one?
Old Jun 20th 2010, 4:40 pm
Forum Regular

hrt2fnd is just really nicehrt2fnd is just really nicehrt2fnd is just really nicehrt2fnd is just really nicehrt2fnd is just really nicehrt2fnd is just really nicehrt2fnd is just really nicehrt2fnd is just really nice

I have been applying to an average of 20 jobs per day and that includes all kind of jobs.
Perhaps therein lies your problem. What's that - perhaps 20 minutes per application? If you're going to make an impression each resume and letter needs to be specifically tailored to the job and business to which you're applying. That involves researching the company, understanding thoroughly what they need and ensuring your resume indicates equivalent or transferable experience, and a covering letter to help support/justify and go alongside.

I can't see that process taking less then a couple of hours, so be more realistic and apply to a handful each day with applications that'll make you stand out from generic responses.
Exactly - my average per day was about 2 aplications, max. 3. I did not apply to jobs that wouldnt fit at least 70-80% to my work experience.... . but even these 2-3 apps per day kept me business...
Old Jun 20th 2010, 6:05 pm
Forum Regular

KerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really niceKerinaK2008 is just really nice

Hi Black Adder,

Can I ask what field of work you have experience in? I often found for me a similar pattern. I managed to get call backs for a few jobs nearly totally matching my previous roles in the UK. Anything in the same field but a bit different it was rejection letter or no reply. It may also be worth trying a few head offices in retail to get your foot in the door. Loblaw and Canadian Tire head office I remember getting call backs during my first few months here. I managed to land a contract job in the local government but now having to look for something else. Don't give up, I know it can be frustrating. Good luck with your search. What search engines do you use to search for jobs at the moment? I maybe be able to give you a few that i found useful.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 1:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

It would be handy If you could also mention where I could find those 'stacks'?
Do you normally just pull a job out of those stacks or start from the top one?
This morning I bought a coffee from Tim Horton's on Parliament. The overnight guy didn't speak and checked the coins I gave him against a chart of Canadian coinage. I can't help but think that someone who speaks English and knows the local money could displace him. You could pitch yourself there. Alternatively you could join the woman in the car park, she of the perfect received pronunciation,

"I'm terribly sorry to bother you but could you perchance spare..."
Old Jun 21st 2010, 1:33 pm
Forum Regular

gaz77 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi can i ask are things that bad?cic in london have just requested our pass ports for PR visa. i cant understand that there are no jobs in toronto or gta.we were looking to be moving in the near future it as us thinking are we doing the right thing.we have good jobs here in the uk.any comments please!
Old Jun 21st 2010, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Partially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond reputePartially discharged has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
This morning I bought a coffee from Tim Horton's on Parliament.
er, dbd, are you sure you're feeling OK...you willingly went to "Timmies" the mecca of the to be avoided at all costs 'cradles'. Or is the Timmies you went to some sort of enclave on Parliament that is not frequented by the great unwashed.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 2:02 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Partially discharged
er, dbd, are you sure you're feeling OK...you willingly went to "Timmies" the mecca of the to be avoided at all costs 'cradles'. Or is the Timmies you went to some sort of enclave on Parliament that is not frequented by the great unwashed.
The other choices on the block are Coffee Time, which doesn't seem any different to me than Tim Horton's, and Jet Fuel, where I am not cool enough to go due to the lack of the uniform individualistic sleeve tattoo, and which is, anyway, not open in the morning. I'm afraid I quite often go to that Tim Horton's though, in my defence, I would say that "washed" poorly describes most of the clientelle.
Old Jun 21st 2010, 10:49 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by gaz77
hi can i ask are things that bad?cic in london have just requested our pass ports for PR visa. i cant understand that there are no jobs in toronto or gta.we were looking to be moving in the near future it as us thinking are we doing the right thing.we have good jobs here in the uk.any comments please!
If you have good jobs then IMO why do you want to move to the GTA? Presumably you have looked into whether or not there are jobs in your field. Though we did this and were even offered jobs on arrival nothing materialised

Look at the Job Bank website for vacancies and make some enquiries before you move.
Old Jun 22nd 2010, 8:07 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

You pays your money, you takes your chance.

If you can afford, and are happy to be, unemployed living in the GTA for a year or so then don't worry about it.

If you can't, or would be unhappy doing so, why risk it?

Old Jun 22nd 2010, 12:25 pm
Forum Regular

dinoffc is an unknown quantity at this point

If you don't already have jobs over here and good jobs in the UK, I would seriously think twice. Has ruined the experience for me so far.