Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any way to compare child car seats in Canada?

Any way to compare child car seats in Canada?

Old Jan 10th 2009, 6:22 pm
Cynically amused.

dingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond reputedingbat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any way to compare child car seats in Canada?

Originally Posted by Greenstriper
...and we are now left with wondering what to do with our perfectly good UK car seats.....!
What size/age range are they?
Old Jan 10th 2009, 7:25 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Greenstriper
I don't know who you would contact in Alberta, but am sure you would still need Canadian standard car seats - a big old pain in the backside I know and we are now left with wondering what to do with our perfectly good UK car seats.....!
Certification of child car seats is as you suspect a national thing not provincial.

Originally Posted by Transport Canada Website
All infant, child and booster seats sold in Canada, regardless of their price, must meet Transport Canada's safety regulations. These regulations help protect children in a sudden stop or collision. The regulations also require safe materials, instruction booklets and a National Safety Mark on the seat like the one shown below:

http://www.tc.gc.ca/roadsafety/tp/tp...ng%20Checklist
Old Jan 10th 2009, 7:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light

tallperson - it was air canada, but I suspect we got a bad tempered head stewardess or whatever they are called... she just wasn't budging on the seat thing. i thought it would be lap-sat for take-off and landing, and we could use the other seat for the other 7 1/2 hours lol, but no.

fortunately work paid the airfare so I didn't bother trying to get a refund

kirsty - we were in alberta and were told no UK carseats. They are different, as I sort of mentioned earlier they have a tether strap which we don't have on our UK seats, and some are quite a different design. (OK - very different!)
Old Jan 10th 2009, 11:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

tallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by debbiem
tallperson - it was air canada, but I suspect we got a bad tempered head stewardess or whatever they are called... she just wasn't budging on the seat thing. i thought it would be lap-sat for take-off and landing, and we could use the other seat for the other 7 1/2 hours lol, but no.

fortunately work paid the airfare so I didn't bother trying to get a refund

kirsty - we were in alberta and were told no UK carseats. They are different, as I sort of mentioned earlier they have a tether strap which we don't have on our UK seats, and some are quite a different design. (OK - very different!)
Thanks for the info. Had a look at Air Canada website and this is what it says:

Restrictions for infants and children occupying a seat

* An infant for whom a seat has been purchased must be properly secured in an approved child restraint device (see regulations above).

So flying from the UK you are stuck with them on your lap because only Canadian Approved car seats are allowed to be used in flight. Crazy!!
I wonder if BA have the same rules? Had a look and basically they do as well - how things change!

Last edited by tallperson; Jan 11th 2009 at 12:04 am. Reason: updated info.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 1:25 am
I'm a girl, dagnabbit! :)

Wannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tallperson
Thanks for the info. Had a look at Air Canada website and this is what it says:

Restrictions for infants and children occupying a seat

* An infant for whom a seat has been purchased must be properly secured in an approved child restraint device (see regulations above).

So flying from the UK you are stuck with them on your lap because only Canadian Approved car seats are allowed to be used in flight. Crazy!!
I wonder if BA have the same rules? Had a look and basically they do as well - how things change!
It doesn't have to be a car seat bought in Canada, as long as it adheres to Transport Canada regulations.

"Models manufactured after January 1, 1981 must bear a label stating that "This child restraint system conforms to all applicable Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.", or that the seat has been certified to CMVSS 213 or 213.1; (Important: All foreign-built car seats must adhere to Transport Canada regulations).
... from here: http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...ant-child.html
Old Jan 11th 2009, 1:31 am
BE Enthusiast

tallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to beholdtallperson is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Wannabe
It doesn't have to be a car seat bought in Canada, as long as it adheres to Transport Canada regulations.

"Models manufactured after January 1, 1981 must bear a label stating that "This child restraint system conforms to all applicable Canadian Motor Vehicle Safety Standards.", or that the seat has been certified to CMVSS 213 or 213.1; (Important: All foreign-built car seats must adhere to Transport Canada regulations).
... from here: http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...ant-child.html
But how many UK seats do you think carry such a label?

I would like to be pleasantly surprised but I have my doubts.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 2:15 am
I'm a girl, dagnabbit! :)

Wannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud ofWannabe has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by tallperson
But how many UK seats do you think carry such a label?

I would like to be pleasantly surprised but I have my doubts.
The way I read it, your seat doesn't need the label, but it'll have to be made to the same, or exceeding, the standards of Canadian car seats.
I might be wrong, though.
Old Jan 11th 2009, 7:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Elaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond reputeElaine B. has a reputation beyond repute

I moved back here in July and I'm still using my Canadian Car seats I guess I should have got new ones
Old Jan 11th 2009, 1:55 pm
Forum Regular

Greenstriper is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

The way I understand it from ICBC, the car seat needs to have the maple leaf sign on it to prove that it is certified for use in Canada - even though most UK car seats would be safer (in my opinion anyway), as they do not have the maple leaf, they are not legal in Canada.

The UK ones I have are a Britax baby rear-facing one, suitable from birth to about 10 months, and a Maxi Cosi one, forward-facing, from 10 months up to about 4 years old I think.

We came over on BA and they gave us a bassinet seat thing for the baby and my toddler just had his own seat as he was 2.5 years old. We brought our UK car seats in our luggage for use over here as we did not realise that we would not be allowed to use them - ho hum.............!
Old Jan 12th 2009, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

Nikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud ofNikki Ian has much to be proud of

Hi

We came to Alberta last April with a 2 year old.

We did our research before we arrived and knew that our brand new UK car seat wouldn't be legal in Canada - so we gave it to a friend.

We bought a Britax Frontier and we are extremely pleased with it - yep it's expensive but worth every cent and more, if it protects our son from some of these crazy canadian drivers!! LOL!

I know that it's been recalled but for a very simple issue and Britax are rectifying it. We won't be changing it and I would still recommend it to others.

Hope that helps

Nikki
xx
Old Jan 12th 2009, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

debbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of lightdebbiem is a glorious beacon of light

yes, you can book a sky cot or a bassinet providing the baby is i think less than... er, 19 lbs? (that's from memory, so needs checking).
my boy was 16lbs at 10 weeks though lol, so the timeframe for wedging him in it was fairly narrow (unlike him)
at six months he was 25lbs but I booked one anyway as I was travelling on my own with a baby who couldn't yet sit and a two year old (!) it's still a fag as every time you hit turbulence you have to get them out and hold them in any case... and we had a lot, so I guess that was our payback for exceeding the weight limit...

the symbol definitely has to be stamped on the car seat. UK ones are not legal in Canada for that reason. The cops in Alberta always visit the UK forces stationed there to offer 'advice' to anyone who may have 'inadvertently' brought their UK seats over lol. They check for legality as well as offering advice about securing etc.