Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

any info please

any info please

Old Oct 17th 2007, 12:50 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: any info please

Originally Posted by clairemarie70
thanks for your words of wisdom nova....i can speak english very well thanx i also have an a-level in the subject. the word rough was the only word at midnight i could think of. i would really appreciate it if anyone has anything sensible to say about the thread i sent..thanx all
Sorry, I'm out of touch with UK higher education. I'd forgotten that sentence structure, capitalization, spelling, punctuation and coherence were degree level subjects these days.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 12:59 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Sorry, I'm out of touch with UK higher education. I'd forgotten that sentence structure, capitalization, spelling, punctuation and coherence were degree level subjects these days.
They're not. Judging from what I saw of the degree-level Canadians I've had work under me, stuff like grammar isn't required until one does a doctorate.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 1:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

clynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to beholdclynnog is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Souvenir
They're not. Judging from what I saw of the degree-level Canadians I've had work under me, stuff like grammar isn't required until one does a doctorate.

When many people's only requirement to write down anything that is to be read by others is via text or email, then you can expect to see some pretty poor spelling, punctuation etc.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by clynnog
When many people's only requirement to write down anything that is to be read by others is via text or email, then you can expect to see some pretty poor spelling, punctuation etc.
I can understand sentence construction flying out of the window when someone communicates via text but why does a moving from a pen to a keyboard cause many to forget how to spell words?
Old Oct 17th 2007, 1:53 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Souvenir;
I can understand sentence construction flying out of the window when someone communicates via text but why does a moving from a pen to a keyboard cause many to forget how to spell words?
Good question. Especially since most pens don't have a spell-checker.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 2:02 pm

Good question. Especially since most pens don't have a spell-checker.
Especially.

I hate that word.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 2:11 pm
Born again atheist

Especially.

I hate that word.
??
Old Oct 17th 2007, 2:14 pm

??
Over-used and often wrongly.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 2:23 pm
Born again atheist

Over-used and often wrongly.
I shall be especially careful to use it especially selectively. Especially in the future.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 2:25 pm

I shall be especially careful to use it especially selectively. Especially in the future.
Don't get me going. I have several hours to kill until I check out.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 2:33 pm
Born again atheist

Don't get me going. I have several hours to kill until I check out.
OK. By the way, I know it's a while in the future, but are you likely to be in Ottawa in February? I'll be there for a week (third week I think) and it would be nice to have a beer (or gluehwein).
Old Oct 17th 2007, 2:40 pm

OK. By the way, I know it's a while in the future, but are you likely to be in Ottawa in February? I'll be there for a week (third week I think) and it would be nice to have a beer (or gluehwein).
I have no immediate plans to move house any time soon so I should be around. The last week will be out, though. My brother is coming over on the 25th. He has this insane notion of wanting to experience Ottawa in February. Stupid bastard.
Old Oct 17th 2007, 2:55 pm
Born again atheist

I have no immediate plans to move house any time soon so I should be around. The last week will be out, though. My brother is coming over on the 25th. He has this insane notion of wanting to experience Ottawa in February. Stupid bastard.
I'm not sure of the exact dates yet, but I'll give you a shout nearer to the time.

(God, your bro' is a thicko isn't he?)
Old Oct 17th 2007, 3:09 pm

I'm not sure of the exact dates yet, but I'll give you a shout nearer to the time.

(God, your bro' is a thicko isn't he?)
He is odd in that way. He wants to "feel" what cold is. He's got the Canada bug. Been here lots, wants to emigrate. Wife won't let him.