Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anybody happy in Canada?

Anybody happy in Canada?

Old Feb 13th 2012, 7:16 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody happy in Canada?

Originally Posted by MikeUK
They do need a good clean every year to get the dust out of the sensors, so you need to be brave with a screwdriver and a can of air, otherwise the sensors start to misread and it start to do funny things.
Like trying to do the stairs starting from the top?
Old Feb 13th 2012, 7:45 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Life is so much simpler in a bungalow....
Old Feb 13th 2012, 7:46 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
Life is so much simpler in a bungalow....
Around here, even bungalows have basements.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 7:59 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

If you knock out the front stair/drop sensor then yes...

But most of the time its the wheel drive sensors that get dusty, then it can't properly tell what the wheel rotation rate is and it starts a little dance come seizure...
Old Feb 13th 2012, 8:13 pm
Island life at last

helcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond reputehelcat12 has a reputation beyond repute

it starts a little dance come seizure...
My OH does that if he does too much hoovering.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 8:23 pm
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by helcat12
My OH does that if he does too much hoovering.
Then you need to clean out his sensors, I recomend a good hard blow
Old Feb 13th 2012, 8:27 pm
Born again atheist

LOL. My spousal partner goes through vacuum cleaners like they're candy bars. We have Dysons lying all over the place (which apparently aren't good enough) and a veritable vacuum graveyard in the garage.

Ah well. 'Tis only money.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 8:34 pm
Island life at last

He can make do with the screwdriver and the can of air you mentioned earlier.....
Old Feb 13th 2012, 8:50 pm
Part Time Poster

LOL. My spousal partner goes through vacuum cleaners like they're candy bars. We have Dysons lying all over the place (which apparently aren't good enough) and a veritable vacuum graveyard in the garage.

Ah well. 'Tis only money.
I wired my old UK dyson up to a 240v plug, with the extra 10hz of spin on the motor that thing can beat almost anything, including some of the industrial units...
Old Feb 13th 2012, 10:53 pm
Born again atheist

I wired my old UK dyson up to a 240v plug, with the extra 10hz of spin on the motor that thing can beat almost anything, including some of the industrial units...
Mike, you don't have to convince me. On the odd occasion I use one of them they do fine.

I've just learned to keep my mouth shut and flash the credit card.
Old Feb 13th 2012, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boy d
you will enjoy those bobbies in the UK, if you can find one..Winsor has seen fit to get rid of 20 percent of em...then there's the wage role back, increased pension contributions and more time needed for a pension. Morale is at an all time low and corruption is on the rise....have fun
And I'm sure that Harper and his band of merry idiots are taking note! Watch out, Dudley Dooright!
Old Feb 14th 2012, 5:01 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marcwales
2) Nobody seems really happy with their move!! I know in the last 5 years things have changed dramatically in the western world (UK included), but is anybody really satisfied with their new life?
I am probably the most cynical, whinging, moaning, complaining bastard you will ever encounter in your life and I am very satisfied with moving to Canada and it worked out a hell of a lot better than I ever thought it would, frankly.

Obviously I cannot give a full accounting of how good it was until I drop dead, however.

Definitely better than living in the UK, no question. Are there things I don't like about Canada, yes. Are there things that are better in the UK, yes. However overall Canada wins, easily.

Obviously it depends on personal circumstances though.
Old Feb 14th 2012, 5:39 pm
BE Forum Addict

MarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond reputeMarkG has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Oink
While I like to grumble that's really just a hobby. Happiness? Decent employment and/or funds are probably the key for most people.
Bingo. I'm glad I'm living here rather than in Britain and have no intention of moving back there, but if I didn't have a job I'd have to consider that option.

On the other hand I have enough savings that I could buy a shack here and laze around doing thing for the rest of my life... whereas in Britain I couldn't even afford to buy a shack any more.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 10:33 pm
Forum Regular

xxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nicexxdb is just really nice

I'm not what can be called "happy" but I'm glad I'm not stuck back home in the middle of a recession with no job. I guess I could say I'm "thankful".

There are plenty of things that annoy me about Canada but then again there were plenty of (different) things that annoyed me back home. I guess the main thing is a lack of a decent curry and roll n bacon. The winter is a bit baltic too.

Otherwise it's tolerable.
Old Feb 24th 2012, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

dgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond reputedgagitw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by marcwales
is anybody really satisfied with their new life?
Yes, me. But then my old life was pretty good too. I suspect people's satisfaction is often not connected much to where they're living.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.