Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any way to compare child car seats in Canada?

Any way to compare child car seats in Canada?

Old Jan 9th 2009, 12:04 am
Forum Regular

Greenstriper is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any way to compare child car seats in Canada?

Hi

We came over to Vancouver in October and need to get two new car seats - our kids are 2.5 years old and 10 months old. We had hoped just to get a new one for the baby, but no, it seems that ICBC require us to get two new seats with the Canadian do-das on.

Is it just me or are Canadian child car seats pretty ropey in comparison to UK standard ones? We currently have a Britax infant seat and a Maxi-Cosi Priori toddler one, both much safer (as far as I can tell) than most here!

Is there any way to compare car seats? I have tried to do some internet research, and as far as I can tell the only manufacturer who actually offers side-impact protection is Britax, and naturally they are twice the price of any other manufacturer....

Can anybody shed any light on this? Am feeling irritated and frustrated by the whole flipping thing at the moment.

Am currently considering the Britax Frontier for my toddler and the Britax Boulevard for the baby as these seem to be the only really safe options.

thanks
Old Jan 9th 2009, 1:42 am
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any way to compare child car seats in Canada?

It is an ongoing problem, and no, there is no way to compare the safety standards. The car seats are, on the whole, really quite ropey compared to the UK ones. The standards here only just moved over to five point harnesses, so you get the picture. You will be paying big bucks for the better car seats. My last Britax, shipped from Toronto, cost me over $300.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 2:52 am
I'm a girl, dagnabbit! :)

Wannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Greenstriper
Am currently considering the Britax Frontier for my toddler and the Britax Boulevard for the baby as these seem to be the only really safe options.

thanks
Just to let you know, the Frontier has been recalled because of potential problems with the harness...
Old Jan 9th 2009, 7:22 am
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Does anyone know the requirements re type of seat for babies/toddlers in Canada?

In the UK there are height/weight guidelines for the type of seat you should be using from baby through to booster. Trying to work out if I need to bring one with me, although it sounds like it may not be any good

Thanks
Old Jan 9th 2009, 1:01 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nikki dreaming
Hi

Does anyone know the requirements re type of seat for babies/toddlers in Canada?

In the UK there are height/weight guidelines for the type of seat you should be using from baby through to booster. Trying to work out if I need to bring one with me, although it sounds like it may not be any good

Thanks
Laws vary by province I believe, but in general;

Rear facing 5 point harness till 20lbs / 1 year
Front facing 5 pt seat required until 40lb, after which a booster for using over the shoulder belt is OK.

80lb before ditching the booster and being allowed in the front at all.

All seats must have Canadian standards mark (CSA). I am not sure how enforced this is, but I expect at the least that insurance coverage in the event of the worst happening will be an issue if the investigators find its not there.

I just dont get this fuss over car seat standards. North America is the most litigious place on earth. If there were real deficiencies in seats compared to Europe you can bet your last cent that the american suppliers would be sued to death over it. FWIW when I last visited the UK my brother lent us a couple of seats...they were the same (exactly the same) as one of our canadian ones.

For the babe I recommend the Cosco Alpha Omega, its convertible from rear facing 5 pt all the way to booster, and will last till they are done with the booster.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/childcarseats/
Old Jan 9th 2009, 3:06 pm
Forum Regular

Hi

Thanks all for your replies - I didn't know that the Frontier had been recalled, so especially thanks for that.

So, if it does not have the Canadian maple leaf symbol, it is not legal for use in Canada - sigh>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.

Off to flamin' toys r us (otherwise known as hell on a stick) then!

Thanks.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 3:10 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Greenstriper

Off to flamin' toys r us (otherwise known as hell on a stick) then!
God no, thats the most expensive place to get them. Try Zellers or Canadian Tire First, or (whinces at the prospect) The evil otherwise known as Walmart.
Old Jan 9th 2009, 5:48 pm
Citizenship Nov 10 2016!!

nikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond reputenikki dreaming has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Laws vary by province I believe, but in general;

Rear facing 5 point harness till 20lbs / 1 year
Front facing 5 pt seat required until 40lb, after which a booster for using over the shoulder belt is OK.

80lb before ditching the booster and being allowed in the front at all.

