Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

anyone else had these feelings!!!

anyone else had these feelings!!!

Old Oct 15th 2009, 11:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

bodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to beholdbodgerx is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: anyone else had these feelings!!!

Can't be bothered? Why did you bother to begin with?
Old Oct 16th 2009, 12:40 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bodgerx
I don't really know why he deleted it. The content of AC's post was a perfectly valid take on the OP's situation given her description of it.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 1:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bodgerx

My initial post was how I felt. I then went on to reply to the posts that two others had made but felt that they were likely to result in an argument (which was never the intention).

I am sorry I didn't sugar coat my initial response. The OP asked for thoughts and I gave mine, I stand by them. S/he is in the current position through his/her choices. S/he has given advice to his/her children, but appears not to want to take that advise him/herself.

If s/he wishes to continue living in a small, close knitted community that don't take to outsiders, s/he should stop whining and get on with it. If s/he wishes to leave, s/he should do so.

No discourtesy was intended to the OP by my post and I apologise unreservedly if it caused offence.

The amount of karma responses I have received to my post lead me to believe that lots feel like I do, but have chosen not to say so.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 1:17 am

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Once in a similar unhappy time in a new town in the UK, I set timescales for seeing if things improved.

For me it didn't - due to sudden family illness & me being far away, but actually the timescales thing (as in, it isn't forever) helped as a coping strategy.

Another thing I did was engage in something where people have to get to know you - I joined a Guide Co. in the new town. It is very hard to ignore volunteers & it tends to attract the more open types I have found.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 1:29 am
BE Enthusiast

clairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant futureclairemarie70 has a brilliant future

i agree yes we did make the choices that we made..right through our lives...and we have to deal with the consiquences..all i asked was if other people felt this way and what they have done to sort it out..i didnt ask to have my face rubbed into any mistakes we may or maynot have made..and like most others on here we have never lived rural or on an acerage before nor have we ever lived in Canada..and i can take anyones opinions and criticisms as we are all entitled to them but sometimes people on BE are just RUDE.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

triumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond reputetriumphguy has a reputation beyond repute

Ohhh....

those kinds of feelings!

I wondered what kind of confession I'd be reading!

South Eastern Saskatchewan: most of them have jumped the stubble and moved to Calgary! There is a reason for that!

The only ones left are the cast for "Corner Gas!"

Best way to get to know people in small town and rural Saskatchewan - in no particular order

Take up hunting
Take a paper route
Have a pot-luck supper at your house fro your neighbours
Join the Catholic Womens League - if applicable
Join the Catholic Whiskey League if the above is not applicable
Play shinny hockey in the street with all the kids
At Holloween give out LOTS of Candy - forget about the decorations the kids will only remember the Candy
Go to all the garage sales and buy other peoples' crap
Have your kids shovel the snow off the neighbours driveways

Last edited by triumphguy; Oct 16th 2009 at 2:21 am.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 8:24 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by clairemarie70
i agree yes we did make the choices that we made..right through our lives...and we have to deal with the consiquences..all i asked was if other people felt this way and what they have done to sort it out..i didnt ask to have my face rubbed into any mistakes we may or maynot have made..and like most others on here we have never lived rural or on an acerage before nor have we ever lived in Canada..and i can take anyones opinions and criticisms as we are all entitled to them but sometimes people on BE are just RUDE.
It never hurts to ask for opinions on your situation and some validity on the choices you've made and it looks like you've received some nice replies from people trying to provide those. There is also some realism to this public forum in that you can pretty much guarantee differing opinions of which some will be harsh or not what you want to hear (Almost Canadian does give a very valid opinion even if it is very direct and to the point).

My opinion is that you (along with your family) went through all the time, trouble, stress, upheaval, and expense to emigrate to Canada and the area you now live for a reason. You were looking for/expecting/wanting something that makes life better for yourself your OH, and your kids.

Now, with that in mind, after 2 years have you achieved the must haves or nice to haves in a way that makes you happy? By the looks of your starting post i would say not.

So really you have 4 choices (that i've simplified) that i can see:

1, Forcibly embed yourself into the community in whatever means necessary
2, Do as Almost Canadian says and stop whining and suck it up
3, Recce other areas of Canada to see what else is out there that meets your criteria
4, Move back to the UK

Make a decision, stick with it, and make the best of it for your entire family's sake.

Good luck

Last edited by el_richo; Oct 16th 2009 at 8:36 am.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 8:35 am
Forum Regular

dave 2 has a brilliant futuredave 2 has a brilliant futuredave 2 has a brilliant futuredave 2 has a brilliant futuredave 2 has a brilliant futuredave 2 has a brilliant futuredave 2 has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
What did you expect?

