Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anybody commute from Truro to Halifax area for work???

Anybody commute from Truro to Halifax area for work???

Old Apr 28th 2008, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

val50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond reputeval50 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody commute from Truro to Halifax area for work???

Originally Posted by Ontheboatout
There's rarely a need to speed in Nova Scotia.

Not my words...

Colchester is located at the centre of the Halifax – Moncton Growth Corridor. The Growth Corridor is the fastest growing economy in the Atlantic Region, home to over 700,000 people and a regional market of about 1.5 million. Some interesting facts include:
10th largest economic region in Canada
fastest growing population in Atlantic Canada
highest percentage concentration of university students in North America
9 universities and 7 community college campuses
20 Business Parks
2 international airports and Colchester’s Debert Airport
A modern, 4-lane freeway linking the Corridor’s communities to Central Canada, the American Northeast and beyond
Canada’s third busiest Port, being the first inbound and last outbound port of call to Europe and the Mediterranean
Among the best telecommunications infrastructure in North America; and,
A stable, low-cost workforce

Colchester is the third largest community in the Corridor after Halifax and Moncton. In terms of our economic performance, Colchester leads all other communities within the Corridor. The Town of Truro is the most cost-competitive location in the Corridor and the 5th most cost competitive location in North America based on KPMG’s 2004 edition of its widely recognized and respected Cost Competitiveness Study.

Truro:::Colchester is situated in the geographic center of the Growth Corridor, Atlantic Canada’s fastest growing economic region and holds the most strategically competitive location within the Corridor.

Lets be clear here though with your figures - you are talking about Nova Scotia, not just Colchester.
Whilst the position of Colchester can't be argued, it should also be made clear that all of the proposals made regarding growth, development, etc. depend upon the money for these projects being available.
I found this article in The Herald interesting
http://thechronicleherald.ca/Metro/1052449.html
Old Apr 28th 2008, 3:50 pm
Forum Regular

MJM1 is an unknown quantity at this point

Val50 - thanks for your advice- this is the wife here! Yes I would like to get a job for both the company and the stimulation but with two young children to settle first they will be the priority. Part-time work would be ideal to fit around school hours- but not sure how feasible that would be in Truro (Accounting is my area). (Hmm I see another thread coming on....)
Remote working for UK employers is also an option.

I work nigh on full-time in this country with the help of a childminder/MIL- but until I am relaxed and the kids are settled I want to be there for them as much as I can.

I agree- I don't want to end up cooped up in a 'dream house' waiting for OH to come home every night as I would end up going stir crazy. However, if this 'dream house' has stables out the back.......would I miss my husband? And what are the chances of his tea being on the table??? (Kidding sweetie, if you're reading this)

Seriously though- we are trying to reason if we were in the UK and a comparable house and land we are looking at buying in Nova Scotia came up- how far would we be prepared to travel to and from work.
Lets be honest to have such a house in this country you would HAVE to travel to quite an extent. Anything with land is going to be further out and be way too expensive.

I know there might be lots of dream houses closer to Halifax and I will keep looking as you never know what can crop up- but one of my justifications for moving across the Atlantic is for the different lifestyle. I don't want to slip into a similar existence but in a bigger house- its not just about the house- its about getting the kids away from the TV and 'Club Penguin' on the computer, coming in from school- pulling on their wellies and getting out in the fresh air.

At least thats what I'm hoping for!

I'm hoping through the school, this website, potential work? I'll get the opportunity to make friends as I don't think I would make a very good 'her indoors'.
Anyway, going to Truro to have a look myself shortly and can then reassess the situation!
Old Apr 28th 2008, 6:15 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Erinbrooke
Cheers Charlie - where abouts in NS do you live??

Y-C-D, if he does a lot of driving, how does your husband find the roads over there in general?

Are there lots of RCMP patrols/speed cameras on the highway?

What is the penalty for speeding ? (not that I am a fast driver)
Mr Y-C-D travels a lot of rural roads and even drives on logging trails. He often has to visit communications masts and ariels on hilltops so he is often off the beaten track.

The highway from New Glasgow, past Truro and down to Dartmouth is a lovely road - dual carriageway.

Have a look at the webcams here

PS Mr Y-C-D got his first ever speeding ticket (in his life) here last year - bad boy! His fine was around $230 or so . He was caught on a rural road not the highway. The highway is patrolled by unmarked cars as well as RCMP. No fixed speed cameras - don't know if they use mobile units though, never seen one.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 6:31 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MJM1
Val50 - thanks for your advice- this is the wife here! Yes I would like to get a job for both the company and the stimulation but with two young children to settle first they will be the priority. Part-time work would be ideal to fit around school hours- but not sure how feasible that would be in Truro (Accounting is my area). (Hmm I see another thread coming on....)
Remote working for UK employers is also an option.

