Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone heard from Mississauga

Anyone heard from Mississauga

Old May 18th 2006, 4:28 pm
Chilled out Cheshire Cat

Garfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud of
Default Re: Anyone heard from Mississauga

[QUOTE=jimbunting]
Originally Posted by cov-canuck
Do you know enough NOT to bring any electrical appliances as they won't work here, with a different voltage system? How about winter clothing? Or getting used to the HOT summers? All important stuff to find out about.

Jim Bunting. Toronto.
Hi Jim,

I see you are quite a new member on here, so welcome first of all. I will warn you of a few things though :

- some know quite a lot and are very helpful
- some members like to have a good old moan about all sorts of things
- some think they know it all and don't believe a word you say
- some are very genuine and down to earth
- some just talk verbal diorhoea
- some take offence at the slightest thing
- some can poke fun at others but can't take it themselves
- many are just on here to find out some genuine info and many are happy to help

I don't think I've covered everything but just gives an insight, I just try not to wind people up these days (not too much anyway )

I think the items you mentioned though at the end of your post go without saying, these are just some of the basics everyone seems to know about without really thinking. In fact on the electrical appliance side your statement is not quite true because if you buy a transformer you can still use them. We can buy 110v tools from USA and use them here under 240v with the transformer.
Old May 18th 2006, 4:55 pm
Forum Regular

Mystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really nice

Congratulations Mr Lee.
Phil (hubby) should hopefully get his soon. We have just put the house on the market.

Karen
Old May 18th 2006, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mr Lee
Well, the postman's just been and delivered a recorded delivery envelope from CHC London containing my passport with a nice new shiny Canadian visa inside, complete with the word "Immigrant"!

YYYYEEEEEEESSSSSSSSS!!!

So, those who aren't far behind me on their time-lines, don't leave the house until after the postman's been for the next week or so!

Now there's just baby's citizenship and passports (GB and Canadian) to get sorted, removal quotes to finalise, shipping companies to choose, house sale to complete, farewells to be said, removals to be made and a final trip to the airport.

Canada, here I come!
Hi
congrats
so we will be about a week away hopefully.
Cheers
Jerry
Old May 18th 2006, 6:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by VCox
Great news Jerry, seems to have happened really quickly once you got over that initial setback. When/where are you landing? I landed at Vancouver two weeks ago, v straightforward and took just under an hour (45 mins of that was spent in the queue).

V
Hiya,
Well if all goes according to our estimated plan...
If the house sale continues OK, we move out first week of july, and hopefully the passport will have arrived for first week of june, one months notice to my employers, so, fingers crossed, if we can get flights & hotel/etc , we should be landing second week of july, at Vancouver, I would personally like to be there before the 15th, my birthday. molsons....
Glad your landing went OK and smooth.
Must go, more packing / sorting, had the second removals firm around today , still no quotes yet tho' , but so far it's still only a 20' container.
Cheers
Jerry
Old May 18th 2006, 7:22 pm

jimbunting is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Garfielduk]
Originally Posted by jimbunting

Hi Jim,

I see you are quite a new member on here, so welcome first of all. I will warn you of a few things though :

- some know quite a lot and are very helpful
- some members like to have a good old moan about all sorts of things
- some think they know it all and don't believe a word you say
- some are very genuine and down to earth
- some just talk verbal diorhoea
- some take offence at the slightest thing
- some can poke fun at others but can't take it themselves
- many are just on here to find out some genuine info and many are happy to help

I don't think I've covered everything but just gives an insight, I just try not to wind people up these days (not too much anyway )

I think the items you mentioned though at the end of your post go without saying, these are just some of the basics everyone seems to know about without really thinking. In fact on the electrical appliance side your statement is not quite true because if you buy a transformer you can still use them. We can buy 110v tools from USA and use them here under 240v with the transformer.

My wife works at the University of Toronto, and deals with Proffs and Doctors, from all over the world, who are here for a year or two as faculty.

You would think that they would be smart enough to know the things that I mentioned, wouldn't you? But each of those things comes from actual experience, where somebody arrived in the dead of winter, dressed in summer clothing and sandals. Or paid thousands to ship useless household appliances here from South Africa. Or thought that they didn't have to pay income tax in Canada, as they were not a Canadian citizen. Or tried to bring their parents with them to Canada, without any paperwork.

As for the converters, yes it would work, but I'd be worried about a fire hazard.
Old May 18th 2006, 7:37 pm
Chilled out Cheshire Cat

Garfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud ofGarfielduk has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=jimbunting]
Originally Posted by Garfielduk

My wife works at the University of Toronto, and deals with Proffs and Doctors, from all over the world, who are here for a year or two as faculty.

You would think that they would be smart enough to know the things that I mentioned, wouldn't you? But each of those things comes from actual experience, where somebody arrived in the dead of winter, dressed in summer clothing and sandals. Or paid thousands to ship useless household appliances here from South Africa. Or thought that they didn't have to pay income tax in Canada, as they were not a Canadian citizen. Or tried to bring their parents with them to Canada, without any paperwork.

