Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

anyone know of any job going in toronto

anyone know of any job going in toronto

Old Jun 18th 2010, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

black_adder is an unknown quantity at this point
Default anyone know of any job going in toronto

Does anyone know of any type of job going in toronto? General labour, warehouse, bar work, shop work, retail etc

I know I shouldnt be posting this here but after being in Canada for quite a while now without a job, I have learnt the fact that you can only get jobs through networking

Where is the big network that I seem to be totally out of?
Old Jun 18th 2010, 4:10 pm
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: anyone know of any job going in toronto

Originally Posted by black_adder
Does anyone know of any type of job going in toronto? General labour, warehouse, bar work, shop work, retail etc

I know I shouldnt be posting this here but after being in Canada for quite a while now without a job, I have learnt the fact that you can only get jobs through networking

I'm sorry to say that even when you are in a network it's hard to find jobs. Have you tried all the newcomer's centres etc? Agencies can send you off for occasional work, minimum wage things, or try security companies.

Good luck
Old Jun 18th 2010, 4:30 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

The network is all the people you know and contacts you build up. If you frequent a bar, ask if they have a job, same with restaurants and stores. Keep a few resumes with you and hand them out at businesses you go to. Even this site can be part of a network, asking like you have just done. You never know where it may come from.

I am presuming you the right to work in Canada and are not a visitor.

http://www.jobbank.gc.ca/

You could also give these guys a call http://www.senior-link.com/index.htm and get an employment counselor through HRSDC office.
Old Jun 18th 2010, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

black_adder is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks.
I landed on PR this year in Feb. Got all the paper work done. Looked around for jobs in Ottawa. No luck.
Came to toronto. Been looking around but no luck yet. I have been applying to an average of 20 jobs per day and that includes all kind of jobs. The only replies I get back are scammers. Or agencies advertising fake jobs so you go there hoping to get interviewed but just end up being registered.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 12:18 am
Pretty Fly For A Whiteguy

Mr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond repute

Are you taking the piss? If you want to work you'll find it. There's stacks of work everywhere in Toronto and the GTA.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 12:24 am
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Mr Bean
Are you taking the piss? If you want to work you'll find it. There's stacks of work everywhere in Toronto and the GTA.
Who do you think you are? Your post has made me so angry. The man has been looking for work, he's even moved cities in search of it.

I take it that you are employed and OK? You haven't shown an ounce of understanding or sympathy for the OP let alone offer any advice.

Sheesh. Why not kick a man when he's feeling low eh??
Old Jun 19th 2010, 12:36 am

Mr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond reputeMr Bean has a reputation beyond repute

Well everyone else on this board seems to get freedom of speech. Sorry for having an opinion.

I'm merely stating that if you want to work then you will. If you don't then you won't. If the person keeps looking I'm sure he/she'll will find themselves something suitable.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 12:39 am

To answer your post, I am not anywhere near OK at the moment but I am working between three jobs to make pay a mortgage, support four children and try to remain sane. In all honesty I have absolutely no time for anyone who won't try. Perhaps this person in question is doing all they can. That's great. You can, not all the time, try harder though.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 12:46 am
Account Closed

To answer your post, I am not anywhere near OK at the moment but I am working between three jobs to make pay a mortgage, support four children and try to remain sane. In all honesty I have absolutely no time for anyone who won't try. Perhaps this person in question is doing all they can. That's great. You can, not all the time, try harder though.
That's just it though, your post was strongly implying that he wasn't trying and that jobs are out there just for the taking.

I know someone who was laid off in February and who has applied for every job he sees. He gets work maybe one day a week at minimum wage. So he is worse off taking that job than he would be on EI, but he takes the job because he wants to be working. He's trying, he really wants a job and can't get one. The agencies have little work to offer, the government run employment places say there are next to no jobs around.

Comments such as "if you want to work you will find it" are, well, they are plainly wrong.

edit. I probably should have posted a reply on the lines of "can't you be kinder" but I didn't.

Last edited by fledermaus; Jun 19th 2010 at 12:59 am.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 1:03 am
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Ok, this may seem daft to some, and I dont know your status etc...when I first came to the US, and work and money got tight.. I ended up going in the service, have you thought about it? I certainly know its not an option for many...

http://www.forces.ca/
Old Jun 19th 2010, 1:28 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SDDep
Ok, this may seem daft to some, and I dont know your status etc...when I first came to the US, and work and money got tight.. I ended up going in the service, have you thought about it? I certainly know its not an option for many...

http://www.forces.ca/
Along those lines, I passed a bus today with an advert on it "Peel Police are Recruiting". Cop in the 'burbs isn't my dream job, but it is work.
Old Jun 19th 2010, 1:37 am

Originally Posted by fledermaus
Comments such as "if you want to work you will find it" are, well, they are plainly wrong.
I lost my job last May. Since then I have managed to do whatever it takes to keep my family above water. Agencies suck. Since April this year I have sent out 82 resumees for jobs more suited to my line of work. I have had one thank you and 81 no replies. That does not stop me from working three "shitty" paid jobs to make ends meet whilst still actively seeking a better, more suited job.

My biggest problem is my principals of NEVER EVER signing with an agency have had to go out of the window. Unfortunately the vast majority of employers over here seem to deal with agencies.

Yet another one of the joys of being me I suppose...
Old Jun 19th 2010, 7:00 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Is Canada really worth all of this hardship and stress?

OP, is it not possible to also look for work in the UK? Have you tried Vancouver, Calgary, Montreal, Winnipeg, Victoria, Windsor, Oshawa, etc?

Old Jun 19th 2010, 1:14 pm
Not around much..

SDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond reputeSDDep has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks.
I landed on PR this year in Feb. Got all the paper work done. Looked around for jobs in Ottawa. No luck.
Came to toronto. Been looking around but no luck yet. I have been applying to an average of 20 jobs per day and that includes all kind of jobs. The only replies I get back are scammers. Or agencies advertising fake jobs so you go there hoping to get interviewed but just end up being registered.
Somewhat related..

I know what you are going through and I think a lot of people can empathise..

When i first got to the US, I worked in a grocery store in produce, then target, stocking shelves...it was all pretty crap...had to make the big decision and give em four years of my life...all worked out in the end...

From what I've heard the Canadian forces aint a bad gig...can open a lot of doors down the line...think about it...
Old Jun 19th 2010, 1:16 pm
Not around much..

I lost my job last May. Since then I have managed to do whatever it takes to keep my family above water. Agencies suck. Since April this year I have sent out 82 resumees for jobs more suited to my line of work. I have had one thank you and 81 no replies. That does not stop me from working three "shitty" paid jobs to make ends meet whilst still actively seeking a better, more suited job.

My biggest problem is my principals of NEVER EVER signing with an agency have had to go out of the window. Unfortunately the vast majority of employers over here seem to deal with agencies.

Yet another one of the joys of being me I suppose...
Chin up Bricktop...feed em all to the pigs...good luck though....seriously.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.