Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Anybody commute from Truro to Halifax area for work???

Anybody commute from Truro to Halifax area for work???

Old Apr 27th 2008, 11:10 pm
Pictou County Superstarâ„¢

Greenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond reputeGreenhill has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Anybody commute from Truro to Halifax area for work???

Oh yes. There'll probably be 10-15 days where you're unable to go faster than 60km/h on the highway (and really shouldn't be there). For the rest of the winter you'll probably wish you lived less than 20km from work.

Originally Posted by Erinbrooke
Does winter weather really make a difference??
Old Apr 27th 2008, 11:27 pm
Scottish Canuck

Cookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond reputeCookie has a reputation beyond repute

Still in two minds!!!!!

On one hand, I'm telling myself how long it can take to travel half this distance in Newcastle - We currently live in Ryton and my wife used to work in a place called Silverlink, which is about 15 miles in total. She could never commute this in anything less than 45 mins. Even now she works in Newcastle city cente, approx 6 miles, and this takes around 30 mins!!!

On the other hand I'm hearing people already in NS telling me this distance is no good.

I was always under the impression that everyone in Canada expected to travel long distances to get anywhere.

We are coming back over on May 8th for a few days, so I suppose I'll be doing this run once or twice and might get a better feel for it

Does winter weather really make a difference??
We do have to travel quite long distances to get anywhere, but that tends to be for visiting places not for commuting (unless you work in the GTA/Vancouver where housing is expensive) - eg fancy a trip from NS to Toronto - 17 hour drive should do it!

It's not the time spent driving that puts people off here its the length of the journey - 200km (124 miles) commute each day adds up to a heck of a lot of fuel.

The problem with winter that snow storms can dump a fair bit of snow quite quickly therefore the roads get dicey before the show ploughs can get at them. Even a light snowfall can be whipped into a blizzard with a lightest of wind due to the snow being very powdery. We can also have freezing rain too.
Old Apr 27th 2008, 11:32 pm
Nearly there! Tick, tock!

Erinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to all
Smile Re: Anybody commute from Truro to Halifax area for work???

Whats the 102 like in winter??
Old Apr 27th 2008, 11:40 pm

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

Whats the 102 like in winter??
Apparantly not so good! We were out in Truro today and are now thinking about looking there to buy as we like it out there. So slowly working my way through MLS to see what I like!
Old Apr 27th 2008, 11:53 pm
Nearly there! Tick, tock!

Erinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to allErinbrooke is a name known to all
Smile Re: Anybody commute from Truro to Halifax area for work???

I know what you mean about Truro.

Thats why I'm trying to justify the journey from there to Dartmouth - the house we have seen is exactly what we are looking for, but the job I have accepted in Dartmouth is also great. It's not selfish to want both is it???

Truro does have a nice feel to it, in the same way as Windsor and Wolfville.

And we would be next to Ski Wentworth.

And we would be closer to road links into New Brunswick and beyond (for exploring!)

And we would get a lot more house per dollar.

Please can someone help me justify the commute?????
Old Apr 28th 2008, 12:46 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

You're a geordie, so I'll butt in. mapquest says it's a 60 miles each way commute, centre to centre. It also (laughably) says estimated time 57 mins.

Ha! Maybe on a Sunday afternoon in September.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 12:48 am

AmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond reputeAmyDavid has a reputation beyond repute

I know what you mean about Truro.

Thats why I'm trying to justify the journey from there to Dartmouth - the house we have seen is exactly what we are looking for, but the job I have accepted in Dartmouth is also great. It's not selfish to want both is it???

Truro does have a nice feel to it, in the same way as Windsor and Wolfville.

And we would be next to Ski Wentworth.

And we would be closer to road links into New Brunswick and beyond (for exploring!)

And we would get a lot more house per dollar.

I really like Wolfville and would love to live out there so really it is a toss up between the two.

My husband doesn't mind the commute back and forth to Truro - he used to go on the M25 everyday so this is nothing! Just a straight road 50 mins there and 50 mins back! No traffic congestion makes it okay for him!

He says he would not mind doing the drive every day and for what you could get out in Truro he would be happy to cope with whatever winter throws at him!

As for the extra cost of driving (as the gas goes up and up and up!) he would do an extra Saturday a month to cover the cost. So sounds like we are moving to Truro!!

When you come over in May, why not stay in Truro and do the drive back and forth a see what you think. If you are used to doing such distances/times in the Uk then I think you will cope.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 12:49 am

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
You're a geordie, so I'll butt in. mapquest says it's a 60 miles each way commute, centre to centre. It also (laughably) says estimated time 57 mins.

Ha! Maybe on a Sunday afternoon in September.
It really does only take that long and there is NEVER lots of traffic even at rush hour times.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 12:52 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by AmyDavid
It really does only take that long and there is NEVER lots of traffic even at rush hour times.
I was thinking more of snow.

On edit: But I really don't know the area, so if you think it's reasonable, then fine.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 12:53 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

ann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond reputeann m has a reputation beyond repute

What are your main driving forces for the move anyway? Do you commute two hours now? Do you want more family time?

Hubby's gone from about 1hr 25mins commute into London, to about 35 mins here - that's more than enough really

I hope your recce makes this clearer for you
Old Apr 28th 2008, 12:54 am

I was thinking more of snow.
Ahh I see - well I have no experience of it when the snow is falling so I can't comment!
Old Apr 28th 2008, 12:54 am
Born again atheist

Ahh I see - well I have no experience of it when the snow is falling so I can't comment!
Hmmm.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 1:05 am

Hmmm.
??
Old Apr 28th 2008, 1:08 am
Born again atheist

??
I think you'll find that snow plays a certain role in year-round life in Canada.
Old Apr 28th 2008, 1:17 am

I think you'll find that snow plays a certain role in year-round life in Canada.
I am aware of that! My answer was "I have no idea of what the 102 highway is like when it is snowing" what with not having driven on it when the snow is falling. Sooooooooooo thus, I cannot comment on it in snowy conditions.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.