Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Any advice on Vancouver?????

Any advice on Vancouver?????

Old Aug 31st 2007, 4:58 am
Just Joined

nav7 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Any advice on Vancouver?????

check out www.monster.ca

www.globeandmail.com

for job postings also www.bcjobs.ca

that should steer you in the right direction.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 8:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The Vancouver Suburbs... for the next few years anyway!
The TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud of

Hi Purple!

Hope I can provide you with a bit more info - some now and some in the coming months.

I'm a sponsorship/promotions/advertising producer and my other half is a DP/lighting cameraman and we're moving out on Oct 15th. I'm Canadian and he's British and we'd love to have a beer with you when you're over!

To be honest we are really having trouble with our industries - Vancouver is so much smaller than London so there are a lot less jobs (in fact a couple of the channels I spoke to didn't have Sponsorship & Promotions departments). Basically OH has been told there isn't really any alignment between the unions (and Vancouver is heavily unionised) so he would have to start as a camera assistant and work his way up. He's actually going to change careers anyways now but the difficulty in starting over was part of that decision.

The other thing is that in Vancouver getting a job is all about who you know. We're lucky that I still have friends over but getting a toe in the door can be very hard and something a lot of people struggle with. I don't want to be discouraging because its doable but you will have the double edge sword of having to get a job AND then getting your employer to sponsor you. I'm hoping to get a tv/marketing job within the first 3 - 4 months of being there so by the time you come over I should hopefully have more of an insight into the general work scene over there if it would help!

What dates are you over? Are you just checking it out or do you want to job hunt (most people get or take xmas off so it might be hard to see people).

Feel free to PM me if you have any further questions!

Emily
Old Sep 3rd 2007, 9:57 pm
Just Joined

leanne20 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey

I don't mean to hijack your topic, but I just wanted to say that all of your replies for this has been very helpful for me too, especially all of the links posted. I'm looking into going to Vancouver (through BUNAC) in 2009 after I finish university studying media production. Soooo thanks!

p.s - I'm new, Hi!
Old Sep 4th 2007, 2:47 am
Banned

Surrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond reputeSurrey Expat has a reputation beyond repute

We really want to get out of the London rat race and I would happily work as a landscape gardener or something there than 90 hours a week here!!

Are you serious about the Landscape Gardening? This industry has a severe labour shortage right now. The pay for labourer's is not at all bad by the horticultural industry standards, up to about $20-25 an hour in Vancouver, less in outlying areas. Higher for experienced skilled workers.

BC Landscape Association
www.bclna.com

One of the top landscapers working in and around Vancouver
www.blasig.com

This would be a bit of a change from what you are doing now.
Old Sep 5th 2007, 3:59 am
Forum Regular

Hudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really nice

For people coming to Vancouver I have come across an excellent realtor for Lower Mainland.
I have had quite a lot of dealings with numerous realtors. He is excellent and very honest. Contact Bob>>>
[email protected]
Old Sep 6th 2007, 1:30 pm
Banned

didikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Hudman
For people coming to Vancouver I have come across an excellent realtor for Lower Mainland.
I have had quite a lot of dealings with numerous realtors. He is excellent and very honest. Contact Bob>>>
[email protected]
And if you believe that you'll be able to knit fog.
Old Sep 6th 2007, 1:37 pm
Banned

didikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to alldidikai is a name known to all

Originally Posted by purpleindigo
Hello!

Bit of background: I am 34 and work in the music industry managing bands and artists, but have also worked as a professional photography in the past and my partner is 31 and works as a marketing manager for a TV station.

We really want to get out of the London rat race and I would happily work as a landscape gardener or something there than 90 hours a week here!!

Thank you in advance!
I have one daughter in the movie industry, one in movie / TV industry, and one in TV News.
One has already moved from Vancouver to Toronto, the other two will be following in the next two weeks.
I have one son who works in the music business. He has moved back to London.
The movie industry in Vancouver is dead.
The music business is a dead loss.

The only positive thing about Vancouver regarding your enquiry is that it is very easy to get started in jobs of choice here. But you can only reach a limited level before you have to go to a bigger city.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 3:04 am
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by didikai
I have one daughter in the movie industry, one in movie / TV industry, and one in TV News.
One has already moved from Vancouver to Toronto, the other two will be following in the next two weeks.
I have one son who works in the music business. He has moved back to London.
The movie industry in Vancouver is dead.
The music business is a dead loss.

