Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?

Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?

Old Jan 29th 2016, 8:17 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is anyone else massively disappointed in Canada?

There are a lot of eagles around Boundary Bay this year. Quite a few over-winter here. Easy pickings at the municipal waste transfer site.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 10:56 pm
Forum Regular

dasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond reputedasalcedo has a reputation beyond repute

I went to Toronto last December to activate my PR and spent a month at my brother's place in Etobicoke. Saw lots of squirrels everyday, everywhere and anytime!!! it was very cool.

I live in Adelaide and I'm waiting for my wife to pass the Physio tests in order to make the move to Canada soon.

Last edited by dasalcedo; Jan 29th 2016 at 11:01 pm.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 11:12 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat091 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dasalcedo
I went to Toronto last December to activate my PR and spent a month at my brother's place in Etobicoke. Saw lots of squirrels everyday, everywhere and anytime!!! it was very cool.

I live in Adelaide and I'm waiting for my wife to pass the Physio tests in order to make the move to Canada soon.
When I got to Ontario from BC in 2012 for my short stint there, I could not believe the amount of squirrels, they were all over, everyplace I went, I saw the buggers.

I rarely see any in BC.

But I see more bears here then I did in ON.
Old Jan 29th 2016, 11:25 pm
Bex in the city

beckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond reputebeckiwoo has a reputation beyond repute

Question for the OP...

I see from your original post you have held PR status for 2 years...

Did you come out beforehand on an IEC or TWP to get an idea if you would like to live here permeantly?
Old Jan 30th 2016, 1:16 am
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Question for the OP... I see from your original post you have held PR status for 2 years... Did you come out beforehand on an IEC or TWP to get an idea if you would like to live here permeantly?
It seems she did a 2 year IEC applied for PR and got it back in November, 2 months ago. Why she went to the trouble and expense of getting PR status for a country she's about to leave is beyond me. The IEC visa would have given her exactly what it is purposed for - a 2 year holiday working visa and then she'd have gone home by now anyway.
Old Jan 30th 2016, 2:04 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
It seems she did a 2 year IEC applied for PR and got it back in November, 2 months ago. Why she went to the trouble and expense of getting PR status for a country she's about to leave is beyond me. The IEC visa would have given her exactly what it is purposed for - a 2 year holiday working visa and then she'd have gone home by now anyway.
Perhaps she will change her mind when she's been back for a short while and return to a different area. I think it's called keeping your options open - chances are she applied quite early on if she's just got PR.

To each their own.

Old Jan 30th 2016, 2:16 am
BE Forum Addict

plasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond reputeplasticcanuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rivingtonpike
When people write on here that they're proposing to return to the UK they are almost always advised to obtain their PR/Citizenship status before leaving. She has just done the same thing, lest her return to the UK isn't all she expects it to be. I suspect a romance or a job has gone tits up and for a reason known only to herself she's decided that it's the fault of this horrible country.
If she needs a ride to the airport on departure day I'm more than happy to accommodate her, free of charge.
Old Jan 30th 2016, 12:58 pm
Forum Regular

Haylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by plasticcanuck
When people write on here that they're proposing to return to the UK they are almost always advised to obtain their PR/Citizenship status before leaving. She has just done the same thing, lest her return to the UK isn't all she expects it to be. I suspect a romance or a job has gone tits up and for a reason known only to herself she's decided that it's the fault of this horrible country.
If she needs a ride to the airport on departure day I'm more than happy to accommodate her, free of charge.
I suggest you stop suspecting and start reading.
My job is fine, no romance went tits up. I'm way too level headed to be getting emotional over a man to the point id actually leave a country. To suggest such thing is rather sexist especially that I have already explained my reasons.

Is it really so hard to believe that someone might not like living in Canada? Impossible, right? Because you love it so much your tiny teeny brain could not possibly comprehend that someone might feel differently.
Old Jan 30th 2016, 1:03 pm
Forum Regular

Haylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond reputeHaylee32 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by beckiwoo
Question for the OP...

I see from your original post you have held PR status for 2 years...

Did you come out beforehand on an IEC or TWP to get an idea if you would like to live here permeantly?
I came here on IEC and it got my PR within 4 months of applying, it was a cheap and easy process since they introduced express entry procedure.

I wanted to get PR since I came here, that was the plan. Prior to moving here I've never been to Canada.
Old Jan 30th 2016, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

MrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jsmth321
I just can't figure out how anyone pays for all the travel. Boggles my mind, but I guess I am not 20, and I didn't have the ability to travel and work around the world..... I had no idea those type of things existed when I was young enough, now I am too old, so all in the past now.

Check out this book.

Vagabonding: An Uncommon Guide to the Art of Long-Term World Travel

Amazon Amazon
Old Jan 30th 2016, 3:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Shirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond reputeShirtback has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Haylee32
Is it really so hard to believe that someone might not like living in Canada? Impossible, right? Because you love it so much your tiny teeny brain could not possibly comprehend that someone might feel differently.
I'd venture to say that quite a lot of us aren't overly enamoured about living in Canada. Some of us neither love nor hate the place, even after many years. I can bitch 'Til the cows come home about Canada, AND several other countries I've lived & worked in. I'm usually to be found in the "same sh*t, different bucket" crowd.

If you've decided you don't like it, aren't happy here & are going back to the UK, fine. At least you tried it & well done for doing so (sincerely).

I'm not getting your animosity at OPs who have picked out & are discussing the points you originally mentioned from their personal viewpoints.

Finally: Toronto /= Canada, just as London /= UK.

Last edited by Shirtback; Jan 30th 2016 at 5:06 pm. Reason: Screwed up last line.
Old Jan 30th 2016, 3:53 pm
me/moi

Shard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond reputeShard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Shirtback
I'm not getting your animosity at OPs who have picked out & are discussing the points you originally mentioned from their personal viewpoints.

Ditto.
Old Jan 30th 2016, 3:55 pm
"In cruce vincam"

rivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond reputerivingtonpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Haylee32
I suggest you stop suspecting and start reading.
My job is fine, no romance went tits up. I'm way too level headed to be getting emotional over a man to the point id actually leave a country. To suggest such thing is rather sexist especially that I have already explained my reasons.

You are just plain rude. This is in no way a mature way to further your opinion. Your arrogance that someone might not agree with you is no reason for insults; regardless of who might be right or wrong.
Old Jan 30th 2016, 5:46 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

British people just fight all the time. Their history proves it.
Old Jan 30th 2016, 8:23 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133 scrubbedexpat133

Originally Posted by Shirtback
I'd venture to say that quite a lot of us aren't overly enamored about living in Canada. Some of us neither love nor hate the place, even after many years.
There are also those of us who are just in the wrong part of the country and would probably be better suited to another part. I completely agree with the Toronto Canada London UK point.

I think a lot of what the OP said about Canada is true in very broad strokes but there is good bad and ugly everything everywhere. I for one would prefer to remove various body parts with a rusty bread knife than live in London. But that is me and my preference.

Good luck to the OP going to London.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.