Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Another let down!!

Another let down!!

Old Sep 28th 2005, 7:28 am
Forum Regular

Daveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud ofDaveyboy_The_Red has much to be proud of
Default Re: Another let down!!

Originally Posted by 1066
You are obviously on some sort of a mission here, so it would be pointless to tell you that you are wrong.

If the property in Alberta is such a brilliant investment, why not take your money out of the bank, and buy an investment property in Alberta - or don't you intend to stay /

i guess because the value of his money has dropped by 15-20% with a falling currency rate!!

probably would have been better off leaving it tied up in london real estate!!!
Old Sep 28th 2005, 7:33 am
Happily hungover

1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Daveyboy_The_Red
i guess because the value of his money has dropped by 15-20% with a falling currency rate!!

OOOhh!! Thats nasty!!!
Old Sep 28th 2005, 8:22 am

g_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud ofg_is_for_canada has much to be proud of

[QUOTE=andy_sheila][QUOTE=Daveyboy_The_Red
i wouldn't have called you a snob... something quite different..

Me too, foul mouthed for one. There's no need for it. You may be bitter and twisted but there's no need for such bad language.[/QUOTE]

Well I think I have every right to be
Old Sep 28th 2005, 10:25 am
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=g_is_for_canada]
Originally Posted by andy_sheila

Well I think I have every right to be
No you don't. You can get your point across without having to resort to that kind of language. i have read a couple of your posts today and you have made some very good and valid points without swearing so it can be done.
I am probably the least prudish and/or straight laced person that reads these posts but even i don't like to read obscenities.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 12:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by g_is_for_canada
By the way, it was the government that crashed the housing market very successfully. Anyone who voted for them should think carefully about this.

Before anyone counters this with any stories about Thatcher, she did not. The public caused the crash on their own in the late 80s, with their "I'm invincible" attitude. Ok I'm a snob - it's thickos playing with something they don't understand.

Thankfully for me and my conscience, I didn't vote this latest criminal government in, so I shall sleep at night.
Dear Sir, I read this piece and feel I must counter!
When Thatcher gained power, she responded to the wishes of the nation by forcing the dinosaur unions to change, that part was good. Then she got drunk with power and went onto sell the "family jewels" under the guise of smashing and killing off workers representation in an effort to take us all back to early Victorian industrial relation practices.
Our industries were led by persons of her and her husbands click, who failed to modernise, for example when the Japanese arrived in the car and electronics industry, they still hankered after the old days, when workers would "doff" their caps to the management every morning, there was no profits reinvestment, even when Thatcher broke up BR, the so called "private" rail companies received fat subsidies, so the railway was and is always requiring subs. This all happened after the unions were smashed, so it`s down to management. The "family Jewels" were the ship building industry, aerospace, cars, even the utilities were steered to any bugger who was based where the unions were dead or dieing around the world. Thatcher`s vision was to re-instate the gentry!
The only credit I give her, is on the international seen.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 12:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

steve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to allsteve of 5-0 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Happydayz
Just wanted to get this off my chest...Having sold our house here in the UK back in may...ready to complete and head off to N.S in Aug we found that our buyers had just been having a bit of a laugh and pulled out 2 days before completion!! not the first time they had done it ( we found out) and wont be the last I'm sure...but we put the place back on the market waiting and along came buyer No:2...Great....packing away again...give up work again, ready off for the off again.....No turns out this buyer has told a little fib, and cant get a mortgage, and so has put us back where we started...looking for a buyer!!!!!! when will the law change and protect the UK sellers....in Scotland I believe this doesn't happen ( correct me if I'm wrong!!!) and having gone through the process of buying our home in N.S, it was show me the money or the place stays on the market as it should be .....so sorry to moan but a little red wine and the thought of having to get the place ready for viewers instead of the removal van is a little soul destroying....never mind what will be will be eh! still if a few ex-pats out there could keep em crossed for us that would be great
And now gettin` back to the original post -

You have my sympathies in that matter -
When you do get to Canada, you will find that if ever you sell a place, it will not be like that experience. The legal structure here, re. selling and buying is such, that it can`t happen so unfairly!
Old Sep 28th 2005, 12:56 pm
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

You are obviously on some sort of a mission here, so it would be pointless to tell you that you are wrong.

If the property in Alberta is such a brilliant investment, why not take your money out of the bank, and buy an investment property in Alberta - or don't you intend to stay /
Pointless because I'm not wrong, wait and see.

We have plenty of cash invested in real estate here thanks.
Old Sep 28th 2005, 1:13 pm
Happily hungover

1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute1066 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CalgaryBlade
Pointless because I'm not wrong, wait and see.

We have plenty of cash invested in real estate here thanks.

Good for you.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 1:49 am
Cowtown

Good for you.
Don't be too jealous ... he spends a fortune on Evian just to flush the bog ...

Old Sep 29th 2005, 2:40 am
BE Enthusiast

CalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to allCalgaryBlade is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Daveyboy_The_Red

What are you talking about? What value has dropped 15-20%

We sold a house and got GBP. We put x amount of GBP in the bank, now we have x + interest of GBP in the bank. Where's the loss?

If you're talking about the GBP vs CAD rate well that only comes into play if we were to convert it. As we're getting almost double the interest rate in the UK than we would get here, we are not about to do this anytime soon.

Plus tax-wise it has its advantages keeping funds "offshore".
Old Sep 29th 2005, 3:07 am
Cowtown

What are you talking about? What value has dropped 15-20%

We sold a house and got GBP. We put x amount of GBP in the bank, now we have x + interest of GBP in the bank. Where's the loss?

If you're talking about the GBP vs CAD rate well that only comes into play if we were to convert it. As we're getting almost double the interest rate in the UK than we would get here, we are not about to do this anytime soon.

Plus tax-wise it has its advantages keeping funds "offshore".
Have you ever noticed the question at the top of page 2 of your T1 and wondered what it was all about?

Old Sep 29th 2005, 12:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Cowtown
Have you ever noticed the question at the top of page 2 of your T1 and wondered what it was all about?
Avoidance - Okay

Evasion - Not okay

In answer to your question though, I might have seen it. All our tax stuff is handled by a tax accoutant who deals with landed immigrants.

Revenue Canada know about every penny or cent we have in the world.

Last edited by CalgaryBlade; Sep 29th 2005 at 1:32 pm.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 1:20 pm
Love it

chinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nice

There's still plenty of people with plenty of money and come April 2006 you can buy residential property and stick it into your SIPP. Some properties will be very very attractive for that so the market could pick up nicely during next April onwards.

When people are desperate to move to another country but can't because of properties not selling, I don't see why they don't pack up and go. Rent your property out in the uk and rent in the country you are going to. Wait and see how the market goes and then decide to try to sell your UK property as an investment - with tenants or give them notice and sell it with vacant possession.

Whilst the English way of buying and selling houses is highly annoying and people can really mess you about, its all of question of how badly to you want your new life in my opinion. Drop your asking price significantly but only to complete by X date or the deal is off - don't be desperate or tell people you are leaving the UK or go now and rent your houses out. If I could move to Canada now with my visa all sorted I'd be off like a shot and our house rented out.

Just my 2p worth.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 1:45 pm
Cowtown

Avoidance - Okay

Evasion - Not okay.
True - but many people dont understand the difference (including some tax professionals).

In answer to your question though, I might have seen it. All our tax stuff is handled by a tax accoutant who deals with landed immigrants.

Revenue Canada know about every penny or cent we have in the world.
Then you should be on the right side of the line (in theory).