Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any Vancouver experts that can answer a few qu's?

Any Vancouver experts that can answer a few qu's?

Old Mar 26th 2013, 7:30 pm
Forum Regular

Kopitewarrior is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any Vancouver experts that can answer a few qu's?

Hi there you ever-so-useful people. Me and 2 other guys are moving to Vancouver for a year, and I would like to ask a few questions about what life is like there?

Common negatives are that its ridiculously expensive and the job market is pretty depressed. However, we are going to be sharing the rent between the 3 of us, and won't be looking at anywhere too fancy. We're also not looking for any 'serious' career-driven jobs (of which I'm continually told there's a lack of), only casual work to get by. We're not the type of people who spend alot of money on dining out, cinema trips etc either.

Do you think we'll be able to get by and have a good life in Vancouver? This city gets ALOT of hate on the internet, but I feel that we can overcome some of its shortcomings? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Any help would be awesome, and sorry mods if I've created too much of a duplicate thread, not familiar around these parts when it comes to posting.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 7:48 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Vancouver experts that can answer a few qu's?

It’s only expensive to buy property and motor insurance, everything else is about par. The main advantage Vancouver has is weather and access to the ocean but its still Canada so it’s as dull and dog doody. TBH three lads would have more fun in Southend than here. If you came for a couple of weeks that’s about all you’d need.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 7:50 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kopitewarrior
Hi there you ever-so-useful people. Me and 2 other guys are moving to Vancouver for a year, and I would like to ask a few questions about what life is like there?

Common negatives are that its ridiculously expensive and the job market is pretty depressed. However, we are going to be sharing the rent between the 3 of us, and won't be looking at anywhere too fancy. We're also not looking for any 'serious' career-driven jobs (of which I'm continually told there's a lack of), only casual work to get by. We're not the type of people who spend alot of money on dining out, cinema trips etc either.
Buying real estate in Vancouver is expensive. Other costs of living are more or less on a par with other Canadian cities. There is work about for people that want it.

Do you think we'll be able to get by and have a good life in Vancouver?
"Good" is obviously subjective. If you like doing things outdoors I don't see why not. If you are looking for London/New York night life then probably not.

This city gets ALOT of hate on the internet,
Jealousy is such an ugly emotion.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 7:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JonboyE
Buying real estate in Vancouver is expensive. Other costs of living are more or less on a par with other Canadian cities. There is work about for people that want it.

"Good" is obviously subjective. If you like doing things outdoors I don't see why not. If you are looking for London/New York night life then probably not.

I thought food was meant to be really expensive too? Or is that just a Canadian thing? How much work do you think (if you can be bothered working it out!) we'll each have to do to have a decent life? We've been living as students for the past 3 years, so we don't expect the luxuries in life. All we really spend money on is food and transport.

Thanks for your help
Old Mar 26th 2013, 7:58 pm
Forum Regular

And unfortunately is gets alot of hate from some residents

Just looking for reassurance basically
Old Mar 26th 2013, 8:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

I thought food was meant to be really expensive too? Or is that just a Canadian thing? How much work do you think (if you can be bothered working it out!) we'll each have to do to have a decent life? We've been living as students for the past 3 years, so we don't expect the luxuries in life. All we really spend money on is food and transport.

Thanks for your help
You can eat quite cheaply in Vancouver.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 8:54 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Lychee
You can eat quite cheaply in Vancouver.
So if we have 3 people bringing in rent and if we live somewhere basic we'll be alright? Also, does anyone have experience of the people? Got some people saying that alot of them are arrogant and self absorbed, but others saying they're lovely.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 9:46 pm
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's quite subjective really, I've lived here seven years and loved every minute of it. But I know Brits that hated the whole experience and couldn't wait to go back.

My suggestion is come with an open mind, yes you need to do some homework on jobs (& as far as I'm aware the market isn't depressed, depends on the job) and living costs. For example if you want a swanky apartment in Yaletown that's going to cost you, if you shop around and look outside the Downtown core (such as Commercial Drive, Mount Pleasant areas) you'll find better deals.

You don't say what type of work you want to do, but I'd recommend joining up with a few recruitment agencies when you get here.

Food can be more expensive but that also depends where you shop, eating out isn't too bad though the booze is expensive!

Check out Craigslist for both apartments and work.

Good luck!
Old Mar 26th 2013, 10:03 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Tigger1
I think it's quite subjective really, I've lived here seven years and loved every minute of it. But I know Brits that hated the whole experience and couldn't wait to go back.

My suggestion is come with an open mind, yes you need to do some homework on jobs (& as far as I'm aware the market isn't depressed, depends on the job) and living costs. For example if you want a swanky apartment in Yaletown that's going to cost you, if you shop around and look outside the Downtown core (such as Commercial Drive, Mount Pleasant areas) you'll find better deals.

You don't say what type of work you want to do, but I'd recommend joining up with a few recruitment agencies when you get here.

