Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anyone AAT qualified and working in Ottawa Canada?

Anyone AAT qualified and working in Ottawa Canada?

Old Jun 1st 2012, 4:33 pm
Account Closed

betty boop005 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Anyone AAT qualified and working in Ottawa Canada?

Hi

We recently moved to Canada and I am AAT level 4 qualified and obviously want to look for work. I am wondering if there are others who are AAT qualified working in Canada.

Your advise/experience in looking for work much appreciated!
Old Jun 1st 2012, 5:01 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anyone AAT qualified and working in Ottawa Canada?

It is not a recognized qualification in Canada unless you happen upon another expat. It is probably best to workout at what stage of qualification towards either the CGA or CMA designation and market yourself on this basis. Also look here ... http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Quick_...uctions-Canada
Old Jun 3rd 2012, 1:46 am
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

Unforunately even CIMA is not really recognised here, only by those in the CMA that manage your transfer. Recruitment consultants and other accountants have no idea what it is. I assume it may be similiar for ACCA as well.
As johnboye said - look to where you want to go next re qualifications, if you wish to work here with a recognised designation.
Good luck
Old Jun 4th 2012, 1:14 pm
Account Closed

betty boop005 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the responses. I was planning on going the ACCA route but it appears this is will not help. Guess I have to work towards CGA or CMA.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 3:28 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by betty boop005
Thanks for the responses. I was planning on going the ACCA route but it appears this is will not help. Guess I have to work towards CGA or CMA.
If you are a full member ACCA it is quite easy to convert this to a CGA designation.
Old Jun 4th 2012, 3:43 pm
Happy

Howefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond reputeHowefamily has a reputation beyond repute

same with CIMA but I am reading that the OP is AAT qual, so now she can just choose her next steps if she wants to
Old Jun 4th 2012, 3:56 pm
Forum Regular

HPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to all

My CIMA qualification was recognised here in Alberta, did not even have to explain; guess it depends where you are but AAT is not - as others have said your best bet would be to see where that would put you regarding exemptions for the main desigations here in Canada. My guess would be CMA would allow you to sit their entrance exam (4 hour multiple choice) and CGA may exempt from most of their lower level papers.

CMA format is entrance exam; on passing you are admitted to a 2 year program which involves regular assigment submission and a case exam at the end of year 1; Year 2 there are more classroom sessions and a group presentation is required to pass.

CGA follows module learning with coursework, then an exam at the end of each course making up the majority of the mark.

Which one you choose is obviously dependent on your interests of career choice; my company has a good mix of both and a few CA "defectors" from the big 4 audit companies; these guys make up most of our compliance and tax departments

Helen