Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone keep chickens?!

Anyone keep chickens?!

Old Oct 2nd 2009, 2:22 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone keep chickens?!

Originally Posted by Falcore
Wow!!! That I did not expect! Thanks so much for all the info Am thinking I may well wait a while before I look into getting my Canadian Chicks!
Ack! If you just want a few in the backyard just don't tell anyone you have them.
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 2:59 pm
Forum Regular

Location: Seaside town in Somerset, UK... but hopefully somewhere in NS soon!
FiByTheSeaside is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by dbd33
The laws governing agricultural products in Ontario would make an EU bureaucrat proud. Basically, you can keep up to 300 chickens so long as they're registered and you track purchased feed given to them. However this doesn't mean that you can sell poultry products.

There's a "farm gate" exemption for eggs sales, meaning that you can sell them over the fence but it's not lawful to sell free range eggs, all eggs for legal sale must come from chickens raised on concrete floors or in cages. If you do want to sell eggs you need an egg sanitizing machine and a quota (good luck with getting one of those, the cost is such that it only works if you're running a chicken concentration camp).

In consequence of the regulations a distribution network similar to those for marijuana or raw milk has sprung up around me. I drop off eggs in dark places ar strange hours and money, cash only, small bills, flows back to me. Note that there is a strong "**** the government" attitude among many people in the country so places like the feed mill and the poultry dealers make an effort not to comply with the regulations; 99% of the chicken feed I've purchased has been by unrecorded transaction, it's only the TSC store that requires your SIN, sample DNA and a photograph of your gun licence before selling you grain.
wow! Thank you DB for all the info about chickens etc. You're a font of knowledge indeed and the idea of having to go 'underground' to sell free range eggs made me lol!!!
Old Oct 2nd 2009, 3:03 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by FiByTheSeaside
wow! Thank you DB for all the info about chickens etc. You're a font of knowledge indeed and the idea of having to go 'underground' to sell free range eggs made me lol!!!
So much I have learned while in the country.
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

fuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond reputefuschiagirl has a reputation beyond repute

So much I have learned while in the country.
For how long do chickens continue laying?
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 5:01 am
BE Forum Addict

AlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond reputeAlexInBC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fuschiagirl
For how long do chickens continue laying?
Depends... Our main layers (hybrids: http://www.millerhatcheries.com/Prod...wn_Leghorn.htm) seem to slow down in their 3rd year, but I think that might be because they've been bred to lay so intensively and they "burn out" (we get 5-6 eggs per hen, per week, at their peak.) We don't get rid when they become unproductive, though...we wait for nature to take its course. It doesn't seem to take long for that to happen with the laying hens. Our more "ornamental" breeds seem to live longer.

As long as they, as a group, earn us enough in egg sales to cover their feed, we don't mind if there are some that aren't laying regularly...
Old Oct 3rd 2009, 9:41 am
Living life again!!!!!!!

Falcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond reputeFalcore has a reputation beyond repute

Ack! If you just want a few in the backyard just don't tell anyone you have them.

True and sounds like the best plan of attack in Ontario! All I need now is that pesky little visa
Old Oct 4th 2009, 6:45 am
Forum Regular

hobbitess is on a distinguished road

Like minded. LOL
Old Oct 4th 2009, 5:20 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pennyhp

Keeping your own chickens is great. You really can't beat your own fresh eggs.
Sorry, but
Old Oct 4th 2009, 5:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Alberta_Rose
Sorry, but
Well obviously that was an intentional pun..................NOT.

Thank you so much for pointing it out.