Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anybody else feel scared by the annormity of it all?

Anybody else feel scared by the annormity of it all?

Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:23 pm
j42
Forum Regular

j42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nice
Default Re: Anybody else feel scared by the annormity of it all?

Originally Posted by YOJO
Hi all. we are in the same boat...house up for sale....hassle with family...bad days and good days, just want better future for children ...hope it works out! JO
Hi Jo where you heading for?
Old Jan 28th 2008, 2:32 pm
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JSHalifax
To those of you out there who feel scared about the task of emigrating , just take a deep breath and realise that it really is one small step at a time... and as long as you are moving away from a negative and towards a positive all will work out just fine. Always prepare a plan B we found that was the most important thing and give yourself some time to make important decisions you dont have to have it all figured out the moment you arrive! You will feel such a pride in your own achievement when you finally make it something that we all seemed to feel was missing in our lives in uk..... I have lived in NS for over ten years now and have met lots of Brits who have been trying to get here....get as much info as you can before you come , and most of all realise that Nova Scotians are warm and wonderful people and will welcome you into their hearts..........we have never regretted our decision to move from UK.

june
Good post.
It also works the other way for a lot of people, it took me almost 2 years in Australia to realise that the UK was my home, it has made me realise what I was leaving behind and made me appriciate my quality of life back here so much more, if you dont do it you will always think "what if" and if it does not work as it didn't for me you can always come back....but just "do it"
Old Jan 28th 2008, 7:04 pm
Forum Regular

YOJO is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by j42
Hi Jo where you heading for?
New Brunswick. and you?
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:41 pm
j42
Forum Regular

j42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nice

Hopefully nova scotia somewhere
Old Jan 28th 2008, 8:54 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YOJO
New Brunswick. and you?
What a sensible person
Old Jan 29th 2008, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

YOJO is on a distinguished road

Hi Dave, just read your blog, I agree with you re; Wales in January. We just had four weeks of rain 24/7. Would happily swap it for some snow! JO
Old Jan 29th 2008, 8:43 am
Forum Regular

Location: Woking to North Vancouver to Basingstoke to Toronto ...
leoline will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by j42
we are in the very early stages of looking at relocating to NS,we get so many highs/lows looking at what is involved with getting there,we really want it so much but I am so scared,did anybody else feel like this?
Yes, it is all rather incredibly overwhelming. It is a big decision and of course you are leaving the known and heading to the unknown. It is not easy. We have done it and went through all the myriad of emotions when we crossed the water and headed to Vancouver. We were told that it would take 5 to 7 years to settle. Bear this in mind. You will like most people start missing all the familiar things from home. It's always the way. But it is worth it. The younger you are the easier it is to adapt. Go for it!

Leo
Old Jan 29th 2008, 2:19 pm
Happy in NB

Dave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond reputeDave+Jules has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by leoline
Yes, it is all rather incredibly overwhelming. It is a big decision and of course you are leaving the known and heading to the unknown. It is not easy. We have done it and went through all the myriad of emotions when we crossed the water and headed to Vancouver. We were told that it would take 5 to 7 years to settle. Bear this in mind. You will like most people start missing all the familiar things from home. It's always the way. But it is worth it. The younger you are the easier it is to adapt. Go for it!

Leo
This is a good point. It takes time to settle, and I would guess that differs by family circumstances.

We have started our third year and have finally seemed to have settled and we understand our bills and knowledge of the local area and province is sufficient to be able to drive without having to constantly referencing maps etc.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

welshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nice

Terrified but gut feeling is that I know it is the right thing to do.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 3:59 pm
Sloopy Dippinsprinkles

MrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really niceMrsLauder99 is just really nice

Originally Posted by welshmountie
That's how I certainly feel. Frightened as hell but in my heart I know it's right for our family. It's a huge step/change in anyone's life I'm not sure it be right if you weren't scared.
Old Jan 29th 2008, 4:12 pm
Banned

Backhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond reputeBackhomeatlast has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by welshmountie
You can always come back as so many do, but at least you and the ones who return have at least tried , no "what if" in later life
Old Jan 29th 2008, 4:13 pm
Forum Regular

welshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nicewelshmountie is just really nice

Originally Posted by Backhomeatlast
You can always come back as so many do, but at least you and the ones who return have at least tried , no "what if" in later life
Totally agree. "Nothing ventured nothing gained" and all that with peace of mind at the end of it all..... either way.
Old Feb 2nd 2008, 6:12 pm
j42
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by mkmurrays
I dreaded telling my parents, particularly as my dad had just been diagnosed with Alzheimers. I left it til late to tell them, until it was all definite, and made myself sick with worry. When I told them they were fantastic. They said if they had their time again they'd do the same.
Sometimes parents can do the most surprising things....
just found this,I still haven't told my mum and can't sleep most nights ,she just isn't mentally well enough yet
Old Feb 13th 2008, 11:50 am
Just Joined

jozzo is just really nicejozzo is just really nicejozzo is just really nicejozzo is just really nicejozzo is just really nicejozzo is just really nicejozzo is just really nicejozzo is just really nice

