Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone enjoying their new life in Canada?

Anyone enjoying their new life in Canada?

Old May 19th 2010, 5:11 pm
Forum Regular

michelle101 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone enjoying their new life in Canada?

Hi everyone,

I don't know if this is just my cold feet but just been reading a few threads on the forum and they seem to be very negative.

We've just got our PR through, OH just got redundancy (just at the right time for us) and we sold our house this weekend in 48 hours, for over the asking price. Everything seems to be falling into place apart from the abysmal exchange rate.

We have a very good life in the UK and are going to Canada for an adventure with a view to returning in 12 months if we want to, or maybe we'll stay. We have a daughter (8) and we're heading for the north shore of vancouver.

Some good experiences of Canadian life would be good to hear right now.

M.
Old May 19th 2010, 5:26 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone enjoying their new life in Canada?

Originally Posted by michelle101
I don't know if this is just my cold feet but just been reading a few threads on the forum and they seem to be very negative.
It is the worst thing about this site. Many people use BE.com for help and information about emigration and immigration. Once over that hurdle they move on with their new lives and rarely come back here to say how much they are enjoying themselves. The posters that hang about are a self-selecting group and I don't believe they are represent the experience of the majority of expats here.

For the record, we came to BC in 1999 and have not regretted it for a moment.
Old May 19th 2010, 5:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

rubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond reputerubberduckofdeath has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JonboyE
It is the worst thing about this site. Many people use BE.com for help and information about emigration and immigration. Once over that hurdle they move on with their new lives and rarely come back here to say how much they are enjoying themselves. The posters that hang about are a self-selecting group and I don't believe they are represent the experience of the majority of expats here.

Nice post, reps!
Old May 19th 2010, 5:43 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Its not a new life anymore after 13 years, but this place works for me
Old May 19th 2010, 6:04 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Well said. There are too many naysayers on here, always quick to criticize and denigrate with a cleverly worded quip or a smart remark. But for the vast majority of people, they love it here and are glad to have left the sinking ship of the UK before it gets any worse, what with the crime and the immigration and drinking yob culture. This is such a great place to realise your dream of a better life for your kids.
Old May 19th 2010, 6:10 pm
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
Well said. There are too many naysayers on here, always quick to criticize and denigrate with a cleverly worded quip or a smart remark. But for the vast majority of people, they love it here and are glad to have left the sinking ship of the UK before it gets any worse, what with the crime and the immigration and drinking yob culture. This is such a great place to realise your dream of a better life for your kids.
I can never tell when you are being serious...

Certainly Canada can be a good place, but there are no guarantees, and the UK is not nearly as bad all over as some people would make it out to be either.

Last edited by iaink; May 19th 2010 at 6:13 pm.
Old May 19th 2010, 6:10 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by michelle101
Hi everyone,

We've just got our PR through, OH just got redundancy (just at the right time for us) and we sold our house this weekend in 48 hours, for over the asking price. Everything seems to be falling into place apart from the abysmal exchange rate.

We have a very good life in the UK and are going to Canada for an adventure with a view to returning in 12 months if we want to, or maybe we'll stay. We have a daughter (8) and we're heading for the north shore of vancouver.

Some good experiences of Canadian life would be good to hear right now.

M.
So far so good!

The exchange rate is a pain in the arse- but Canada is great.
Old May 19th 2010, 6:28 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
I can never tell when you are being serious...

Certainly Canada can be a good place, but there are no guarantees, and the UK is not nearly as bad all over as some people would make it out to be either.
I can. He's not.
Old May 19th 2010, 6:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

spaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of lightspaceace is a glorious beacon of light

We've been in NS since Feb 2010 and although we are relatively new, we are loving it.
Every day is a new learning experience and there are highs and lows....from the chilled out polite driving (NS only I've been told) to the weird flying things that have started to appear, to the ridiculous price of stuff, to the super friendly natives, to the jaw dropping country side, to the taxes, the dodgy politicians expenses, and local cut backs.....etc etc....some would say same s**t different country, and I would agree to a certain extent, but we love it here :-)
The best thing is that the kids (4 and 9) seem so much happier here, they've finally got the freedom and space that they always wanted, and school friends that are actually nice, apparently :-) maybe we've been lucky? maybe my glass is always half full, who knows :-)

Last edited by spaceace; May 19th 2010 at 6:42 pm.
Old May 19th 2010, 7:25 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
I can. He's not.
You know there is a difference between professional skepticism and wanton cynicism.
Old May 19th 2010, 7:43 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
You know there is a difference between professional skepticism and wanton cynicism.
Yes. I can recognize that too.
Old May 19th 2010, 7:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

britsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond reputebritsnake has a reputation beyond repute

We've been in Quebec since June 2008.

It has been a real adventure so far. The first year was pretty rocky, it took a while for everything to settle down.

Now in the second year, the adventure has been exploring my part of Canada and getting to know the people and the cultures.

To me Canada is still pretty wild and untamed. I can look out my office window and see Perigrine Falcons and hawks swooping down to catch the local pigeons. I can see boats sailing down the local river. I look a bit further and I see forests which I know are full of wildlife.

In the UK, the only predators I had to worry about were of the human kind. Here sometimes at night I hear the sound of animals fighting and wonder what weird and wonderful creatures may be involved.

Last Christmas I brough home some moose and deer for dinner, one of my collegues had hunted and killed them. I really enjoyed the look on my families members faces when I told them what it was.
Old May 19th 2010, 8:17 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Came in '95, done everything we set out to do and more. Don't plan on leaving. Whole family quite settled and contented with Canada. Anyone that moves here though, it takes a long time to feel like a fixture.
Old May 19th 2010, 8:46 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Excellent post JBE.

I came in 1963 and never looked back.
Old May 19th 2010, 9:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

Chookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond reputeChookie has a reputation beyond repute

Well we like it here.

We are in Calgary, and tbh, apart from living in the burbs of a city rather than a small village, life is not all that much different.

Mr Chookie still goes to work, the Chooklets still go to school... and I am contemplating what I am going to do in September when the youngest Chooklet is at school fulltime after 12 years of not working

We have been here 4 years (must sort out our citizenship tbh!) and think life is pretty good on the whole... boring and predictable yes, but still pretty good.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.