Reload this Page >

Any Bunac'ers out there? Past and Present

Any Bunac'ers out there? Past and Present

Old Jul 26th 2009, 4:07 pm
Account Closed

rachael88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any Bunac'ers out there? Past and Present

Hi there everyone,

Just wanted to know if theres any people out there that went on the Bunac program?

ive emailed the site people for some information but new this was the best place for inside info.

If i applied this December when would i be out in Canada?

Id like to stay in Ottawa whilst out there. Has anyone stayed there before? Ive heard its expensive, would i be able to support myself there? Would my chances of getting work out there whilst on the program be easier or harder?

Any other information/personal stories/pro's and con's would be great.

thanks

Rachael
Old Jul 26th 2009, 6:08 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any Bunac'ers out there? Past and Present

Originally Posted by rachael88
Hi there everyone,

Just wanted to know if theres any people out there that went on the Bunac program?

ive emailed the site people for some information but new this was the best place for inside info.

Id like to stay in Ottawa whilst out there. Has anyone stayed there before? Ive heard its expensive, would i be able to support myself there? Would my chances of getting work out there whilst on the program be easier or harder?

thanks

Rachael

Hi Rachael,

If you do a search of the forums you'll find loads of stories from those that have done Bunac, and also lots on the cost of living in Ottawa.

There was a recent thread where somebody also asked about experiences of others on Bunac, so hopefully that will come up.

Old Jul 26th 2009, 7:55 pm
Forum Regular

deeb81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there everyone,

thanks

Rachael
Hi Rachael

I'm heading to Toronto in September so currently job hunting - joy!!

As above, there are loads of threads about BUNAC so do a search and you'll find answers to most of your questions.

If you apply in December, I think you can enter Canada between February 2010 and the end of January 2011 or thereabouts.
Old Jul 27th 2009, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

snowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura about

Hey Rachael,

Myself and my partner are out here in Canada spent 4 months in Vancouver skiing over winter and are now working in Toronto and looking to extend our stay. So yeah we love it here. Not been to Ottawa yet but have heard it is very nice. To answer your questions if you apply in December and get everything done as quickly as possible you could probably be out in Canada by Feb. My advice would be to get your police check in a week or so before you apply so that it comes back quickly also have your passport photos and character reference ready to be sent off but make sure the reference is dated in the future (For example the week you intend applying) and is not from a family friend! If you have everything ready to go it should be turned around in about 6 weeks. The last thing you will need in order to get the visa issued is your proof of flights so with some planning you should be good.

In respect to finding a job you will need to give us an idea on what type of job you are talking about? Office work / store work/ professional? Do you intend having a chunk of saving etc etc. BUNAC will help you find a job via there job boards but it is always best to search yourself perhaps on craigslist.org.

All the best,

Tom & Laura.

Hi there everyone,

thanks

Rachael
Old Jul 27th 2009, 11:26 am
Account Closed

rachael88 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your reply....ill be looking for office work mainly.

I didnt realise everything happened so quick with the visas so i think ill apply next decemeber instead of this december as i want to save enough to make sure i have plenty of emergency money should i need it.

Did you find work easily when you went to Toronto?

Any info you could give me would be great

thanks

Rachael
Old Jul 27th 2009, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

snowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura aboutsnowboardboy has a spectacular aura about

Office or store work is perhaps easier to get than a professional job.

I landed a job very quickly arrived in Toronto on the Wednesday interviewed on the Thursday met the CEO on the Sunday and started work on the Monday BUT my job role is a bit of an exception to the rule I work in Software Engineering on mobile software so there is demand in this area.

That being said my OH is a marketing manager which was a job category struggling in Ontario when we arrived and she managed to land a role in just over a month. The biggest hurdle will be your lack of north American experience. Try not to over worry about things there is always work for those willing to WORK. I am sure it will go great. If you have any more questions just drop a note if I can't answer you (girly questions perhaps?) then I am sure my OH will be able to.

All the best,

Tom