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
But it was you, in your post excusing the spelling mistakes in realtors' listings, who lumped typos and spelling mistakes together. My opinion is that a property listing is much less transient than a newspaper, and is effectively a come-on for a transaction ultimately worth several hundred thousand dollars, so it's more important to be accurate here than in a newspaper. I submit that a Canadian realtor is as likely not to know the correct spelling of "dining" as any other randomly-selected Brit is to mistake "their" for "there." (with apologies to MB-realtor and others on this board for impugning their abilities...)

Find me one example - you can post the link on here.
That's such a crass generalisation it's almost funny - although I suspect it says more about the people you meet than it does about the country as a whole.
I fear you've completely missed the point of "Little Britain." The entire premise of the comedy is its tastelessness, vulgarity and self-deprecation. The humour is in our ability to laugh at our own expense, and the exaggeration of behaviour, attitude, language, etc to extremes. Not many people actually behave like Vicki Pollard, despite what the Sun or the News of the World would have you believe.

It seems that in your posts you've consistently denigrated the UK. You give the impression you've visited the country extensively, but don't indicate you've ever lived there. Pretty much by definition, most people posting on this board are in the process of moving, or have moved, to Canada from the UK, the majority having lived there for some time. I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve by criticising the British educational and healthcare systems, of which you have limited experience, when the truth is (as many have pointed out on here) that in most circumstances there's not much to choose between them and their Canadian equivalents.
Actually, you couldn't be more mistaken: I've lived in both countries and I know what I'm talking about. You, like most people here, probably have not.

The British healthcare and educational system are 'similar' to Canada's? That couldn't be further from the truth. The canadian versions are far, far superior in every way. I'd advise you to spend at least a few years in Canada before you start making these kind of ignorant assumptions, as you obviously have no experience of the place.

It's too bad if I offend your delicate British sensibilities, but people come to this forum for honest advice and factual observations - not the misguided and ill-informed observations people like you tend to make. If you feel the UK is such a wonderful place, perhaps you should stay there?

As for 'Little Britain' - isn't TV a reflection of the culture that produces it? Unfortunately, it is, and it doesn't make for promising conclusions. I don't read the 'rumor rags' that tend to proliferate in the UK, I base my views on direct observation - something it seems you are unable to do. Your obvious lack of experience with Candian lifestyle and culture is all too apparent to anyone who has lived in both countries.

I speak from direct experience of BOTH countries. Something that very few here can say. That in itself is a valuable asset to any would-be immigrant.

Jozzo

Last edited by jozzo; Feb 13th 2008 at 1:25 pm.
Old Feb 13th 2008, 1:52 pm
Over here

virion has a brilliant futurevirion has a brilliant futurevirion has a brilliant futurevirion has a brilliant futurevirion has a brilliant futurevirion has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by jozzo
Actually, you couldn't be more mistaken: I've lived in both countries and I know what I'm talking about. You, like most people here, probably have not.

The British healthcare and educational system are 'similar' to Canada's? That couldn't be further from the truth. The canadian versions are far, far superior in every way. I'd advise you to spend at least a few years in Canada before you start making these kind of ignorant assumptions, as you obviously have no experience of the place.

It's too bad if I offend your delicate British sensibilities, but people come to this forum for honest advice and factual observations - not the misguided and ill-informed observations people like you tend to make. If you feel the UK is such a wonderful place, perhaps you should stay there?

As for 'Little Britain' - isn't TV a reflection of the culture that produces it? Unfortunately, it is, and it doesn't make for promising conclusions. I don't read the 'rumor rags' that tend to proliferate in the UK, I base my views on direct observation - something it seems you are unable to do. Your obvious lack of experience with Candian lifestyle and culture is all too apparent to anyone who has lived in both countries.

I speak from direct experience of BOTH countries. Something that very few here can say. That in itself is a valuable asset to any would-be immigrant.

Jozzo
erm Jozzo, your position of having lived in BOTH countries as you shout at us here isn't actually that unique at all. If you bothered to read peoples locations you might see that there are a lot of Brits posting here from locations in Canda. Yes we too can live in BOTH countries and we too can hold opitions about BOTH. Something you might have noticed if you bothered to get off you high horse for 5 minutes. well done.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.