Stop whining and do something

You are a joke.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 8:39 am
Forum Regular

dave 2 has a brilliant futuredave 2 has a brilliant futuredave 2 has a brilliant futuredave 2 has a brilliant futuredave 2 has a brilliant futuredave 2 has a brilliant futuredave 2 has a brilliant future

My initial post was how I felt. I then went on to reply to the posts that two others had made but felt that they were likely to result in an argument (which was never the intention).
I am sorry I didn't sugar coat my initial response. The OP asked for thoughts and I gave mine, I stand by them. S/he is in the current position through his/her choices. S/he has given advice to his/her children, but appears not to want to take that advise him/herself.

If s/he wishes to continue living in a small, close knitted community that don't take to outsiders, s/he should stop whining and get on with it. If s/he wishes to leave, s/he should do so.

No discourtesy was intended to the OP by my post and I apologise unreservedly if it caused offence.

The amount of karma responses I have received to my post lead me to believe that lots feel like I do, but have chosen not to say so.

Try being a bit more tactful then.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 1:33 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dave 2
You are a joke.
Originally Posted by dave 2
Try being a bit more tactful then.
Is this an example of "Do as I say, not as I do"?

I didn't mean to cause any offence and I didn't mean to "rub the OP's face in it" and I have said nothing of the sort. I have apologized to the OP for any offence caused but my opinion remains. The OP has not stated what s/he expected when moving to that part of the country and, it appears to me, s/he has one of two options: Put up with it, or do something about it.

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Oct 16th 2009 at 1:36 pm.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 2:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

snoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud ofsnoopster has much to be proud of

Is this an example of "Do as I say, not as I do"?

I didn't mean to cause any offence and I didn't mean to "rub the OP's face in it" and I have said nothing of the sort. I have apologized to the OP for any offence caused but my opinion remains. The OP has not stated what s/he expected when moving to that part of the country and, it appears to me, s/he has one of two options: Put up with it, or do something about it.
I reckon she probably knows this bit already don't you? Sometimes people need more than just people stating the bleeding obvious, like constructive ways to move forwards, small steps to improve the situation, maybe from someone who's been in a similar situation? Perhaps she was looking for a bit of support or empathy from her fellow forum members?
Old Oct 16th 2009, 3:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by snoopster
I reckon she probably knows this bit already don't you? Sometimes people need more than just people stating the bleeding obvious, like constructive ways to move forwards, small steps to improve the situation, maybe from someone who's been in a similar situation? Perhaps she was looking for a bit of support or empathy from her fellow forum members?

But the OP's original post stated that s/he was not looking for sympathy.

It would appear that I have offended a number of you. For that, I apologize. I really do not know what else you all expect me to do.

I appreciate my original post was blunt. I have never been one to sugar coat things.

Do you want me to flog myself in public?

I have nothing more to say about this.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 4:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by clairemarie70
i was wondering if anyone else felt the way i do...we have lived here for nearly 2 years now..i work fulltime and hate my job..i could change jobs but my hourly rate will be hard to match...we live extremely rural its so nice having no neighbours but on the other hand we never see anyone round us..the house we bought needs quite a lot of working mainly cosmetic but when we left th UK we were not going to buy a house that needed reno's and that has happened anyway..as this was the cheapest house on the market at the time that had less then 5 acres...i dont get to speak to family unless i call them...the mozzies this year drove me insane im not sure that i can put up with that again...i walked into playschool for the first time taking my son there..and it felt like i had two heads noone spoke to me either..made me feel really uncomfortable...in the small town we live everyone is either related in some way or are best friends..this doesnt make for easy living...on a personal level my relationship with my OH is not going good and we have planned to marry next year in Vegas...im really not sure if we just need to move from this area and im not sure what it is i need to do to sort out how im feeling but if anyone else feels like this..how did u sort out your feelings. im not looking for sympathy just want anyone elses input.
I would not bother changing jobs for less money as after a while it is usually a case of ..."meet the new boss, same as the old boss".

Rural living is not for everyone so maybe are the type that would be happier where there is something going on around you.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 4:41 pm

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

But the OP's original post stated that s/he was not looking for sympathy.

It would appear that I have offended a number of you. For that, I apologize. I really do not know what else you all expect me to do.

I appreciate my original post was blunt. I have never been one to sugar coat things.

Do you want me to flog myself in public?

I have nothing more to say about this.
You said all that needed saying in your first reply anyway.
Old Oct 16th 2009, 4:42 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by johnh009
I would not bother changing jobs for less money as after a while it is usually a case of ..."meet the new boss, same as the old boss".
I hated my old boss with a passion so i left for another contract equalling about £10k per year less and i'm very happy. Makes a HUGE difference even just having the change of "scenery".

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.