The only positive thing about Vancouver regarding your enquiry is that it is very easy to get started in jobs of choice here. But you can only reach a limited level before you have to go to a bigger city.
My gosh I am shocked - the movie industry is very much alive and well in Vancouver, tons of work in all areas. You only have to walk through downtown on a lunch time to see how many movies are being shot at one time. I have no idea about the music business though.
Old Sep 7th 2007, 4:13 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by startwin
My gosh I am shocked - the movie industry is very much alive and well in Vancouver, tons of work in all areas. You only have to walk through downtown on a lunch time to see how many movies are being shot at one time. I have no idea about the music business though.
Don't pay too much attention to didikai, (s)he is clearly a troll:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/searc...earchid=950698
Old Sep 7th 2007, 4:36 am
Banned

Then perhaps you'll enlighten us all with the names of all the big movie produtions being filmed here, amd what big movies are going to be filmed here in the future.
The stuff you see being shot is low budget, straight to DVD stuff.

But then what do I know, my kids only worked on all the X-Men and Fantastic Four movies
Old Sep 7th 2007, 4:41 am
Banned

Originally Posted by bazzz
Don't pay too much attention to didikai, (s)he is clearly a troll:

http://britishexpats.com/forum/searc...earchid=950698
And seeing how many posts you have made in 6 months it is clear that you spend too much time on the computer and not enough time in the real world.
Old Sep 8th 2007, 3:53 am
Banned

startwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond reputestartwin has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by didikai
Then perhaps you'll enlighten us all with the names of all the big movie produtions being filmed here, amd what big movies are going to be filmed here in the future.
The stuff you see being shot is low budget, straight to DVD stuff.

But then what do I know, my kids only worked on all the X-Men and Fantastic Four movies
Whoopdedoo. Then they will be well aware that the same crews that worked on the Fantastic Four movies are damned busy right now, and with lots of work into the future.
Old Sep 8th 2007, 5:36 am
Banned

Whoopdedoo. Then they will be well aware that the same crews that worked on the Fantastic Four movies are damned busy right now, and with lots of work into the future.

I'll ask the same question. What are these big productions they are so busy with. And what are the future productions they will all be busy with?
btw, my cousin, Lee Cleary was 1st AD on all these movies.
You seem to know more than him.
Old Sep 8th 2007, 7:06 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: The Vancouver Suburbs... for the next few years anyway!
The TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud ofThe TWs has much to be proud of

This is what's shooting in Vancouver just this month...

FEATURES
LOST BOYS 2: THE TRIBE
HELEN
MULLIGANS
TALE OF TWO SISTERS
WATCHMEN, THE

MINI-SERIES
ANDROMEDA STRAIN, THE

MOVIE OF THE WEEK
ASHES TO ASHES
LOVE SICK
SECRET SOCIETY

TV SERIES
ALIENS IN AMERICA
BATTLESTAR GALACTICA:
SEASON 4
BIONIC WOMAN
FLASH GORDON
INTELLIGENCE ~ SEASON 2
JPOD
KAYA
KYLE XY - SEASON 2
THE L WORD ~ SEASON 5
MEN IN TREES ~ SEASON II
PSYCH - SEASON 2
REAPER
SMALLVILLE ~ SEASON 7
STARGATE ATLANTIS - SEASON IV
SUPERNATURAL ~ SEASON 3
Old Sep 8th 2007, 3:37 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by The TWs
This is what's shooting in Vancouver just this month...

FEATURES
LOST BOYS 2: THE TRIBE
HELEN
MULLIGANS
TALE OF TWO SISTERS
WATCHMEN, THE

MINI-SERIES
ANDROMEDA STRAIN, THE

MOVIE OF THE WEEK
ASHES TO ASHES
LOVE SICK
SECRET SOCIETY

TV SERIES
ALIENS IN AMERICA
BATTLESTAR GALACTICA:
SEASON 4
BIONIC WOMAN
FLASH GORDON
INTELLIGENCE ~ SEASON 2
JPOD
KAYA
KYLE XY - SEASON 2
THE L WORD ~ SEASON 5
MEN IN TREES ~ SEASON II
PSYCH - SEASON 2
REAPER
SMALLVILLE ~ SEASON 7
STARGATE ATLANTIS - SEASON IV
SUPERNATURAL ~ SEASON 3

Isn't Google a wonderful utility?
You live in London, but are an expert in the Vancouver movie industry?
So all these people (who we know first hand) who are suffering with no movie work here are all liying eh?
What a doughnut!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.