Reload this Page >

Any advice on Vancouver?????

Any advice on Vancouver?????

Old Jul 22nd 2007, 7:53 pm
Just Joined

purpleindigo is an unknown quantity at this point
Talking Any advice on Vancouver?????

Hello!

My partner and I are looking into moving to Vancouver in the next year or so and we are looking for as many snippets of info or advice as possible!

We are coming over at Christmas, from London, for a two week vacation so I will happily buy anyone a beer who helps me out

Advice on work, renting / buying a home, cars, lifestyle, food, cost of living, immigrating anything really would be appreciated!

Bit of background: I am 34 and work in the music industry managing bands and artists, but have also worked as a professional photography in the past and my partner is 31 and works as a marketing manager for a TV station.

We really want to get out of the London rat race and I would happily work as a landscape gardener or something there than 90 hours a week here!!

Thank you in advance!
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 8:32 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

High numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any advice on Vancouver?????

Originally Posted by purpleindigo
Hello!

My partner and I are looking into moving to Vancouver in the next year or so and we are looking for as many snippets of info or advice as possible!

We are coming over at Christmas, from London, for a two week vacation so I will happily buy anyone a beer who helps me out

Advice on work, renting / buying a home, cars, lifestyle, food, cost of living, immigrating anything really would be appreciated!

Bit of background: I am 34 and work in the music industry managing bands and artists, but have also worked as a professional photography in the past and my partner is 31 and works as a marketing manager for a TV station.

We really want to get out of the London rat race and I would happily work as a landscape gardener or something there than 90 hours a week here!!

Thank you in advance!
Welcome to the forum!

We to are hoping to make our way to live in Vancouver but its a big place with lots to offer. I am sure you will get a few pointers from people that live there.

Try the search function as many people (including me) have asked this question.

Good luck
Old Jul 22nd 2007, 8:49 pm
Now on Vancouver Island

Judy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond reputeJudy in Calgary has a reputation beyond repute

Brits2Vancouver is a wealth of information.
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 5:07 am
Forum Regular

Hudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really niceHudman is just really nice

Hello!

Thank you in advance!
Carefull what you wish for.. http://www.jimsmowing.ca/
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 5:39 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

What stage is your application at? You do realise you're looking at a 5+ year wait unless you get over here on a work permit or sort out arranged employment first, right?
Old Jul 23rd 2007, 6:59 am
Just Joined

Hi!

Thanks so far. We are looking at coming over on a working visa to start with, so hopefully that should take only around a year. We are also coming over to to look for work in advance.
Old Jul 24th 2007, 2:21 am
BE Enthusiast

fishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to beholdfishfinger is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Hudman
Carefull what you wish for.. http://www.jimsmowing.ca/
I couldn't get Jims mowing to come out my way and I would have paid anything to get them. Landscaping is a license to print money around here at the moment!
Old Jul 24th 2007, 9:32 am
Just Joined

Cool stuff!
Purpleindigo Landscaping it is then!
Old Jul 25th 2007, 12:04 am
Binned by Muderators

JonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond reputeJonboyE has a reputation beyond repute

Christmas is not the best time to see Vancouver. Although the temperature might be a bit warmer than London (no guarantees) it will most likely rain. You might not see the mountains for two weeks. This is a stunningly beautiful city but you will miss so much if the clouds are a few hundred feet above sea level.

Renting/buying a home is the expensive bit. You can get small apartments in the west end or kits (both decent neighborhoods) from about $1,200 per month – cheaper the further away you get from downtown. The vacancy rate is low so you will probably have to agree a one year contract to secure a place. Still, this gives you time to get to know the area and decide where you would really like to live. Buying a place will cost from $250,000 for a small townhouse (terraced house) in the outer ‘burbs up to whatever you can imagine. You can’t buy a detached house in a fair area for much less than $500,000. If you want to PM or email me I can give you a better breakdown of the cities in Greater Vancouver.

I don’t have much experience in the work areas you mention, but there is plenty of work out here. I find that this is a receptive place for people with a bit of gumption and get-up-and-go to make something for themselves

Food? To die for, especially if you like Asian cuisine.

Lifestyle. There is culture here. There is opera, ballet, art galleries, classical music, theater as well as well as jazz and a strong indie music scene. There are several festivals during the year, the best being a great international film festival. However, it’s not London. The wonderful aspect of living here is the outdoors. It is true you can ski in the morning and play golf in the afternoon. I work in the city but walk my dog on the beach each evening. You are never more than an hour away from wild back country. I could go on about this for pages and pages, but if you like doing things outdoors you will love living in Vancouver.

There are also professional football, soccer and baseball teams. If you live here you will soon learn to love the Canucks (hockey team) as, well, it is just part of being a Vancouverite.

Real estate apart, the cost of living is generally lower than the UK, especially London.

I will be very happy to share a beer with you when you come over and hopefully give you some helpful pointers.
Old Jul 25th 2007, 8:47 pm
Just Joined

JonBoy - thanks mate!

Workwise - I current manager DJ's and Bands and run a music PR company and my partner is a marketing manager for a TV station.

Whatcha think? Any chance?

Thanks again!
Old Jul 25th 2007, 9:28 pm
BE Forum Addict

Yoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond reputeYoong has a reputation beyond repute

Have a look at the movie industry here.
http://www.vancouver.hm/movie.html

Yoong
Old Jul 25th 2007, 9:36 pm
Just Joined

Nice one!

I'm gonna be buying a lot of beers when I come over!

Thanks to all for the advice so far - keep it coming!

Thank you!
Old Jul 25th 2007, 9:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

High numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond reputeHigh numbers has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one!

I'm gonna be buying a lot of beers when I come over!

Thanks to all for the advice so far - keep it coming!

Thank you!
Why not send your CV converted to a resume to the film companies and the media and see if you can get a job. Would help you get in quicker
Old Jul 25th 2007, 9:50 pm
Forum Regular

JimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really niceJimandNic is just really nice

Here's a list of local Vancouver TV stations/websites. You can check out their job postings online:

http://www.cbc.ca/television/
http://www.canada.com/globaltv/index.html
http://www.citytv.com/vancouver/
http://www.radio-canada.ca/regions/c...e-britannique/ (French speaking channel)
http://www.ctv9.ca/
http://www.channelm.ca/

Music industry-wise - the following website may help?

http://www.vancouverbands.com/resour...ctorymain.html

Best of luck

Nic
Old Jul 28th 2007, 8:20 am
Just Joined

You guys are so damn helpful - thank you!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.