Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Another E-petition gets almost the same negative response

Wikiposts

Another E-petition gets almost the same negative response

Old Aug 13th 2008, 8:55 am

bazzz is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Another E-petition gets almost the same negative response

And of course, there's absolutely no incentive whatsoever for the government do anything anyway.
Old Aug 13th 2008, 9:14 am
Lowering the tone

Jingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond reputeJingsamichty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bazzz
And of course, there's absolutely no incentive whatsoever for the government do anything anyway.
Quite.

Although, as others have said, by continuing to point out the inequality of it, the completely predictable outcome is that the index-linking will be stopped everywhere else. And rightly so.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 12:23 pm

jancal is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Jingsamichty
Quite.

Although, as others have said, by continuing to point out the inequality of it, the completely predictable outcome is that the index-linking will be stopped everywhere else. And rightly so.
I have to say I wonder about the opinions of some of the participants to the BE forum. Why shouldn’t we get the same deal as everyone else living abroad. My husband and me left the UK because at the time my husband could not get a job. So as not to be a drain he accepted a job in Calgary and we were brought out to Canada in record time. Luckily Canada has been very good to us and we are still here.

We are older than most immigrants and therefore have worked and paid into the system in the UK for some years. I imagine that those who tell us that we should suck it up and not complain have nothing to gain from being treated fairly. We do not have time to build up a Canadian pension and therefore our UK pension will be all or the most we can claim.

Anyway that’s my opinion and I shall be joining any pension campaigns in Canada that I can find now.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 12:53 pm
Analyst for hire

Ben W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond reputeBen W Bell has a reputation beyond repute

The only thing any of these complaints will achieve is the UK government admitting that you have a point. And then ending index linking for everyone who lives outside the UK.
Old Aug 14th 2008, 1:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

flashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond reputeflashman has a reputation beyond repute

That's not how state pensions work, is it? It's not invested money as such, it's just paid out of general taxation.
"A Ponzi scheme is a fraudulent investment operation that involves promising or paying abnormally high returns ("profits") to investors out of the money paid in by subsequent investors, rather than from net revenues generated by any real business."
Old Aug 14th 2008, 1:23 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Other than another embarrassing ruling that the UK is discriminating unfairly or acting unlawfully when the UK gov thinks it's not. The ruling will be added to the others that had to be acted upon, some of which include:
  • Equalising pension age which it's now doing
  • Ending sex discrimination with widows/widowers benefits which it's already had to do
  • Changing rules regarding habitual residency
  • Capitalisation rules for Income Tax - Taxes had to be repaid
  • Illegal tax on chocolate teacakes - taxes to be refunded
  • The latest one (from the UN this time) about libel laws.

The problem is that 'human rights' keeps getting a mention. I don't know if this is a technicality involving the appropriate ruling body's name or what. IMO it's not a human rights issue, merely a simple discrimination issue.

I knew my pension would be frozen when I decided to move to Canada. I don't understand why that somehow means I have to accept the discrimination without complaining.

Rules and laws are constantly changing. That happens because people push for change. Nobody tells you to just accept them because those are the rules. Why do some people do that on this topic?
Old Aug 18th 2008, 3:58 pm
Just Joined

BWelford will become famous soon enough

For those who found the Pensions Parity UK website somewhat underwhelming, you may wish to go and check it out again. The Webmaster has made some major styling improvements and it's now very easy to find a great deal of important information.

Those who care enough to take some action will find this resource particularly useful.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 3:05 am
Just Joined

BWelford will become famous soon enough

Today we have a response to another 10 Downing Street e-petition from New Zealand. The nay-sayers will not be surprised to hear its the same old, same old. At least the bureaucrats managed to copy and paste their old response without error this time.

In summary, the government is saying we will only do what we have accepted as our legal obligations in the past. We will not reconsider whether moral or logical considerations should suggest that we change the law.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 3:08 am
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

Oh please for the love of [a random] god give it up.

Some us have lives.

R.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 4:03 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rich_007
Oh please for the love of [a random] god give it up.

Some us have lives.

R.
Thats right Rich SOME of us. Others just like to bleat on about how unfair life is
Old Aug 20th 2008, 4:19 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
Thats right Rich SOME of us. Others just like to bleat on about how unfair life is

Yeah it really sucks!!!!!

But then you deal with it and move on.
Old Aug 20th 2008, 4:23 pm
Banned

Butch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond reputeButch Cassidy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Yeah it really sucks!!!!!

But then you deal with it and move on.
Quiet you

Yeah I know what you're getting at and if ANYONE had the right to moan and whinge you do. BUT (with the EXTREMELY RARE exception) I never hear you complain. (well not about the way life treats you).

BTW any word from the butchers??
Old Aug 20th 2008, 4:27 pm
Lotus-eater

Rich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond reputeRich_007 has a reputation beyond repute

This is just so 'whiningly British'. It should say "I'm an overprivelidged entitlement whore":

Old Aug 21st 2008, 2:20 am

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Quiet you

BTW any word from the butchers??

Not a dickie bird.

Not even from the pokers and prodders.
Old Aug 21st 2008, 6:25 am
Forum Regular

Sjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to allSjt53 is a name known to all

[QUOTE=Jingsamichty;6676696][QUOTE=BWelford;6676568]Meanwhile 10 Downing Street is now Twittering, another attention-getting activity to take them away from the real priorities.

Man, you gotta love single-issue fanatics!

If I were PM I'd offer to give the index-linked rise to everyone, but only on the proviso that they collect their pensions in person at a UK Post Office every Tuesday morning.

Otherwise shut the f*** up and be grateful you're able to collect anything. It's more than most of us who are still years off pension age will ever get.
Ok he may be going on a bit and I'm also not totally convinced that we deserve it once we leave the sinking ship. BUT you can't deny his point, WTF do non commonwealth countries get treated differently. Our friends who moved to the states over 30years ago, were tracked down by the pensions agency and offered the full pension despite no contributions since and certainly no need of it. So might I humbly suggest that you stick to constructive comment on a subject that may be relevant to quite a few people on here. We may not all be rich and young and hansom. I'm only two of those myself.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.