I work nigh on full-time in this country with the help of a childminder/MIL- but until I am relaxed and the kids are settled I want to be there for them as much as I can.

I agree- I don't want to end up cooped up in a 'dream house' waiting for OH to come home every night as I would end up going stir crazy. However, if this 'dream house' has stables out the back.......would I miss my husband? And what are the chances of his tea being on the table??? (Kidding sweetie, if you're reading this)

Seriously though- we are trying to reason if we were in the UK and a comparable house and land we are looking at buying in Nova Scotia came up- how far would we be prepared to travel to and from work.
Lets be honest to have such a house in this country you would HAVE to travel to quite an extent. Anything with land is going to be further out and be way too expensive.

I know there might be lots of dream houses closer to Halifax and I will keep looking as you never know what can crop up- but one of my justifications for moving across the Atlantic is for the different lifestyle. I don't want to slip into a similar existence but in a bigger house- its not just about the house- its about getting the kids away from the TV and 'Club Penguin' on the computer, coming in from school- pulling on their wellies and getting out in the fresh air.

At least thats what I'm hoping for!

I'm hoping through the school, this website, potential work? I'll get the opportunity to make friends as I don't think I would make a very good 'her indoors'.
Anyway, going to Truro to have a look myself shortly and can then reassess the situation!
There always seem to be lots of job advertised in Job Bank for Truro area.

One thing you do get in a smaller community is great community spirit. That's why we like New Glasgow. Everyone seems to put in a lot of effort at community events and its a great way to meet people.

I will attached the pdf (again) for Truro area activities and clubs.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Truro clubs.pdf (3.07 MB, 254 views)
Old Apr 28th 2008, 8:16 pm
Been there, done that

MCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud ofMCrocker has much to be proud of

I was born in Truro but I seem to recall that it was in Cornwall......and nowhere near Colchester...
Old Apr 28th 2008, 10:13 pm
Nearly there! Tick, tock!

Erinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to all
Smile Re: Anybody commute from Truro to Halifax area for work???

I think by the sounds of it, it would be quicker to commute to Halifax from YOUR Truro in the UK, than the one in NS!!!
Old Apr 29th 2008, 12:18 pm
Just Joined

Cheddar Man is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by charlie1
30 Minutes! what vehicle do you fly?
I totally agree with you here Charlie, it takes me atleast 30 mins from Nine Mile River to get to Truro.
Old Apr 29th 2008, 1:10 pm

Erinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to all

Hi Cheddar Man,

How long does it take you from NMR to get to Dartmouth??

Only i've seen another house there
Old Apr 29th 2008, 10:58 pm
Just Joined

Hi Cheddar Man,

How long does it take you from NMR to get to Dartmouth??

Only i've seen another house there
It would take about 35-40 minutes but of course it depends where abouts in Dartmouth. The trip is pretty straight forward - onto the 102 from hwy 214, then onto the 118 till you reach 'Dark side'.

Have you seen the house in NMR or Dartmouth??
Old Apr 30th 2008, 10:14 am

Its actually in Upper Nine Mile River - My job is in Burnside, Dartmouth.
Old Apr 30th 2008, 11:33 am
Just Joined

Its actually in Upper Nine Mile River - My job is in Burnside, Dartmouth.
OK, that'll probably take you between 40-45 minutes depending on traffic/time of day.

If you need anymore info on NMR, local community, schools etc give me a shout.

Nick
Old Apr 30th 2008, 3:00 pm

If you need anymore info on NMR, local community, schools etc give me a shout.

Nick
I didn't honestly think it had a community!!

I have tried to make an appointment at Rawdon Elementary - our daughters are 7 & 5 - but haven't had a response yet.

My wife is a little concerned that the house is a but remote

Is there much going on around that area?

The house is located on Hwy 14 up from Cheese factory Corner.
Old May 11th 2008, 3:26 am

OK, have been back here (NS) for a few days now and have 98% ruled out this commute!!

House in Truro is still great, but the reality of that drive has hit home - even the girl in passport/immigration control shook her head in disbelief when I asked her!!

Anyway my incredibly pro active Realtor came up with a gem a lot closer to Dartmouth today and it looks likely we will offer on it
Old May 11th 2008, 6:17 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Hi Erinbrooke,

Glad you are having a good trip and you have hopefully found a house!, how exciting.

We are over on Tues for 9 days!

Enjoy the rest of your trip!

Nikki