Food can be more expensive but that also depends where you shop, eating out isn't too bad though the booze is expensive!

Check out Craigslist for both apartments and work.

Good luck!
Wow that's really good, thanks! We're certainly not going for yaletown, looking at perhaps North Shore/Kits or around the areas you suggested. We're not really that fussed on the type of work we do, as long as it pays the bills! Are the recruiting agencies any good?
Old Mar 26th 2013, 10:23 pm
BE Forum Addict

Lychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond reputeLychee has a reputation beyond repute

East Van in general will be cheaper to live/eat/shop/drink than Kits and even parts of the North Shore. It's a younger, student-y place too. Kits is too, but it's pricier.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 10:41 pm
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

So if we have 3 people bringing in rent and if we live somewhere basic we'll be alright? Also, does anyone have experience of the people? Got some people saying that alot of them are arrogant and self absorbed, but others saying they're lovely.
I've been here 14 years so have a bit. In my work I get to meet a lot of people. There is the odd arsehole about, but in general I find people friendly in normal social interations and easy to get on with. Don't mistake friendliness with someone wanting to be a friend. It is just the way people are. It is as easy, and as difficult, to make friends here as anywhere.

Careful with the banter. British style banter can often seem rude and offensive to Canadians. Don't go on about how things are better in the UK. Whatever you think, Canadians are very positive people who are proud of their country. And also remember that people have set and established lifestyles. They are probably happy that you are visiting and hope you enjoy yourselves but there is a limit to hospitality, especially if you seem to take it all for granted.

A bit of humility, an appreciation of Canada, and a willingness to take in new experiences go a long way.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 10:47 pm
Forum Regular

I've been here 14 years so have a bit. In my work I get to meet a lot of people. There is the odd arsehole about, but in general I find people friendly in normal social interations and easy to get on with. Don't mistake friendliness with someone wanting to be a friend. It is just the way people are. It is as easy, and as difficult, to make friends here as anywhere.

Careful with the banter. British style banter can often seem rude and offensive to Canadians. Don't go on about how things are better in the UK. Whatever you think, Canadians are very positive people who are proud of their country. And also remember that people have set and established lifestyles. They are probably happy that you are visiting and hope you enjoy yourselves but there is a limit to hospitality, especially if you seem to take it all for granted.

A bit of humility, an appreciation of Canada, and a willingness to take in new experiences go a long way.
Certainly won't be doing any of that! Why do you think I'm leaving the place
Old Mar 26th 2013, 11:03 pm
Recruiter Extraordinaire

Tigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond reputeTigger1 has a reputation beyond repute

Wow that's really good, thanks! We're certainly not going for yaletown, looking at perhaps North Shore/Kits or around the areas you suggested. We're not really that fussed on the type of work we do, as long as it pays the bills! Are the recruiting agencies any good?
There's a few that have a good rep, Kelly Services and Placement Group (they have supplied me with staff) it depends on what sort of work you will be looking for really. There are specialized agencies and those that are more generic.

As a whole I have found Canadians very friendly pleasant people, yes there are exceptions to the rule but that can be said the world over. As Jonboy E said, be open and even though Canada is an English speaking country, the culture is very different here. Lots of nuances and things that sometimes make me scratch my head but all in all every experience I have had here has been positive.

Oh one thing on the job front, be prepared for employers to take a while to get back to you. This is the West Coast and they tend to be more laid back than us Brits
Old Mar 26th 2013, 11:24 pm

Oink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond reputeOink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tigger1
There's a few that have a good rep, Kelly Services and Placement Group (they have supplied me with staff) it depends on what sort of work you will be looking for really. There are specialized agencies and those that are more generic.

As a whole I have found Canadians very friendly pleasant people, yes there are exceptions to the rule but that can be said the world over. As Jonboy E said, be open and even though Canada is an English speaking country, the culture is very different here. Lots of nuances and things that sometimes make me scratch my head but all in all every experience I have had here has been positive.

Oh one thing on the job front, be prepared for employers to take a while to get back to you. This is the West Coast and they tend to be more laid back than us Brits
That’s dreadful advice. Be stubborn and uncompromisingly British and although they’ll try it on, don't take any guff from them and make it rule that you won’t discuss football and cricket with them if they stay away from droning on about ice hockey and their relationship with the aboriginal people.
Old Mar 26th 2013, 11:28 pm
Best Place on Earth- LMAO

jandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of lightjandro is a glorious beacon of light

Do you think we'll be able to get by and have a good life in Vancouver? This city gets ALOT of hate on the internet, but I feel that we can overcome some of its shortcomings? Correct me if I'm wrong.

Any help would be awesome, and sorry mods if I've created too much of a duplicate thread, not familiar around these parts when it comes to posting.
If you're coming here for just a year and your not setting you job aspirations very high then you should be fine. You may have to rent somewhere further out in the burbs. While here take advantage of what the place as to offer - easy access to great outdoor activities. And cheap sushi.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.