Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anybody else feel scared by the annormity of it all?

Anybody else feel scared by the annormity of it all?

Old Jan 21st 2008, 7:03 pm
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody else feel scared by the annormity of it all?

Originally Posted by jozzo
Drifting? Not really. Typos in hastily (or lazily) written MLS listings is one thing - misunderstanding the actual meanings of words quite another.
But it was you, in your post excusing the spelling mistakes in realtors' listings, who lumped typos and spelling mistakes together. My opinion is that a property listing is much less transient than a newspaper, and is effectively a come-on for a transaction ultimately worth several hundred thousand dollars, so it's more important to be accurate here than in a newspaper. I submit that a Canadian realtor is as likely not to know the correct spelling of "dining" as any other randomly-selected Brit is to mistake "their" for "there." (with apologies to MB-realtor and others on this board for impugning their abilities...)
By the way, I see these kind of mistakes (their, there etc) in UK papers all the time...
Find me one example - you can post the link on here.
Why? Hard to say, although I'd hazard a guess it has much to do with the state of the educational system in the UK today, judging by the people I meet when over there...
That's such a crass generalisation it's almost funny - although I suspect it says more about the people you meet than it does about the country as a whole.
Have you SEEN the tv show 'Little Britain'?? Jeez, it has to be the worst and most tasteless comedy show ever made, but it speaks volumes about the state of the place.
I fear you've completely missed the point of "Little Britain." The entire premise of the comedy is its tastelessness, vulgarity and self-deprecation. The humour is in our ability to laugh at our own expense, and the exaggeration of behaviour, attitude, language, etc to extremes. Not many people actually behave like Vicki Pollard, despite what the Sun or the News of the World would have you believe.

It seems that in your posts you've consistently denigrated the UK. You give the impression you've visited the country extensively, but don't indicate you've ever lived there. Pretty much by definition, most people posting on this board are in the process of moving, or have moved, to Canada from the UK, the majority having lived there for some time. I'm not sure what you're trying to achieve by criticising the British educational and healthcare systems, of which you have limited experience, when the truth is (as many have pointed out on here) that in most circumstances there's not much to choose between them and their Canadian equivalents.
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 3:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

manghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond reputemanghams has a reputation beyond repute

Drifting? Not really. Typos in hastily (or lazily) written MLS listings is one thing - misunderstanding the actual meanings of words quite another. By the way, I see these kind of mistakes (their, there etc) in UK papers all the time... Why? Hard to say, although I'd hazard a guess it has much to do with the state of the educational system in the UK today, judging by the people I meet when over there... Have you SEEN the tv show 'Little Britain'?? Jeez, it has to be the worst and most tasteless comedy show ever made, but it speaks volumes about the state of the place.

Try an episode of Shameless!
Old Jan 22nd 2008, 9:11 pm
Account Closed

jericho is an unknown quantity at this point

Has this thread seriously degenerated in to a spelling contest?
Come on guys, this is an internet forum where people come to share ideas and experiences. It's not a place where people come to have their English judged.

If you've got nothing positive to add to the thread, dont bother hitting the "reply" button.
:curse:
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 10:40 pm

purple80 is an unknown quantity at this point

To get back to the original post, I am absolutely terrified at the moment....

It all started with a conversation last January, we talked for 10 months and then finally visited Canada. OH went to a trade show and got a lot of positive feed back and an interview, 48 days later he had secured a job?? Excellent benefits, £10k a year more, relocation package, blah blah....

Who's idea was this??? OH leaves in 8 weeks and 6 days (not that I am counting) and I am scared rigid. I have lists that direct me to other lists, pillow talk is now about Canada, (wasn't much better before that, but hey ho).

Countless things to decide/worry about....So scared by the enormity of it all.

YES

Excited, and counting our lucky stars, so many people here wait for years to fulfill their dreams and to be honest I feel incredibly guilty about the way it has worked for us.
Charlie

Last edited by purple80; Jan 23rd 2008 at 10:43 pm.
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 10:48 pm
BE Forum Addict

mkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond reputemkmurrays has a reputation beyond repute

Don't feel guilty. We're all adults and responsible for our own lives, some people find it easier to find work and get visas because of their skills or profession, simple as that.

Enjoy it, make the most of it, and I hope it's all you've dreamed of.

You've probably already said this in many posts, but where are you heading?
Old Jan 23rd 2008, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Really. There are typos, then there is being able to spell. I see a lot of confusion here with the correct use of words like: there - their, where - were, too - to, and so on...

Some here, like me, are not English born. Do not have English as their mother tongue.

I'm lucky that I grew up in Spain with Swedish family, Brits and Americans as neighbors and Spanish school. I was tri lingual as a kid.

Add dyslexia (spelling and grammar version) to that and you will at least understand my confusion.

Funny how an ex business partner of mine refused to let me write proposals for contracts as he said my English was not good enough, only for me to get a phone call from the receiver of said proposal asking me to translate the proposal to understandable English.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 6:08 am
j42
Forum Regular

j42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nicej42 is just really nice

Originally Posted by purple80

It all started with a conversation last January, we talked for 10 months and then finally visited Canada. OH went to a trade show and got a lot of positive feed back and an interview, 48 days later he had secured a job?? Excellent benefits, £10k a year more, relocation package, blah blah....

Who's idea was this??? OH leaves in 8 weeks and 6 days (not that I am counting) and I am scared rigid. I have lists that direct me to other lists, pillow talk is now about Canada, (wasn't much better before that, but hey ho).