All seats must have Canadian standards mark (CSA). I am not sure how enforced this is, but I expect at the least that insurance coverage in the event of the worst happening will be an issue if the investigators find its not there.

I just dont get this fuss over car seat standards. North America is the most litigious place on earth. If there were real deficiencies in seats compared to Europe you can bet your last cent that the american suppliers would be sued to death over it. FWIW when I last visited the UK my brother lent us a couple of seats...they were the same (exactly the same) as one of our canadian ones.

For the babe I recommend the Cosco Alpha Omega, its convertible from rear facing 5 pt all the way to booster, and will last till they are done with the booster.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/childcarseats/
Thanks for the info Iaink

Will have to get one on arrival
Old Jan 9th 2009, 7:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light

Anyone know guidance on booster seats? Mine will be 9,7 and 5 and are all still in full side-impact graco here, but have no idea what rules are for 'big' kids in Canada?... I saw the CBC says between 4 and 8 then booster seats, but are there proper seats avail for this age group as well? Smallest has a few physical issues which mean a more supportive seat is better than a booster for all sorts of reasons rather than just safety... do they still have that weird tether thing to screw to the back of the seat?...
Old Jan 9th 2009, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light

a quick note for anyone travelling with an infant who has booked them a plane seat - we didn't bring our car seat with us for the almost 1yo as we were told it was illegal to use it. When we got on the flight the stewardess said 'where's your car seat? Explained we had one waiting for us on arrival etc, and then had to lap seat the (lovely darling) child for 8 hours as she wasn't allowed to sit in her own seat. Did she sleep? Did she %$£".
Do ask the airline what they recommend lol.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 2:43 am
I'm a girl, dagnabbit! :)

Wannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by debbiem
I saw the CBC says between 4 and 8 then booster seats, but are there proper seats avail for this age group as well?

Yes, there are. You can get a forward facing carseat that will let you keep the kid in a 5-point harness up until 65 pounds, and then you just take the harness out of the seat and use it as a regular booster seat up to 100 pounds.

... do they still have that weird tether thing to screw to the back of the seat?...

Yes, it's required by law to have forward facing carseats anchored with a tether strap. If you don't have a 'loop' for the hook in your car, you have to have one retrofitted.
Old Jan 10th 2009, 8:05 am
BE Enthusiast

Thanks wannabe - you're a star!
Old Jan 10th 2009, 1:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

tallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by debbiem
a quick note for anyone travelling with an infant who has booked them a plane seat - we didn't bring our car seat with us for the almost 1yo as we were told it was illegal to use it. When we got on the flight the stewardess said 'where's your car seat? Explained we had one waiting for us on arrival etc, and then had to lap seat the (lovely darling) child for 8 hours as she wasn't allowed to sit in her own seat. Did she sleep? Did she %$£".
Do ask the airline what they recommend lol.
Hi Debbie

Just curious as to which airline this was?
Old Jan 10th 2009, 5:28 pm
Forum Regular

siw1978 is an unknown quantity at this point

hi
We are moving out to Calgary in Feb and have two perfectly good car seats. are we not able to use these when we get ovet there then? I am slightly confused after reading this thread.
Thanks kirsty
Old Jan 10th 2009, 5:46 pm
Forum Regular

Hi Kirsty - as far as I know, having had an ultimately unrewarding conversation with the person on the end of the phone at the ICBC car seat hotline (yes, there is such a thing!), for a car seat to be legal in Canada, it must have the Canadian maple leaf symbol on it.

As UK car seat manufacturers care not a jot about Canadian standards, naturally they do not bother putting this on their car seats. We have therefore had to buy two new Canadian car seats at vast expense as we went for Britax ones for safety purposes, and I fully suspect that they are both less safe than the UK ones they replace.

The reason we chose to replace is that it can affect any insurance claim you make if involved in a car accident - I don't want to give ICBC any reason to refuse any claim we might make, especially as we are new drivers in Canada and, let's face it, they do drive on the wrong side of the road over here.

I don't know who you would contact in Alberta, but am sure you would still need Canadian standard car seats - a big old pain in the backside I know and we are now left with wondering what to do with our perfectly good UK car seats.....!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.