Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anybody moving in May to Canada?

Wikiposts

Anybody moving in May to Canada?

Old Apr 8th 2013, 11:00 am
Forum Regular

Theoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really niceTheoldfields is just really nice
Default Re: Anybody moving in May to Canada?

Originally Posted by AberystwythGirl
We are letting our small holding out (have found a tenant but they haven't signed yet!) just in case we really don't settle. My biggest problem is the organisation of everything - timing the horse transport with our flights, presumably hiring a car that will fit all 5 of us with luggage, a cat and a dog. Beginning to think we will need 2 vehicles and drive in convoy!

Also trying to get all our stuff clean - how do I get horse rugs clean when its so cold they are still wearing them - they should be out in the field with no clothes on by now and everything washed and packed!

Am having sleepless nights! You're right Mrs B we just have to try and stay calm, which is why its taken us so long to get to this stage. But I think from now on (the final 4-6 weeks) is going to be really stressful.

I have no idea where Red Deer is but will look it up on the map sometime.
Keep posting!
I thought sorting out the dog was an added complexity but we've got it easy compared to you. The flights are booked for June 1st, Air Transat from manchester to Vancouver and then hire a car, and the dog is on the same flight so it sounds pretty simple when you write it down but somehow it doesn't feel simple when you're in the middle of organising it.

when we all get there we'll have to meet up for a few glasses of wine/beer/etc looking out over the lake and compare notes.

I hope the tenant signs up soon.

Excuse the silly question but what's a fifth wheel?
Old Apr 8th 2013, 11:42 am
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
I'd advise staying away from the Ryders Ridge community in Sylvan Lake, the stench from the Herder's ranch can be somewhat overwhelming at times.
Absolutely agree, it is throat catching every time I pass there. Also Hewlett Landing, which is the next community to Ryders

We lived in the Firdale area and that was on the western outskirts of the town. Only a 15 min bike ride to the lake and town- avoiding the Ryders Ridge and hewletts Landing and the stink areas completely.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 3:04 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Welsh Sparky

What are the best places and good places to live in Red Deer, and the ones to really avoid? My wife and I are 31 and we have a 5 year old son
General rule of thumb is south of the river, my daughter saw this question and she immediately said not Normandeau, she's 18. Wouldn't reccomend Highland Green, and again dd said not Glendale, she has lots of friends in these areas due to the catchment area for her Highschool (unfortunately) saying that johnstone is ok. For families theya re usually drawn to deer park, lancaster, vanier ridge and inglewood, lots of new homes, I personally prefer older subdivisions (having lived in lancaster and bower). Bower is lovely, also like rosedale, the older parts of deer park, anders and the subdivisions around those areas.

Hths
Old Apr 8th 2013, 3:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond reputeMad Jockette has a reputation beyond repute

I lived in Johnstone Park for a while, it was fine, I had no problems. The only thieves I saw were a pack of 4 coyotes one night raiding the bins in the back lane that I could see from my apartment.

There are some newer developed areas north of the river- Kentwood, Timberlands and Clearview(I think- it is off 67th / 30th). I have heard from colleagues and friends they are nice.

Once you are here you will be able to drive around and find what area you think you may like.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 4:42 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Theoldfields
I thought sorting out the dog was an added complexity but we've got it easy compared to you. The flights are booked for June 1st, Air Transat from manchester to Vancouver and then hire a car, and the dog is on the same flight so it sounds pretty simple when you write it down but somehow it doesn't feel simple when you're in the middle of organising it.

when we all get there we'll have to meet up for a few glasses of wine/beer/etc looking out over the lake and compare notes.

It's a type of RV Trailer: http://gorving.ca/rv101/towable-rvs/...travel-trailer

Old Apr 8th 2013, 5:27 pm
Forum Regular

AberystwythGirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Theoldfields

I caused a total riot in our vets the other day getting the cat and dog pet passports - not easy to handle an excited dog on a lead and his best friend in a carry cage!

A 5th wheel is a type of caravan which has a raised part at the front which goes over a pick up truck and links into a large articulated hitch. Much more stable than our ball hitches (called bumper hitches in Canada).

We will also be flying into Vancouver hopefully with the cat and dog on the same flight but the horses will be flying into Calgary!

Will definately have to meet up for a drink and chat - will PM you our address & my husbands cell number.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 5:33 pm
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

I caused a total riot in our vets the other day getting the cat and dog pet passports - not easy to handle an excited dog on a lead and his best friend in a carry cage!

