Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any Vancouver experts that can answer a few qu's?

Any Vancouver experts that can answer a few qu's?

Old Mar 26th 2013, 11:34 am

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Vancouver experts that can answer a few qu's?

Oh and make a few of these when you first get here. They'll come in handy.

Old Mar 26th 2013, 11:54 am
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Oink
Oh and make a few of these when you first get here. They'll come in handy.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=cO2OX44iOig
I remember those when I was a university student in Ontario but the police were on to the scam.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 12:09 pm
Forum Regular

Kopitewarrior is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by jandro
If you're coming here for just a year and your not setting you job aspirations very high then you should be fine. You may have to rent somewhere further out in the burbs. While here take advantage of what the place as to offer - easy access to great outdoor activities. And cheap sushi.
I've had quick look on Craiglist and there seem to be quite a few houses that are $1800 a month around main city area (not downtown obviously, but close enough). That's $600 a month each which doesn't seem too bad?

And that soda can thing is great! B.C does sure have some funny alcohol laws, but hey its better than drunken fools spilling onto the streets eh?

You guys are the best
Old May 27th 2013, 1:13 am
Just Joined

ohcanada is an unknown quantity at this point

I agree with most of the posts here, Vancouver is expensive to buy but I found renting affordable in Vancouver and also the surrounding surbubs with easy transit links into the city. The skytrain and bus network is good. I found out from experience that my electric and water bill was way much cheaper in Vancouver (living in the westend near the beach) than here in Calgary. Was paying about $12 a month on a 1 bed apartment compared to $250 a month out here on a two bed townehouse. Moved to Burnaby BC and was paying max of $60 per 3 months in a two bed apartment. Weather is great and the outdoors beautiful. Loads of different ethnic restuarants and provides a quick getaway to the US. Working on moving back.
Old May 27th 2013, 1:16 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ohcanada
I agree with most of the posts here, Vancouver is expensive to buy but I found renting affordable in Vancouver and also the surrounding surbubs with easy transit links into the city. The skytrain and bus network is good. I found out from experience that my electric and water bill was way much cheaper in Vancouver (living in the westend near the beach) than here in Calgary. Was paying about $12 a month on a 1 bed apartment compared to $250 a month out here on a two bed townehouse. Moved to Burnaby BC and was paying max of $60 per 3 months in a two bed apartment. Weather is great and the outdoors beautiful. Loads of different ethnic restuarants and provides a quick getaway to the US. Working on moving back.
How did you find cost of living? And how's getting employment (part-time casual work mostly).
Old May 27th 2013, 1:48 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Kopitewarrior
How did you find cost of living? And how's getting employment (part-time casual work mostly).

Cost of living was actually cheaper than I had expected, I don't drive and used to get around Vancouver and the surbubs easily with buses and trains. It's even easy to bus or train to Seattle. There's plenty fresh fruit and vege markets and there's always Wholefoods market which is not the cheapest even back in UK but you van indulge once in a while. I'm a nurse so gettn a Jon was not difficult. Depending on ur lifestyle, you could easily live on the outskirts of Vancouver ie burnaby, Richmond and some good areas of surrey and commute coz the transit system is really good.
Old May 27th 2013, 1:48 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

If you are thinking about working in a pub/bar or a restaurant that serves alcohol, I would suggest getting your 'serve it right' certification before you come as you will stand a better chance of getting a job if you already have it (it's a requirement at most places). You can do it online and print off your test certificate.

http://www.servingitright.com/

If you are looking for a hospitality job, you could start here: http://www.go2hr.ca/jobboard or for other work look on www.kijiji.ca or https://www.workbc.ca/Jobs/

Old May 27th 2013, 1:53 am
Forum Regular

Thanks folks. Any idea what would be a reasonable monthly budget? I was thinking $2000 max for rent between 3.
Old May 27th 2013, 2:03 am
Banned

Siouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond reputeSiouxie has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks folks. Any idea what would be a reasonable monthly budget? I was thinking $2000 max for rent between 3.
You could have a look at kijiji to get an idea of prices. Others will probably recommend a few sites that are good for finding rentals in Vancouver.

Old May 27th 2013, 2:09 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by siouxie
You could have a look at kijiji to get an idea of prices. Others will probably recommend a few sites that are good for finding rentals in Vancouver.

Check also Craigslist, plenty of 3 bed homes betwee $1500 and $2000.
Old May 27th 2013, 2:18 am

Aviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond reputeAviator has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ohcanada
I'm a nurse so gettn a Jon was not difficult.
In uniform on East Hastings?
Old May 27th 2013, 2:47 am
Éireann go Brách

Londonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond reputeLondonuck has a reputation beyond repute

If i was looking for casual work i would be more inclined to look east. Its hard to live and have fun here on good wages let alone casual ones.
Old May 28th 2013, 5:00 am
Forum Regular

MrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond reputeMrHyperPants has a reputation beyond repute

If your doing casual jobs you will get paid between $9 - $14 an hour for a 40hr week, if you get 40hrs. Which doesn't go very far. Vancouver doesnt have a nightlife. I would recommend getting an outdoor hobby. Or maybe try get a job at the ski resorts in whistler as loads of travellers there, plus bars which they are all in. But is pricey there.

As others have mentioned, check craigslist or kiji for jobs and renting. I would look at living in east van if I was you, seen as your gonna be on a budget. Loon for places rNear commercial and Broadway station. Which has good transport links.

I will post about another agencey I used later. I'm typing this on my ph and can't remember the name of them.

plus side, van is close to USA border. You can get cheap flights from Bellingham in USA to Vegas, la and san Fran.

Will write some more later.
Old May 29th 2013, 9:05 am
Forum Regular

boybiskit is an unknown quantity at this point

" While here take advantage of what the place as to offer - easy access to great outdoor activities. And cheap sushi"

^+1
The sushi is amazing and very very cheap. I can't wait to get back to it for good come August.

3 lads in Vancouver will be fine. It's exactly what I did after uni and, 10 years later, I'm heading back again. Hope up love it as much as we did / do.