Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any Recruiters / Employers out there? (/comment on new immigration rules)

Any Recruiters / Employers out there? (/comment on new immigration rules)

Old Feb 3rd 2002, 6:30 pm
Just Joined

Robuk is an unknown quantity at this point

Firstly, I'd like to make an appeal - to try and get an interview / a discussion / something with a potential employer.

I graduated with a degree in Commerce from one of the top Universities in England 3 years ago. Within the last few years I have worked for KPMG (worldwide big 5), Hays (UK FTSE 100) and Npower (part of the Innogy group, FTSE 250 listed).

I have been desperate to move to Toronto - I have visited there a few times, love the place and the people. I am extremely bright, willing, good with people and work hard - I am desperate to try and arrange some form of employment - I will consider anything and I have alot to offer any prospective company.

I have recently moved back in to my dad's house to save the money I needed to get to Toronto - now the immigration rules have changed I am no longer elligable - without a secured job.

So if you would like my resume (CV) please do contact me - [email protected].

Many thanks and kind regards,

Rob N.

As an additional comment I think they've overtightened the immigration policy. It was loose before, and they were right to tighten it - but not to the extent of ruling out the right kind of skilled worker such as myself.
Old Feb 4th 2002, 2:26 pm
Chanhing

Look at the newsgroup "tor.jobs" from the same webpage that you got into this
newsgroup. You can post your resume there and see numerous listings of jobs in
Toronto. Also see www.monster.ca and www.workopolis.com.

Old Feb 4th 2002, 4:20 pm
Just Joined

Many thanks
Old Feb 4th 2002, 4:21 pm
Just Joined

but a point of note - i've tried monser.ca and workpolis - recruiters won't touch you unless you already have a visa, which is why i'm trying to look direct - not via recruitment agencies which seem to clog up the jobsites
Old Feb 4th 2002, 6:07 pm
Luterin

>
    >
I wonder whether posting a resume at the newsgroup would yield any results... I think
it very unlikely that any recruiters frequent tor.jobs.

It would be interesting to know whether any job seeker has actually had any responses
by posting a resume at a newsgroup.

-Lute.

Old Feb 4th 2002, 7:03 pm
Just Joined

i tried about a year ago - nothing - nadda - like i was saying - recruiters dont want to know. I used to work in recruitment - the process would be:

present CV to prospective employer.
tell employer you live e.g. in england
candidate willing to fly over for interview - fine
BUT you have to sponsor them for a job when they get here (there are legal complications here where they have to vouch you can do it better than a candian etc)

= pain when they can just recruit a candian - so when youve got a 3rd party recrtuiter added in to that, there is no chance they'll put your CV to the employer in the first place

Sad but true as the great song goes.

BTW just received a "yes youre elligable" from one of those lawyers advertising their services - the free on-line assessment (im sure youve all filled one in)! Well well, maybe i wasn't doing my application justice, or maybe they want to milk my $3000 US heh
Old Feb 5th 2002, 10:30 am
Etc

I too tried the same method as you Rob, and just as you, when you mention the
word 'sponsorship', employers have no interest, no matter how suitable or
qualified you are.

I did spend two months in Canada, and whilst there applied for jobs. I found that
when i didn't mention i required sponsorship i got a couple of interviews, with
actual employers. Obviously, during the interview i had to mention the requirement
for employment authorisation, and at that point they changed there minds, even when
during one interview i almost only had to sign on the dotted line.

There is a new rule that says foreign temporary workers who have been working in the
country for two years or more, are entitled to citizenship, but attaining an
employment for that duration (or any duration) is nigh impossible. The immigration
rules, i think, have been tightened in the wrong areas/for the wrong people. Yet
Canada says they want to encourage immigrants

Robuk <[email protected]>
    >
    >

Old Feb 5th 2002, 4:07 pm
Just Joined

Etc - glad to know it's not just me being cynical - I'd happy to go for the temporary visa as a viable option - work there and apply for jobs, and permanent status while im there - BUT YOU NEED A PRE-ARRANGED TEMPORARY JOB! pleaseeeeeeee - that is so rediculous

Hey - How about some success stories!!!!! (i will make a new post of this!!)

For those of you who havent signed up, Rosenblatt Associates, an immigration lawyer (i'll plug their website here since about about to reproduce some stuff they sent me: immigrate.net) send me useful stuff about canada and canadian immigration law etc - heres a couple of useful articles.

IMMIGRANT MPs BLAST NEW RULES
Most immigrant MPs wouldn't get in: Hill Times survey

by F. Abbas Rana
The Hill Times (Canada’s Politics and Government Newsweekly) Monday, February 4, 2002

A majority of MPs and Senators who came to Canada as immigrants would have failed to secure Canadian immigration had they applied under the proposed new immigration law, according to a Hill Times survey.

And it's unclear even if natives of Canada, like Prime Minister Jean Chrétien (Saint-Maurice, Que.) and former immigration minister Elinor Caplan (Thornhill, Ont.), the architect of the current proposed regulations for Bill C-11, would qualify for Canadian immigration if they were on the outside trying to get in.

Urban Ontario Liberal MPs are angry about the tough new immigration rules which are creating deep divisions in the Liberal caucus. Last week, new Immigration Minister Denis Coderre (Bourassa, Que.) said he's willing to change the rules because they may disqualify some of the skilled workers Canada needs. Set up as a point system, immigrants need 80 points to get into the country. Previously, they needed 70 points if they wanted to get in under the "independent" category. This category is the main one, but there are three others: business, family and international adoption.

Opposition MPs are also throwing in their dissent as well.

"I wouldn't have qualified for sure under the new proposed regulations by Elinor Caplan," said NDP MP Libby Davies (Vancouver East, B.C.). "Everybody has different circumstances but I think most of us wouldn't have qualified to come to Canada under the new immigration rules."

