Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Rental accomodation in toronto

Rental accomodation in toronto

Old Aug 29th 2008, 1:31 pm
Dorfus wafflebutt

littletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nice
Default Rental accomodation in toronto

Im heading out on a bunac in Jan, hopefully with a job already set up.
How quickly do people find somewhere to live and where do you stay meantime, im thinking the backpackers hostel would be a possible start.
Also is it possible to get a rental agreement sorted before i arrive, if so how easy is that to arrange?
Wont be travelling around so a 6-23 term would be fine

any ideas/experiences much appreciated
Karen
Old Aug 29th 2008, 1:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

YYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond reputeYYZlover has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Rental accomodation in toronto

www.toronto.craigslist.com

Google is your friend.

So is the wiki.

:-)
Old Aug 29th 2008, 2:49 pm
BE Enthusiast

lucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud oflucieg has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by littletwinkle46
Im heading out on a bunac in Jan, hopefully with a job already set up.
How quickly do people find somewhere to live and where do you stay meantime, im thinking the backpackers hostel would be a possible start.
Also is it possible to get a rental agreement sorted before i arrive, if so how easy is that to arrange?
Wont be travelling around so a 6-23 term would be fine

any ideas/experiences much appreciated
Karen
Hi,

When I was out there a few years ago we found an apartment within a week...craigslist is definitely your friend plus the swap office will know of people wanting to share if you didn't want to get your own place.

I'd say it'd be pretty difficult organising somewhere before you go as often they want to see an employment letter and/or credit checks. Last time I had to prove I had enough money in my bank account to pay my rent for 6 months if I didn't get a job.

I stayed at the global backpackers for the first few nights...if I were you I'd avoid it, it's not as nice as some of the other places. Canadiana was much better.

Let me know if you have any other questions about TO...immigration stuff I can't do but this stuff I can
Old Aug 29th 2008, 5:47 pm
Islander

windward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to allwindward is a name known to all

Craigslist is the way forward.

Normally it's the bigger buildings that want serious credit checks/references from you, if someone's renting you their spare bedroom/floor they'll normally accept some post-dated cheques.

www.viewit.ca is another one to try if you're still struggling, if you want advice on areas etc. post away
Old Aug 29th 2008, 5:50 pm

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point

Yeah, I'd definitely not sign up for anything until you're there on the ground. There's pretty limited information you can get from internet postings and research.
Old Aug 29th 2008, 5:53 pm
Dorfus wafflebutt

littletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nicelittletwinkle46 is just really nice

ok thanks everyone.
I have family who are now moving to brooklin, hence im having to find somewhere quicker,
any thoughts on commuting from there for a couple of weeks before i find something.
Ive looked at the transit website and it looks doable.

Karen