Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone enjoying their new life in Canada?

Anyone enjoying their new life in Canada?

Old May 19th 2010, 9:02 pm
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone enjoying their new life in Canada?

Coming up for 3 years and not one thought about going back to the UK or anywhere else.
Old May 19th 2010, 9:16 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

I'll make a straight contribution for once.

We came the first time in 1982 and stayed 4 years then we returned here in 1993. I've been perfectly satisfied with living in the GTA for all those years.

However, as I've mentioned before, in a few years we retire, and we won't be staying in Canada after that. Enough is enough.
Old May 19th 2010, 9:35 pm
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

I like it now - it took a while - I hated it last Nov. . .
Old May 19th 2010, 10:21 pm
Nuther day in paradise.ca

magnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond reputemagnumpi has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs up Re: Anyone enjoying their new life in Canada?

We are in the GTA, East side, and all is good.

I think it's what you make it, it is very easy to just stay in all after your day at work and not talk to anyone, never make friends and long for UK bacon n egg butties.

OR

You can try and integrate with the community, join clubs ect, have a great life in a new country and like donuts. Weather helps too, here in T.O. it is 26c today, 28c forecast for tmw, not stay in and watch TV weather. We have a 14 yr old son, he is constantly busy with soccer, school camps, RC planes and clubs and generally always doing some thing.

We got to go back to the UK in August for my older sons wedding, looking fwd to that , but would rather go to the Caribbean for 2 weeks rather than the UK.

For us
Old May 19th 2010, 10:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud of

Been here 18 months. LOVE LOVE LOVE it! Haven't had it easy by any means. Establishing new careers here has taken time (still is!) and the money situation is far from easy but we're getting there and we wouldn't go back for anything.

Go for it....I'm sure you won't regret it, but you might regret it if you don't at least stick a big toe in the water......
Old May 19th 2010, 10:48 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Coming up to...OMG....6 years.

Just as happy here as in the UK with the added attraction that I was able to give up work here whereas in the UK I couldn't have done that.

That outweighs the bloody snow clearing.
Old May 19th 2010, 11:04 pm
Just Joined

janet1964 is an unknown quantity at this point

I have been here 9 years love it here & have no desire to every move from Canada, I still see my family who are in England, they come out here & I have been back there twice. Canada is a great place to live & bring a family, & it is like anywhere else it is what ever you make it !!! Good luck with your immigration & I hope you love it here , just as much as I do
Old May 19th 2010, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

mardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond reputemardyarse has a reputation beyond repute

We didn't get "cold feet" we just got stressed and fed up with immigration taking so long.

We were very realistic about what we were leaving.........."cock all" in my opinion. The day we left our area saw the worst flooding in history and they coped like a third world country! Floods, recession and all they need now is a plague of locusts and my job will be done!!

Our life here is more than we ever allowed ourselves to dream of. Its not just the material things (which I won't deny help a huge amount) its about the little things. ie: leaving the kids bikes outside for weeks on end without getting nicked, general politeness and willing to help from Canadians, no crowds, parking spaces big enough to park a car in! Better health care, education, proximity to US borders, four seasons in a year and sometimes in a day! Laid back, no class system, National pride in their country, unwaivering support to their athletes, troops, emergency workers, fairer country all round.

I believe you will find no perfect place to live, afterall if it were perfect then everybody would want to live there, thus making it imperfect. We've carved ourselves a wonderful life here, fully integrated and waiting for our citizenship. We've never been back to the UK since we moved in July 07 and have no intention of spending our hard earned cash to see what we left behind.

Not saying any of this was easy but even when things were at their worst we never once blamed it on the country it was all self inflicted stress because we were new and we dream big. Never regretted a day of new life in Canada because I can honestly say if you're doing your best, you won't have any time to worry about failure. Best of luck and enjoy the journey
Old May 19th 2010, 11:22 pm
Forum Regular

PaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nicePaulOK is just really nice

Very happy here - No regrets.
Old May 19th 2010, 11:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

Eastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud ofEastbound has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Tangram
Coming up for 3 years and not one thought about going back to the UK or anywhere else.
We also came here 3 years ago .Moved round a little initially to find the right place that fitted us and are really happy here .
Old May 19th 2010, 11:44 pm
Tea Drinker

Danny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond reputeDanny B has a reputation beyond repute

3 years in the Loops and we are all very happy. I'm not going to retire here, but Canada will be my home for the foreseeable future.
Old May 19th 2010, 11:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

macadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond reputemacadian has a reputation beyond repute

Been here since 2004. I now have the kind of life style I always dreamed of...never thinking that it would ever come about. Late in life to be sure but thankful that the opportunity presented itself. Better late than never!
Old May 20th 2010, 12:09 am
BE Enthusiast

airbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond reputeairbornesapper has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PaulOK
Very happy here - No regrets.
Ditto....

23 years done and dusted.........
Old May 20th 2010, 3:51 am
Bon Vivant

Simon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond reputeSimon Legree has a reputation beyond repute

Forty one years and not one second of regret. Life is good.
Old May 20th 2010, 4:10 am
BE Enthusiast

jerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond reputejerry brewer has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michelle101
Hi everyone,

I don't know if this is just my cold feet but just been reading a few threads on the forum and they seem to be very negative.

We've just got our PR through, OH just got redundancy (just at the right time for us) and we sold our house this weekend in 48 hours, for over the asking price. Everything seems to be falling into place apart from the abysmal exchange rate.

We have a very good life in the UK and are going to Canada for an adventure with a view to returning in 12 months if we want to, or maybe we'll stay. We have a daughter (8) and we're heading for the north shore of vancouver.

Some good experiences of Canadian life would be good to hear right now.

M.
Hi
I must admitt i rarely visit this board, it tends to remind me of why I left the UK.
Anyway on to the question, we have one regret moving to Canada, and that is that we didn't do it years before, for us, we still occasionally pinch ourselves to be sure we are not dreaming.
For it's been a really great move, it took three years to become fully established, and a few bumps and bruises on the way,but it's a wonderful life,and we all hope we never have to return to the UK.
Good luck and hope the same happens for you.
cheers
Jerry

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.