Parliament presently has 44 MPs and 10 Senators who were born outside Canada and an overwhelming majority of them came to Canada as immigrants. These 54 Members of Parliament and Senators came to Canada from 27 different countries.

The revamped immigration regulations were made public on Dec. 17, 2001 and will be applicable retroactively, possibly disqualifying hundreds of thousands of applicants who filed their applications under the old rules. Immigration Canada currently has a backlog of 500,000 applications. The Department of Immigration normally admits the equivalent of one per cent of the population or about 300,000 people a year.

According to the newly-proposed regulations, a potential immigrant applicant less than 44 years old who has a PhD from Harvard or Stanford University in any field of study (science or arts) with even 10 years of experience and is fluently English speaking does not qualify to get Canadian landed immigrant status. That's assuming the person is single, doesn't speak French and doesn't have a job offer in Canada.

For guaranteed entry into Canada as a landed immigrant, according to the revised system likely to come into effect in June 2002, an individual must have a master's degree in any field of study, speak English or French fluently and have a job offer from a Canadian employer before earning Canadian immigration or he/she has to be married and the spouse has to have at least a master's degree.

For his part, Mr. Coderre also accepted the fact that the proposed new rules have significantly raised the bar for entry into Canada.

"I am not here to tell you what I am going to do. I am here to listen and I am here to hear both sides of the coin," said Mr. Coderre in an appearance that he made before the Standing Committee of Citizenship and Immigration. "I am the son of a carpenter and believe me, my Dad doesn't have a university degree but he can build a house."

The Immigration Department uses a point system to assess the eligibility of an individual before he or she is awarded the status of a landed immigrant. New rules require an applicant to score 80 points out of 100 as opposed to current rules that require 70 points out of 100. These points are awarded based on age, education, language skills, work experience, validated arranged employment and degree of adaptability.

There is a distinction between landed immigrants and refugees. Refugees file claims seeking protection from the government of the country they're trying to get to. They file their claims because they fear persecution. There can be a number of reasons they fear persecution. Truthfulness of refugee claims are evaluated through a different screening process which employs separate criteria. Refugees and family class immigrants will not be affected by the proposed new rules.

The Hill Times contacted the MPs and Senators who were born outside of Canada and who came to Canada as landed immigrants or refugees or international students in order to get their reactions to the new regulations. All the MPs and Senators who were available to give their reaction blasted former immigration minister Caplan's proposed regulations.

"I don't know about other people but I wouldn't have qualified for Canadian immigration," said B.C. Liberal Senator Mobina Jaffer who is a refugee lawyer. "I am worried about retrospective legislation and discretionary points. I don't think this is a Canadian way of doing things."

Toronto Liberal Senator Vivienne Poy came to Canada as an international student but later on got married to a Canadian medical doctor and decided to stay here. Senator Poy is critical of the retroactive implementation of the immigration regulations and suggested that skilled workers like carpenters should be given a chance to come to Canada even if they are not highly educated.

"Retroactivity, we all know is very unfair. Even if the government returns the applicants their application fee of $500 what about the other fees that they paid. They paid the lawyers and spent money in completing their documentation. Besides this, Canada is going to get a very bad reputation," said Sen. Poy who is currently working on her PhD thesis entitled, 'Canadian Immigration Law and the effect on Chinese Immigrant Women.' "We need people in this country who are skilled. We need those people who are dedicated who are willing to come to this country and make a life here not people who are using Canada as a stepping stone."

Alliance MP Gurmant Grewal (Surrey Central, B.C.) also expressed his dissatisfaction about the proposed new regulations. He said he thinks the changes are wrong.

"I think we need more of those people who could contribute to Canada's economy, who can work here, particularly independent category, entrepreneur, business men. We need them more."

Alliance MP Vic Toews (Provencher, Man.) was critical of the fact that the language factor has been over-emphasized while making a determination about the qualification of a potential immigrant applicant.

"I think I would have gotten the Canadian immigration anyways because my parents were Canadians but I did not know how to speak English at that time," said Mr. Toews. "Immigrants who built Canada were neither intellectual elites nor were they great linguists. As I mentioned, I did not know how to speak English when I came here but I learned it very quickly so I think the language factor has been over emphasized."

Proposed new regulations by the Department of Immigration require a potential immigrant to speak English or French fluently otherwise it will be highly difficult for him/her to qualify. The language factor, according to this legislation, has a maximum of 20 points.

Alliance MP Rahim Jaffer (Edmonton-Strathcona, Alta.), newly-appointed deputy leader of the Canadian Alliance and also an immigrant, stressed that security concerns of Canadians should have been addressed.

"I have obviously great interest in this area as my family came to Canada as refugees and one of the things that I don't want to see happening in the changes is to become more and more restrictive for potential immigrants and legitimate refugees to come to this country," said Mr. Jaffer. "It doesn't matter what changes this government brings in immigration law unless they address the security concerns that people are really concerned about; there is going to be a fear amongst Canadians about letting potential immigrants into the country."
Old Feb 5th 2002, 4:12 pm
Ingrid

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

where did you find this "new rule" saying that temporary workers are entitled to
citizenship after 2 years of employment?? I would be very interested in taking a look
at that....... I appreciate your help. Ingrid

Old Feb 6th 2002, 3:43 pm
Robert Brockway

>
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >

>
    >
    >

There was an announcement by the Canadian immigration Minister around Sept 19 2001
regarding this. I found it on the web a while back.

My reading of this was that it was independent category immigrants who could apply
for citizenship after 2 years rather than 3 years, and nothing to do with those on
"work permits". Rob

-- Robert Brockway B.Sc. Email: [email protected]
choice of a Gnu generation