As for the converters, yes it would work, but I'd be worried about a fire hazard.
Yes, I see what you are saying, you would think that if they had managed to get through all the immigration criteria due to qualification, etc that they would know a few of the basics. However, I have come across more than a few people in my time that have had the highest qualifications and just do not have any common sense !
Old May 19th 2006, 12:33 pm

jimbunting is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE=Garfielduk]
Originally Posted by jimbunting

Yes, I see what you are saying, you would think that if they had managed to get through all the immigration criteria due to qualification, etc that they would know a few of the basics. However, I have come across more than a few people in my time that have had the highest qualifications and just do not have any common sense !
I agree with that 100percent. My Wife is the business manager for a U or T research institute, and she deals with the Post Doctoral fellows, who are here in Canada for a two year period of study and research in to Bio Ethics.

They usually arrive in September, so she has all of them ( 30 to 40 people ) in for a "introduction to Canada " all day training session. She covers how to apply for a Social Insurance Number card, how to open a bank account, how to rent an apartment ( no we don't provide one for you ! ) why they have to buy a city map, and how to shop for food in a supermarket.

She spends all day with them and also has a 30 page hand out that has it all in print. For the next month she has at least 3 people at her door every day asking the same dumb questions about how to get a U of T library card, or where the International student office is located. These are mid-career professionals, in their thirties, who should be able to pick up the idea quickly but don't seem to be able to function outside of their narrow field of study.

Jim Bunting. Toronto.
Old May 19th 2006, 5:14 pm
Forum Regular

Mystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really niceMystic Kazza is just really nice

Well , that`s me done and dusted . My passport arrived this morning with a nice shiny visa inside . YEEEEAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

House on the market and looking for jobs .

CANADA HERE WE COME !!!!!!

Best regards to all

Phil
Old May 19th 2006, 5:58 pm
Kelly

kellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Mystic Kazza
Well , that`s me done and dusted . My passport arrived this morning with a nice shiny visa inside . YEEEEAAAAAHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Best regards to all

Phil

Brilliant news, congratulations, have a good night
Cheers
Kelly
Old May 19th 2006, 9:30 pm
Chilled out Cheshire Cat

[QUOTE=jimbunting]

These are mid-career professionals, in their thirties, who should be able to pick up the idea quickly but don't seem to be able to function outside of their narrow field of study.

Jim Bunting. Toronto.
Yes, you wonder how these people actually get through the day don't you. I've seen so many times the people that have excellent qualifications on paper but when they operate in the workplace are just damned awful, there is no functionality at all and they cannot put into practice what they have learnt in theory, I guess it's like a parrot really !
Old May 19th 2006, 9:42 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

[QUOTE=jimbunting]

I agree with that 100percent. My Wife is the business manager for a U or T research institute, and she deals with the Post Doctoral fellows, who are here in Canada for a two year period of study and research in to Bio Ethics.

They usually arrive in September, so she has all of them ( 30 to 40 people ) in for a "introduction to Canada " all day training session. She covers how to apply for a Social Insurance Number card, how to open a bank account, how to rent an apartment ( no we don't provide one for you ! ) why they have to buy a city map, and how to shop for food in a supermarket.

She spends all day with them and also has a 30 page hand out that has it all in print. For the next month she has at least 3 people at her door every day asking the same dumb questions about how to get a U of T library card, or where the International student office is located. These are mid-career professionals, in their thirties, who should be able to pick up the idea quickly but don't seem to be able to function outside of their narrow field of study.

Jim Bunting. Toronto.
You could apply the above to virtually any group in that age range these days. It certainly isn't exclusive to to the ones you are referring to.

Huge numbers of people out in the world today don't seem to have the wherewithal to organise themselves or apply the knowledge they have gained.

As a former co-worker used to say. "They couldn't organise a one man race to a two hole outhouse."

Cheers
Steve
Old May 20th 2006, 7:50 am
BE Enthusiast

Best regards to all

Phil

Hi
Conrats..nearly missed your post in the thread.
Good luck with the house sale, the market seems strong enough if you don't over price, we went for the best of three valuations and sold within a week.
Cheers
Jerry ( who keeps checking the post box,[where's my brown envelope] )
Old May 20th 2006, 4:48 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by jerry brewer
Hi
Conrats..nearly missed your post in the thread.
Good luck with the house sale, the market seems strong enough if you don't over price, we went for the best of three valuations and sold within a week.
Cheers
Jerry ( who keeps checking the post box,[where's my brown envelope] )
Cheers Mate

I think/hope we`ve priced the house right , it`d be nice if sold within a few weeks though - heres to hoping ...

Keep waiting , you`ll get your brown envelope anytime now you`ll see.

Best of luck
Phil

This turned into one hell of a thread didn`t it ?
Old May 20th 2006, 6:25 pm
Kelly

kellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to allkellydrew is a name known to all

Cheers Mate

I think/hope we`ve priced the house right , it`d be nice if sold within a few weeks though - heres to hoping ...

Keep waiting , you`ll get your brown envelope anytime now you`ll see.

Best of luck
Phil

This turned into one hell of a thread didn`t it ?
Yeh

Lets see if we can make it to 500 posts
Old May 20th 2006, 6:37 pm
Chilled out Cheshire Cat

Originally Posted by kellydrew
Yeh

Lets see if we can make it to 500 posts
Maybe a bit more off topic stuff might do it

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.