YES

Excited, and counting our lucky stars, so many people here wait for years to fulfill their dreams and to be honest I feel incredibly guilty about the way it has worked for us.
Charlie
Thankyou Charlie
it is nice to get back to the original postI am so glad everything has worked out and you are nearly off how exciting!!Where abouts are you heading for?
Old Jan 24th 2008, 6:49 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Coffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond reputeCoffeepot has a reputation beyond repute

YES

Charlie
Pleased to here from you again, so how long have you got to go now
We aren't even going till later in the year and i am writing lists of lists so don't panick, its great to get things down on paper and out of your head,

Don't feel guilty just be relieved its gone the way it has,
keep talking to us all i really believe it helps to know theres other people going through the same as you ( more or less ) it doesn't feel like your on your own, take care charlie
Old Jan 24th 2008, 11:29 am
Forum Regular

lynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant future

YES

Charlie
Well done and best of luck to you both!

We are hoping to go to NS but may actually end up moving around Ellesmere, Shropshire beforehand, as life in France is proving a bit difficult! Didn't want to go back to the NW and Shropshire seems prettier, cheaper and with some good schools and it's only an hour or so from family. Just wish we could make our minds up.
Old Jan 24th 2008, 5:30 pm

Originally Posted by j42
Thankyou Charlie
it is nice to get back to the original postI am so glad everything has worked out and you are nearly off how exciting!!Where abouts are you heading for?
OH is going to be working in Brampton, Ontario, so we are looking about 30 mins away from there....

Originally Posted by Coffeepot
Pleased to here from you again, so how long have you got to go now
We aren't even going till later in the year and i am writing lists of lists so don't panick, its great to get things down on paper and out of your head,

Don't feel guilty just be relieved its gone the way it has,
keep talking to us all i really believe it helps to know theres other people going through the same as you ( more or less ) it doesn't feel like your on your own, take care charlie
Thank you, OH goes in 8 weeks and 5 days, children and I go at the beginning of August!

Originally Posted by lynpy
Well done and best of luck to you both!

We are hoping to go to NS but may actually end up moving around Ellesmere, Shropshire beforehand, as life in France is proving a bit difficult! Didn't want to go back to the NW and Shropshire seems prettier, cheaper and with some good schools and it's only an hour or so from family. Just wish we could make our minds up.
No way.....We live in Oswestry, 4 miles down the road from Ellesmere!!!!! I work the other side of Ellesmere, small world....

We have a house for sale in Oswestry?????...

Charlie
Old Jan 24th 2008, 8:36 pm
Forum Regular

lynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant futurelynpy has a brilliant future

No way.....We live in Oswestry, 4 miles down the road from Ellesmere!!!!! I work the other side of Ellesmere, small world....

We have a house for sale in Oswestry?????...

Charlie
'Tis a small world!

But is Ellesmere as nice as it looks? I have also looked at Oswestry but purely on schools Ellesmere appears to have the better high school.

Sorry we don't want to buy a house in Oswestry, well not yet anyway! We're going to rent because we hope to go to NS later and anyway got to sell this one in France first & that could take years!
Old Jan 24th 2008, 9:14 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YYZlover
Scared doesn't quite cover it. Totally terror struck is more like it. For the sake of my sanity I can not fail. I have to make it.

So what is scaring me is not being able to get there. The enormous amount of work entailed to succeed doesn't scare me at all.
I wrote the above 11 days ago.

I'm still panic stricken but now I'm also sat thinking "where do I start!!!!" Or rather my brain is screaming those words. I'm supposed to leave for YYZ in a month and by then I need to have an inventory of what I own and would consider to bring in the future.

There isn't enough hours in a day. I'm trying to figure out how to not sleep for the next 4 weeks, in a legal manner.
Old Jan 26th 2008, 10:58 pm

Originally Posted by lynpy
'Tis a small world!

But is Ellesmere as nice as it looks? I have also looked at Oswestry but purely on schools Ellesmere appears to have the better high school.

Sorry we don't want to buy a house in Oswestry, well not yet anyway! We're going to rent because we hope to go to NS later and anyway got to sell this one in France first & that could take years!

Hi,
Yes Ellesmere is as nice as it looks, nicer than Oswestry, which is not a pretty place! Lakelands School is smaller than The Marches, but I think they both do well results wise. As we plan to escape before mine hit Secondary school I never investigated to much. House price wise Oswestry will be cheaper, but if your renting that won't be an issue.

To get a place at Lakelands you will have to be in the catchment area. I think The Marches is more technology related, and Lakelands is more geared to sports and is smaller???

good Luck
Charlie
Old Jan 27th 2008, 9:56 am
Forum Regular

Hi,
Yes Ellesmere is as nice as it looks, nicer than Oswestry, which is not a pretty place! Lakelands School is smaller than The Marches, but I think they both do well results wise. As we plan to escape before mine hit Secondary school I never investigated to much. House price wise Oswestry will be cheaper, but if your renting that won't be an issue.

To get a place at Lakelands you will have to be in the catchment area. I think The Marches is more technology related, and Lakelands is more geared to sports and is smaller???

good Luck
Charlie
Thanks for that, I think we'll probably stick to Ellesmere then! That's if we have to go there first, of course!
Old Jan 28th 2008, 12:08 pm
Forum Regular

YOJO is on a distinguished road

Hi all. we are in the same boat...house up for sale....hassle with family...bad days and good days, just want better future for children ...hope it works out! JO

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.