Any advice?

Old Aug 29th 2008, 9:07 am
robjmitch74

robjmitch74 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Any advice?

Hi,

Facing a bit of a dilemma! After taking a recce trip to Calgary back at the beginning of August and both me and my partner being offered jobs we arrived home to put the house on the market with the aim to be out there by early NOvember.

Unfortunately, whilst my job offer was sent through my partner has been told that they have decided to employee someone who could be there sooner.

We are now left with the problem of going over there early November with only one job and a house that still hasnt sold!

Does anyone have any advice on whether it would be better for me to go over on my own and leave the other half here to sell the house and keep earning or for us to up sticks and move over there completely running the risk of having to pay rent in Canada, the UK mortgage on only one salary!

Any help much appreciated!

Rob
Old Aug 29th 2008, 9:42 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Any advice?

Could you rent your house here to cover the mortgage?? Might be worth looking into.

Also, how long is your LMO likely to take? Is that going to give you time to sell the house? And don't forget that your other half is eligible for an open work permit, so even if she has not yet got a job, hopefully she'd be able to find something quite quickly without going through all the hassle of LMO etc. So fingers crossed you'd both have a job before too long.

Good luck.

P.S. Congrats on the job offer!!

Last edited by christmasoompa; Aug 29th 2008 at 9:46 am.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 1:24 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
And don't forget that your other half is eligible for an open work permit, so even if she has not yet got a job, hopefully she'd be able to find something quite quickly without going through all the hassle of LMO etc.

Sorry, but this is wrong. Not all TWP entitle one's spouse to an open work permit. Granted, most do, but making such a blanket statement is misleading.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 1:33 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Sorry, but this is wrong. Not all TWP entitle one's spouse to an open work permit. Granted, most do, but making such a blanket statement is misleading.
Not, it's not wrong. I was referring to his specific situation and I remember from his previous posts that he's an accountant so his partner IS entitled to SOWP.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Aug 29th 2008 at 1:36 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 1:38 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Not, it's not wrong. I was referring to his specific situation and I remember from his previous posts that he's an accountant so his partner IS entitled to SOWP.
Ahh, but think about those that didn't know that as the original post doesn't mention it
Old Aug 29th 2008, 1:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Ahh, but think about those that didn't know that as the original post doesn't mention it
I replied specifically to him, and said 'your other half is eligible for an open work permit' - I don't think that's a 'blanket statement', it was a response aimed at a certain person.

I'm sure anybody reading it would realise that and look into it if they were unsure whether it applied to their own circumstances.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 2:06 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

I replied specifically to him, and said 'your other half is eligible for an open work permit' - I don't think that's a 'blanket statement', it was a response aimed at a certain person.

I'm sure anybody reading it would realise that and look into it if they were unsure whether it applied to their own circumstances.
The trouble is, most people don't.

I apologise unreservedly if I have caused you any offence, that wasn't the intention
Old Aug 29th 2008, 3:45 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

The trouble is, most people don't.

I apologise unreservedly if I have caused you any offence, that wasn't the intention
No offence caused at all, just trying to clarify that it wasn't a general statement, it was a response to one person specifically.

But perhaps I was being a bit optimistic assuming that everyone would realise that and do their own research..........past experience from some should have taught me differently!!
Old Aug 29th 2008, 3:48 pm
robjmitch74

robjmitch74 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for the replies.

The LMO should be sorted quite quickly. My start date for the new job is 10 November.

We have considered renting but would ideally like to take the capital out of the house as we would be looking to buy in Calgary reasonably quickly after arrival. I guess that is an ideal situation and if needs must then we would have to consider renting as well, however, our agents have been telling us that the rental market isn't much better!

The concern is that having been lucky enough to be offered a job that eventually didn't transpire I'm not sure how quickly my partner would be able to get a job once we land in November.

Rob
Old Aug 29th 2008, 5:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by robjmitch74
Thanks for the replies.

The LMO should be sorted quite quickly. My start date for the new job is 10 November.

We have considered renting but would ideally like to take the capital out of the house as we would be looking to buy in Calgary reasonably quickly after arrival. I guess that is an ideal situation and if needs must then we would have to consider renting as well, however, our agents have been telling us that the rental market isn't much better!

The concern is that having been lucky enough to be offered a job that eventually didn't transpire I'm not sure how quickly my partner would be able to get a job once we land in November.

Rob
Rob

If she was able to secure a job on a recce trip, I wouldn't imagine that she would have any difficulty in securing a job once she was actually over here.

The job market in Calgary hasn't really slowed to any noticeable degree and I would be very surprised if it took her much time at all to obtain a position.

I would say "Go for it"