Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

ANYONE IN CHILLIWACK?

ANYONE IN CHILLIWACK?

Old Jan 23rd 2009, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

THE FRANCIS CLAN is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: ANYONE IN CHILLIWACK?

Will see if can get there-or send hubby.if not keep us updated with next meet up
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 6:57 pm
Just Joined

TigerShark is just really niceTigerShark is just really niceTigerShark is just really niceTigerShark is just really niceTigerShark is just really niceTigerShark is just really niceTigerShark is just really niceTigerShark is just really nice

Good to see so many folks enjoying staying in the Chlliwack area. We had settled on Promontory heights as a possible location to live if we moved over later this spring, but changed that to Sardis on the last visit in November last year due to close location to highway. I especially loved Greendale. However we would have to rent initially as not really wanting to sell our house in UK in the present financial climate and the Realtors have not given us anything to view for renting purposes.
Biggest problem we have is we are still undecided on whether we want to move despite having landed in May 2006. I know we are almost out of time and it might seem crazy to some that we are still here in Scotland, but that’s another story. However if anyone knows good houses for rent in the area I would be interested to hear from you.

Cheers,

Neil.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 7:26 pm
imperfection is beauty

debzielou is an unknown quantity at this point

hey there we moved from scotland last month and are renting an apartment downtown near the hospital. When we were looking we found www.craigslist.ca was good for rentals also the local newspaper site the chilliwack progress i think has some rentals on it too. there is also www.kijiji.ca hope you find summit
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 9:36 pm

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TigerShark
Good to see so many folks enjoying staying in the Chlliwack area. We had settled on Promontory heights as a possible location to live if we moved over later this spring, but changed that to Sardis on the last visit in November last year due to close location to highway. I especially loved Greendale. However we would have to rent initially as not really wanting to sell our house in UK in the present financial climate and the Realtors have not given us anything to view for renting purposes.
Biggest problem we have is we are still undecided on whether we want to move despite having landed in May 2006. I know we are almost out of time and it might seem crazy to some that we are still here in Scotland, but that’s another story. However if anyone knows good houses for rent in the area I would be interested to hear from you.

Cheers,

Neil.
I would be cautious of Greendale - most of it was 4' under water last week. Greendale is in a low area, formerly the Sumas Lake, which was drained in the 1930s and as we saw recently has a tendency to fill up every now and then.

Promontory & most of Sardis are pretty much a similar distances to the highway, parts of Sardis are closer than Promotory. However on Promontory you can see and hear the highway more easily.
Old Jan 23rd 2009, 10:38 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The Aviator
However on Promontory you can see and hear the highway more easily.
I've lived up here for seven years and have never, ever, heard the highway. You can hear a pin drop at night where I am, except when the coyotes do their thing. You can only see the distant strip of the highway from certain parts as you head North.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 12:06 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dingbat
I've lived up here for seven years and have never, ever, heard the highway. You can hear a pin drop at night where I am, except when the coyotes do their thing. You can only see the distant strip of the highway from certain parts as you head North.
Depends on the wind direction and where you are I guess. I've been up there on an evening and quite clearly heard the drone of vehicles on the highway.
Old Jan 24th 2009, 1:42 pm
Just Joined

TigerShark is just really niceTigerShark is just really niceTigerShark is just really niceTigerShark is just really niceTigerShark is just really niceTigerShark is just really niceTigerShark is just really niceTigerShark is just really nice

Hey Dingbat how long does it take to reach the highway from where you are and is there much doing for kids up there?

Loved the area when we had a reccie a couple of years ago.....
Old Jan 24th 2009, 6:16 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TigerShark
Hey Dingbat how long does it take to reach the highway from where you are and is there much doing for kids up there?

Loved the area when we had a reccie a couple of years ago.....

Five to six minutes, the way I drive. Google Earth Promontory Elementary School. Follow Sylvan Drive, left on Promontory Rd, right on to Teskey Way, which goes into Prest Rd. Stay on Prest until you hit the highway, and off you go. My view is mountains only from my back yard, but we are lucky as we have the biggest gardens and best views from this block!
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 12:16 am
Forum Regular

Alison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to allAlison33 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by The Aviator
Depends on the wind direction and where you are I guess. I've been up there on an evening and quite clearly heard the drone of vehicles on the highway.
Disagree... Ding lives on one side and I on the other and I have never ever heard the highway (and we live closer to the highway) which is about 5-10 min drive depending on how fast your driving. We do have roads up here and your bound to get some road noise but the noise of the drone of the highway I don't think so. We've been here a year and wind direction has never made any difference either. Most folk up here don't have a highway view either as we ain't that close. Are you sure you were on Promontory or up in "Heaven" as a friend calls it lol.
Old Feb 23rd 2009, 5:38 am
BE Enthusiast

Iain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond reputeIain Mc has a reputation beyond repute

If any of you Chilliwack folk haven't yet been down to your local airport, the diner there is rightly famous for it's vast daily selection of pies.

Worth a trip