Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any insight into live in Toronto?

Any insight into live in Toronto?

Old Feb 28th 2011, 12:07 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any insight into live in Toronto?

Originally Posted by MarylandNed
You mean this AstraZenica?

http://www.astrazeneca.ca/en/research/award.asp

Check out the list of award winners here.
Wow.

Educated Canadians work for British Pharmaceutical company with global presence that is two to ten years ahead of it's Canadian rivals.

Why aren't these people working for Canada's leading pharmaceutical companies because they are too far behind perhaps..............
Old Feb 28th 2011, 12:16 am
Dive Bar Drunk

JamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond reputeJamesM has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by London Mike
These lists, like the best schools in a given city, best cities of the world to live in, are only meaningful from one or two angles; they don't give the full picture of how a country, school or city is actually doing.

For example, check out: http://sciencewatch.com/dr/cou/2010/10decALL/

This shows that Canada holds itself up well against other nations in terms of published academic research. When you consider that Canada only has half the population of the UK and one third the population of Gernmany it looks even better. So in a league of papers published vs number of faculty publishing Canada will probably surpass the UK and many other nations apart from the US. I'd say frmo this that Canadian universities are in pretty good shape overall ...
It's an interesting article and perspective.

Education isn't an industry unless we're talking private education or universities where people are paying fees. I have no interest in free education- there are lots of variables that can distort that but people aren't really paying for it so I don't see where the industry is. Half of the kids who went to my school were there because they had to go- if they or their parents were given a choice they probably wouldn't and certainly if they had to pay for it.

I will stand by the fact that living in Toronto and doing day to day activities and having to spend my life here that it is 2 to 10 years behind the UK in nearly every industry.

I have worked in Telecom and Software and that held true. I shop in Solbys and Loblaws and they are light years behind Sainsbury and Tesco.

The lack of competition in Canada in most sectors makes them unproductive.

It's a simple life here. Little efficiency and little choice. That's not necessarily a bad thing but it is what it is. To kid someone wanting to move to Toronto that they are coming to a global metropolis with the opportunities and the cutting edge of say London, New York or Tokyo would be dishonest.

In Toronto we have poor radio, poor TV, crap supermarkets etc......This is offset against low crime, cheaper accommodation with more space and table service in bars. It's your own personal requirements that will determine if you stay or like it.

Last edited by JamesM; Feb 28th 2011 at 12:26 am.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 12:35 am

lmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond reputelmartin999 has a reputation beyond repute

What's the deal with ID here? I am going to a gig in a couple of weeks where it says "ID required". Given I will neither be driving a car nor travelling internationally I see no reason why I should be required to show a bouncer either my driving licence or passport. It amazes me how ready people are here to "show ID" to people who have no right to see it.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 12:41 am
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by lmartin999
What's the deal with ID here? I am going to a gig in a couple of weeks where it says "ID required". Given I will neither be driving a car nor travelling internationally I see no reason why I should be required to show a bouncer either my driving licence or passport. It amazes me how ready people are here to "show ID" to people who have no right to see it.
Agreed it's a little over the top.

They do do it at some clubs in England. It gives them confidence that if you cause trouble and the doorman have to throw you out they can check who you are for police etc.......

In Boston last year I was refused alcohol on my Canadian driving license. They would only accept passport. They had a policy of ID-ing everybody!
Old Feb 28th 2011, 1:31 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JamesM
In Boston last year I was refused alcohol on my Canadian driving license. They would only accept passport. They had a policy of ID-ing everybody!
Surely it's a well known fact that only 30% of US folk have a passport?

Does that mean that the rest can't buy booze?
Old Feb 28th 2011, 1:35 am
Dive Bar Drunk

Originally Posted by Novocastrian

That's one for the USA versus Canada forum...........

I can't keep up.............
Old Feb 28th 2011, 1:50 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

That's one for the USA versus Canada forum...........

I can't keep up.............
Well yes. The UK these days is 2 to 10 years behind Canada in multitasking, Young Jedi.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 2:13 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Maryland (via Belfast, Manchester, Toronto and London)
MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

Wow.

Educated Canadians work for British Pharmaceutical company with global presence that is two to ten years ahead of it's Canadian rivals.

Why aren't these people working for Canada's leading pharmaceutical companies because they are too far behind perhaps..............
AstraZenica is a global pharmaceutical company with historical roots in Sweden. In fact its R&D headquarters are in Sweden. It's corporate HQ just happens to be in London.

Similarly GSK is a global company. It has significant American and New Zealand roots. It grew with the help of acquisitions in Belgium, Canada and Poland.

Both companies have a significant presence in Canada because Canada has a highly educated and skilled workforce. And, yes, there are also pharmaceutical companies with HQ's in Canada.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 2:15 am
BE Forum Addict

MarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond reputeMarylandNed has a reputation beyond repute

No, because a significant number of the rest have US drivers' licenses or ID cards. Also, not everyone gets asked for ID. I'm 45 and look it and no-one bothers to ask me for ID anymore - at least not in Maryland, Virginia, or DC.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 2:22 am
Dive Bar Drunk

Well yes. The UK these days is 2 to 10 years behind Canada in multitasking, Young Jedi.
I can't multi-task because I'm male. That is one weakness in the sexes I have never been to proud to acknowledge.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 2:26 am
Dive Bar Drunk

AstraZenica is a global pharmaceutical company with historical roots in Sweden. In fact its R&D headquarters are in Sweden. It's corporate HQ just happens to be in London.

Similarly GSK is a global company. It has significant American and New Zealand roots. It grew with the help of acquisitions in Belgium, Canada and Poland.

Both companies have a significant presence in Canada because Canada has a highly educated and skilled workforce. And, yes, there are also pharmaceutical companies with HQ's in Canada.
Alright I'm moving on anyway.......but only because I see Belfast and Manchester in your signature so your probably rock hard and I don't want to be pummelled in.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 2:54 am
BE Forum Addict

Alright I'm moving on anyway.......but only because I see Belfast and Manchester in your signature so your probably rock hard and I don't want to be pummelled in.
LOL! Seriously, that made me laugh. I'm actually the intelligent, sensitive type....who misses his mum.
Old Feb 28th 2011, 3:33 am
Account Closed

fledermaus is an unknown quantity at this point

LOL! Seriously, that made me laugh. I'm actually the intelligent, sensitive type....who misses his mum.
I misread your name as Mary and Ned.....
Old Feb 28th 2011, 1:32 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by fledermaus
I misread your name as Mary and Ned.....
Maryl's a name so it could be Maryl and Ned
Old Feb 28th 2011, 2:46 pm
Dive Bar Drunk

Maryl's a name so it could be Maryl and Ned
That's actually what I thought???