A 5th wheel is a type of caravan which has a raised part at the front which goes over a pick up truck and links into a large articulated hitch. Much more stable than our ball hitches (called bumper hitches in Canada).

We will also be flying into Vancouver hopefully with the cat and dog on the same flight but the horses will be flying into Calgary!

Will definately have to meet up for a drink and chat - will PM you our address & my husbands cell number.
Isn't that what I linked to? They are not known as caravans in Canada, they are called RV's - or "Recreational Vehicles"
Old Apr 8th 2013, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

AberystwythGirl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by siouxie
Isn't that what I linked to? They are not known as caravans in Canada, they are called RV's - or "Recreational Vehicles"

I was replying to someone who is British and still living in the UK hence the description Caravan. I think a 5th wheel would be considered more as a trailer than an RV, an RV having its own engine. But a trailer is bumper pull (or tow hitch in UK), 5th wheel has the articulated connection to a pick up truck and then of course there is also the swan neck similar to the 5th wheel but with a different connection. Your link actually called it a 5th wheel travel trailer.

We think Canada and UK speak the same language but there are a lot of differences and we are only just starting to learn.
Old Apr 8th 2013, 10:42 pm
Forum Regular

Mrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really niceMrs. B. is just really nice

Well I have put cancelling things down as one thing to do on my list so I probably have more things to do on my list. Great to read another list! I love lists!!!

So having read the links have you added to your list???
Old Apr 9th 2013, 1:17 am
BE Enthusiast

Jane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

Mrs B - whereabouts north of Calgary are you going? We're going to Cochrane mid/end May all being well! Can't book flights yet as are waiting on house completion date....
Old Apr 9th 2013, 1:34 am
Just Joined

ladytrucker105 is an unknown quantity at this point

Afternoon to you all and we going over there in June,and going to place near Calgary...seems like loads of us packing our bags and making a new life for ourselves....
Old Apr 9th 2013, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Jane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond reputeJane Barlow has a reputation beyond repute

So there'll be a whole lot of us lost souls wandering around the streets of Calgary this summer!
Old Apr 9th 2013, 1:49 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mad Jockette
I lived in Johnstone Park for a while, it was fine, I had no problems. The only thieves I saw were a pack of 4 coyotes one night raiding the bins in the back lane that I could see from my apartment.

There are some newer developed areas north of the river- Kentwood, Timberlands and Clearview(I think- it is off 67th / 30th). I have heard from colleagues and friends they are nice.

Once you are here you will be able to drive around and find what area you think you may like.
Clearview and timberlands are east of the city, Kentwood imo is a bit on the rig pig side of places to live. However the places to really not bother with are the ones I commented on earlier, every subdivision has a pretty bit and a more affordable housing bit but some places it all seems to be more affordable and there is a reason for that
Old Apr 9th 2013, 2:21 am
Banned

I was replying to someone who is British and still living in the UK hence the description Caravan. I think a 5th wheel would be considered more as a trailer than an RV, an RV having its own engine. But a trailer is bumper pull (or tow hitch in UK), 5th wheel has the articulated connection to a pick up truck and then of course there is also the swan neck similar to the 5th wheel but with a different connection. Your link actually called it a 5th wheel travel trailer.

We think Canada and UK speak the same language but there are a lot of differences and we are only just starting to learn.
I think giving "the OP" a link to a specific page that shows what it is negates the interpretation problem, to be honest, and I did say 'trailer'.

http://coachmenrv.com/products/fifthwheels.aspx

An RV is a recreational vehicle, not a specific type of one. What you are "thinking" is an RV is a motorised RV. Stating 'caravan' could be interpreted as a static caravan or a motorised caravan - do you see what I mean?

I think you are going to have fun learning

Last edited by Siouxie; Apr 9th 2013 at 10:12 am.
Old Apr 9th 2013, 5:13 am
Forum Regular

Welsh Sparky is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
General rule of thumb is south of the river, my daughter saw this question and she immediately said not Normandeau, she's 18. Wouldn't reccomend Highland Green, and again dd said not Glendale, she has lots of friends in these areas due to the catchment area for her Highschool (unfortunately) saying that johnstone is ok. For families theya re usually drawn to deer park, lancaster, vanier ridge and inglewood, lots of new homes, I personally prefer older subdivisions (having lived in lancaster and bower). Bower is lovely, also like rosedale, the older parts of deer park, anders and the subdivisions around those areas.

Hths
Thanks, no doubt my wife will be asking lot's of questions about Red Deer soon

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.