Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Driving - rules web site?

Driving - rules web site?

Old Sep 29th 2005, 11:26 am
Love it

chinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nice
Default Driving - rules web site?

Hi,

Is there any site where I can view driving instructions? I know I should have checked it all out first before driving last time, but a couple of things caught me out which I didnt know about.

Such as, what are you supposed to do at a crossroads where there is an amber light in the middle of the junction which is flashing? There was no stop sign as far as I remember.

What are the rules for turning right on a red light? Most of the time people seem to do it but I was behind a few cars a couple of times which waited until green.

Many thanks,
CB
Old Sep 29th 2005, 11:44 am
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Driving - rules web site?

[QUOTE=chinnybloke]Hi,

Is there any site where I can view driving instructions? I know I should have checked it all out first before driving last time, but a couple of things caught me out which I didnt know about.

Such as, what are you supposed to do at a crossroads where there is an amber light in the middle of the junction which is flashing? There was no stop sign as far as I remember.

What are the rules for turning right on a red light? Most of the time people seem to do it but I was behind a few cars a couple of times which waited until green.

Many thanks,

The Amber light you mention means that you can proceed but exercise caution (ie look )
You can turn right on red if theres nothing coming and you have come to a complete stop 1st (they are hot on coming to a complete stop) This isn't applicable everywhere tough.
There's no website that i know of but i'll look on the NS government site.
HTH
Old Sep 29th 2005, 11:46 am
Love it

chinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nicechinnybloke is just really nice

Originally Posted by andy_sheila
The Amber light you mention means that you can proceed but exercise caution (ie look )
You can turn right on red if theres nothing coming and you have come to a complete stop 1st (they are hot on coming to a complete stop) This isn't applicable everywhere tough.
There's no website that i know of but i'll look on the NS government site.
HTH
Many thanks. Hopefully going back soon and I might get a car again to look at some houses so I thought it best to ask.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 12:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

cov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to beholdcov-canuck is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by chinnybloke
Hi,

Many thanks,
CB
What province are you looking at? Try the following for Ontario.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/handbook/
Old Sep 29th 2005, 12:07 pm
Love it

Originally Posted by cov-canuck
What province are you looking at? Try the following for Ontario.

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/dandv/driver/handbook/
Excellent. Thanks for that. We're hoping to move to NS.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 1:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Snave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by chinnybloke
Hi,

Many thanks,
CB
Not sure about other provinces, but you CAN turn right on red in Ontario unless there's a sign to the contrary, but you CAN'T turn right on red in Quebec. As we live in Ottawa but pop across to Hull quite often there's always that heart-stopping moment at pole-position of a red light where we say "Quick! Where are we?"
Old Sep 29th 2005, 1:29 pm

Souvenir is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Snave
Not sure about other provinces, but you CAN turn right on red in Ontario unless there's a sign to the contrary, but you CAN'T turn right on red in Quebec. As we live in Ottawa but pop across to Hull quite often there's always that heart-stopping moment at pole-position of a red light where we say "Quick! Where are we?"
Er, yes you can turn right on a red in much of Quebec. There are some junctions where signs prohibit it, and I believe that it's completely banned in Montreal, but elsewhere (in Gatineau anyway), it's allowed.

You can also do it in Arizona, as we have just discovered.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Snave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to beholdSnave is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Er, yes you can turn right on a red in much of Quebec. There are some junctions where signs prohibit it, and I believe that it's completely banned in Montreal, but elsewhere (in Gatineau anyway), it's allowed.
OK - that overturns everything I've been told!!! Especially as Gatineau (AKA Hull) is the only place in Quebec I'm likely to be.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 1:54 pm
Nova Scotian

BH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant futureBH PNP has a brilliant future

Hi Chinny

I don't believe there is anything on-line but you can buy the book from Access Nova Scotia when you come over. You'll probably need it anyway for your driving test.

If your worried, drop me a PM and I try and sort out getting you the book sent over to the UK.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 1:59 pm
Love it

Originally Posted by BH PNP
Hi Chinny

I don't believe there is anything on-line but you can buy the book from Access Nova Scotia when you come over. You'll probably need it anyway for your driving test.

If your worried, drop me a PM and I try and sort out getting you the book sent over to the UK.
Hi Brian,

I should be over soon (I hope - everything crossed), had some twists and turns with our PNP app. My wife starting panicing over the fees and wanted to go Skilled Worker for a while. The application is now in though and just waiting to see if I am offered an interview. Im hoping to be out before the end of October because the Zoom flights from Glasgow finish then.

Cheers,
CB
Old Sep 29th 2005, 2:27 pm

Originally Posted by Snave
OK - that overturns everything I've been told!!! Especially as Gatineau (AKA Hull) is the only place in Quebec I'm likely to be.
I think people have just made a generalisation based on what they have seen in Montreal.

Hull, by the way, is not a city but an area. Several years ago, the seperate municipalities of Aylmer, Hull, Gatineau, Buckingham and Masson-Angers were amalgamated and became one city, known as Gatineau. I imagine that most people still identify themselves as coming from Hull, Gatineau etc.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 3:07 pm
sticky beaking

R2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to beholdR2D2 is a splendid one to behold

Look out for the 3 or 4 way stops aswell. Its just a crossroads and whichever vehicle is there first, proceeds first. The very first time we ever came to Canada, we didn't have a clue what to do , so sat there like lemons for a couple of seconds.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 3:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

NessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond reputeNessieOggy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by R2D2
Look out for the 3 or 4 way stops aswell. Its just a crossroads and whichever vehicle is there first, proceeds first. The very first time we ever came to Canada, we didn't have a clue what to do , so sat there like lemons for a couple of seconds.
Just a tip... if you come to a 4 way stop and you arrive at the same time as another vehicle... the vehicle to the right will go first.

Cheers

Oggy
Old Sep 29th 2005, 3:52 pm

Originally Posted by NessieOggy
Just a tip... if you come to a 4 way stop and you arrive at the same time as another vehicle... the vehicle to the right will go first.

Cheers

Oggy
Another tip. Never confuse a 3-way with 4-way. Mere hours after arriving in Canada, we nearly met our maker when my wife mistook a 3-way for a 4-way and we were almost T-boned by a large 4x4 moving at speed.

His skid marks are probably still there. Mine came out in the wash.
Old Sep 29th 2005, 3:56 pm
Love it

Originally Posted by Souvenir
Another tip. Never confuse a 3-way with 4-way. Mere hours after arriving in Canada, we nearly met our maker when my wife mistook a 3-way for a 4-way and we were almost T-boned by a large 4x4 moving at speed.

His skid marks are probably still there. Mine came out in the wash.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.