Anyone help?

Old Feb 26th 2007, 6:28 pm
Just Joined

NSSmiths is an unknown quantity at this point
Post Anyone help?

Hi there,
My family and I are moving to Halifax in April on a work permit, and then plan to apply for PR with the PNP.
We lived in Moncton, NB for two years (2002-2004) on a military exchange program - fell in love with the Maritimes, and vowed to return on the retirement of my OH. We are now at that point. OH has a perm.job offer. We have two children, (6 and 4).
I have a question, and would be grateful for any views on the subject.
Is there a big difference in the standards of education in private and public education? Here in UK our eldest attends a pretty good state school. As private school seems to be more affordable on Canada (with our UK pounds!) is it really worth it? I'm not sure how to find out without the equivalent of OFSTED. I am also concerned that if my child is the only one in the neighbourhood at private school, then out of school friends will be few and far between! Not good for settling in.
Thanks.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 6:35 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone help?

Originally Posted by NSSmiths
. I am also concerned that if my child is the only one in the neighbourhood at private school, then out of school friends will be few and far between! Not good for settling in.
Thanks.
That would be my main concern at that age. I dont think there is much of a case to send kids to private school, you dont hear much grumbling about the state of canadian public schools in general here. Perhaps the lack of league tables and standardised testing leaves teachers free to concentrate on what they are best at...teaching kids.

Last edited by iaink; Feb 26th 2007 at 7:31 pm.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 7:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Location: The Vancouver Suburbs... for the next few years anyway!
The TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud of

I agree that you will be segregating your children if you send them to private school. Locally they won't know the other kids - who will all go to school together - which will definitely make it harder to make friends.

I only knew 1 kid who went to private school when I grew up in Canada and she only went for 3 years of high school and she boarded to avoid the whole "you're a snob" angle.

Generally public schools are good in Canada - if you wanted a more international education check out the international baccalaureate program!
Old Feb 26th 2007, 7:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

OK - it could be that you can find some information on the fraser report cards (wiki should have link, but these may not be avalaible for your area) and I have used these to shortlist schools we are interested in to those which perform at average or above average. I have got some more info from web profiles which has helped narrow it down and combined with mls helped me come up with a credible shortlist

I thought about private education, I think it is much cheaper as the state subsidises it to around 60-75% of the state subsidy (although no doubt this varies between the provinces) , but certainly in the area we are hoping to go (Calgary) it looks like the state system can be pretty good and the private system very pushy and academic (and sometimes very religious), which is not what I want in early years aducation at all. Also to us , the whole point is to embrace a bit of canadian lifestyle which we feel a private school wouldn't. To us the state system looks pretty good, the teacher student ratios are good and there are choices of program and I like the broader emphasis on sport with better facilities at elementary than most primary schools here. Of course everyhting I say could be clagray specific and we haven't actually set foot in any schools yet!!!!

Gryphea
Old Feb 26th 2007, 7:40 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The TWs
if you wanted a more international education check out the international baccalaureate program!
I think this is excellent advice. My children took the bac in an ordinary state school and they come real well educated. I don't think you could get the same standard of academic education in the UK without paying for it. Aside from the merits of the course itself I think the fact that a school offers the program suggests an interest in academics that may be missing from other institutions.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 7:55 pm
Thinking the unthinkable.

Madmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond reputeMadmac has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
I think this is excellent advice. My children took the bac in an ordinary state school and they come real well educated. I don't think you could get the same standard of academic education in the UK without paying for it. Aside from the merits of the course itself I think the fact that a school offers the program suggests an interest in academics that may be missing from other institutions.

There have been rumblings about introducing it as the academic qualification in Scotland's high school system. With international recognition it would be a great qualification for any kid.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 7:55 pm
Just Joined

NSSmiths is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks everyone, really helpful.
My feelings are that it it VERY important for the kids to make friends in the neigbourhood, and feel at home.The sucess of the move depends on them being happy. I will look at the IB qual. - what a fab idea.
If the kids are desperate to leave Canada to study later, then it really gives them awesomw options (provided they pass of course )
What a nightmare to be the only kid on the block with a posh uniform!! I don't think they would ever forgive me
I have checked out a couple of websites of Kindergarten schools, and offspring Number One was sold on the calender of events for Feb. that included 'ice cream day' and 'Wacky hair day'

Thanks again.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 7:59 pm
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NSSmiths
Thanks everyone, really helpful.
My feelings are that it it VERY important for the kids to make friends in the neigbourhood, and feel at home.The sucess of the move depends on them being happy. I will look at the IB qual. - what a fab idea.
If the kids are desperate to leave Canada to study later, then it really gives them awesomw options (provided they pass of course )
What a nightmare to be the only kid on the block with a posh uniform!! I don't think they would ever forgive me
I have checked out a couple of websites of Kindergarten schools, and offspring Number One was sold on the calender of events for Feb. that included 'ice cream day' and 'Wacky hair day'

Thanks again.

List of bac schools here : http://www.ibo.org/
Old Feb 26th 2007, 8:07 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
List of bac schools here : http://www.ibo.org/
Do you really need to be worrying about that when the kids are only 4 and 6?
Old Feb 26th 2007, 8:13 pm

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by iaink
That would be my main concern at that age. I dont think there is much of a case to send kids to private school, you dont hear much grumbling about the state of canadian public schools in general here. Perhaps the lack of league tables and standardised testing leaves teachers free to concentrate on what they are best at...teaching kids.

I always look forward to your answers
Old Feb 26th 2007, 8:14 pm
Assimilated Pauper

Do you really need to be worrying about that when the kids are only 4 and 6?
Yes. If you want them to be in with a chance then you want to be in the appropriate school district. If you wait until they're ten you potentially have to move and then may be below long term residents on waiting lists. If you haven't yet chosen where to live then you may as well choose the best school district (the one offering the bac) from the beginning, otherwise you're just going to be in for a bunch of tutoring bills when they have to compete.
Old Feb 26th 2007, 8:19 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by or4ngecrush
I always look forward to your answers
Maybe I should charge for them then

No? I guess karma will have to do then.

Last edited by iaink; Feb 26th 2007 at 8:47 pm.
Old Feb 28th 2007, 5:57 am

or4ngecrush is an unknown quantity at this point

Maybe I should charge for them then

No? I guess karma will have to do then.
lol I did look for Karma for it but I lost it, I'll check again
Old Feb 28th 2007, 12:21 pm
BE Enthusiast

Liana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really niceLiana is just really nice

Despite the positive aspect of state schools here on this thread unfortunately there is a difference- the same as the difference in England. And the private schools here have a great diverse group of parents- they are not all rich

Depends where you are going to live- if you are outside Halifax but are working in the city it would not make any difference sending them to a private school on the Peninsula. Living in the city also would not make any difference. Working and living outside would perhaps be different and you may want to send your children to a local school.

Anyway, welcome to Canada - hope you settle in well and have a great stay.