Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Annual Leave in Canada

Annual Leave in Canada

Old Mar 7th 2012, 1:53 pm
The Brit is back

Lorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond reputeLorry1 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Annual Leave in Canada

If you are senior you can often negotiate holiday at the interview stage. Don't expect to receive 4 weeks if you are stacking shelves in Superstore

Hubby negotiated 4 weeks holiday in his first interview 3 days after we landed here. He negotiated 4 weeks in his second job but opted for 3 weeks in his third job but with a higher salary. He has now been there a year and his holiday has gone up to 4 weeks.

I work in travel and get paid hourly so save up my holiday time. I am lucky though as I can go away unpaid if I wish as it's my job to travel.

Some people receive their first 2 weeks vacation after a year employment. Then that allowance increases after several years. You could be reciving 4 weeks after 20 years service!
Old Mar 7th 2012, 2:08 pm
BE Forum Addict

gryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond reputegryphea has a reputation beyond repute

Just wanted to echo AC's experience of calgary. its been ours too.

Two of us working. Both get 4 weeks plus a few more stats than the UK. I get to bank time, meaning if I do an hours extra work, I either get it paid out or can take it as extra leave.

We are encouraged to take leave and have a balanced life. Work with a lot of expats from all over the world, many take long breaks to go back to their country.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 2:14 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tony-the-Tigger
The work ethos in Canada is vastly different to the UK. It's a real body blow for most. Many workers are given their holiday pay at the start of the financial year and then find themselves having to battle to get time off when they want it. It's also near impossible for most, not to spend their holiday pay immediately. I worked with some lads who had never taken a vacation, effectively being paid for 55 weeks of the year. On top of this, a basic week was 44 hours, overtime didn't start until you achieved those hours. 54 to 60 hours was a fairly normal working week for most. I always laugh when people tell me that they think Canada is more laid back and family orientated. There's a strong, financial betterment, drive in Ontario which I think is brought on by high immigration numbers. Many immigrants from outwith the so called developed world have never had holiday pay or time off and would happily work a minutes silence if they could. Work IS their life and it's hard to keep up appearances when along side them. In many ways, a similar thing has happened in the UK, where Eastern Europeans have replaced many natives due to their work ethic.
While this may have been the norm for a certain industry that you encounted, I'd hardly say it's the norm and certainly not in line with labour law here in BC.

I do agree with the nature of holiday pay though with some companies, although mine works the same as it did in the UK. My mrs gets an extra percentage on her biweekly cheques for holiday pay.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 2:20 pm
Just Joined

allyincanada will become famous soon enoughallyincanada will become famous soon enough

Very true what Tony the Tigger said about it being laughable when people claim Canada is so laid back and family orientated. Hubby and I emigrated to Ontario 10 years ago. At first I enjoyed the adventure and exploring our new home. Now we have three young children and certain attitudes are causing me to want to go back to the UK. We have managed to build up our annual leave entitlement however, due to the demands of a young family, I would love to work part time at my job, especially as we don't have any family here to help out. I have spoken to some people here and they look genuinely bewildered at the very idea of it. The usual reply is "put the kids in daycare or get a nanny". Financially it wouldnt be worth me going to work if i had my children in daycare. I guess I could try and find a part time job somewhere, but it really frustrates me that there is no flexibility and some businesses here have no interest in retaining their employees. I know it isn't the UK but it is a shame that flexi hours, job sharing and part time work doesn't seem to exist here. It would give families many more options. Anyway I will shortly be submitting a request for a leave of absence (which is known as a career break in the UK). Wish me luck
Old Mar 7th 2012, 2:27 pm
Banned

Boy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond reputeBoy d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by matt_t
2 weeks i've heard alot of people say. It's going to kill me after having 6 weeks in the UK.
Holiday entitlement here tends to be seniorty based. 2 weeks is the min by law, although I'd guess that 3 is the norm. As noted, it will come down to industry standards and negotiation, although i wouldn't expect much with entry level work.

I started on 3 weeks, but 13 years later get 5 weeks, 11 stats (goes to 12 next year) and 2 weeks for standby so a total of almost 9 weeks. Many companies also have sick days or professional days, which they are encouraged to take like leave. Could never understand why they just did'nt lump it in with the leave. Most companies also allow overtime to be converted to banked leave. I did this and have something like 15 weeks of leave in my bank that i can transfer over into the next year.

I also find that in general that there is more flexability here in the work place. People leaving early or doing errands during the work day or coming a little late with out much hassle....again, will depend.

Not as bad as it first appears, but be prepared for an adjustment, at least for the first 5 years or so.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 2:30 pm
Just Joined

nevmac is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for your responses. I'm trying to push for more and as I've been with the company for several years I hope they may be budge!
Old Mar 7th 2012, 2:31 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by allyincanada
Very true what Tony the Tigger said about it being laughable when people claim Canada is so laid back and family orientated. Hubby and I emigrated to Ontario 10 years ago. At first I enjoyed the adventure and exploring our new home. Now we have three young children and certain attitudes are causing me to want to go back to the UK. We have managed to build up our annual leave entitlement however, due to the demands of a young family, I would love to work part time at my job, especially as we don't have any family here to help out. I have spoken to some people here and they look genuinely bewildered at the very idea of it. The usual reply is "put the kids in daycare or get a nanny". Financially it wouldnt be worth me going to work if i had my children in daycare. I guess I could try and find a part time job somewhere, but it really frustrates me that there is no flexibility and some businesses here have no interest in retaining their employees. I know it isn't the UK but it is a shame that flexi hours, job sharing and part time work doesn't seem to exist here. It would give families many more options. Anyway I will shortly be submitting a request for a leave of absence (which is known as a career break in the UK). Wish me luck
that surprises me. Many new moms do job share where i work and can even adjust their shifts around child care. My wife has tons of flexability and works casual. Sometimes working full weeks, but usually only working 3 days. Her employer seems very flexible, although they expect the same from her too.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 2:34 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by allyincanada
Financially it wouldnt be worth me going to work if i had my children in daycare.
Actually, the tax breaks on child care are pretty good. I can think of other (ideological / social) reasons to avoid putting kids in daycare, but financially you wouldnt hurt too much as long as both of you are working.

I guess how flexible and accommodating an employer is depends on seniority and job responsibilities. Tim Hortons can do it, but for management types its probably more trouble than its worth to a business.

Ive adjusted to less holiday, and I dont really take a solid 2 week chunk like I may have in the UK, but for me the overall lifestyle / lack of stress I have here means its worth it overall, I guess that in the UK I needed to get away from it all to deal with the other shit, and here I dont feel the same way. That and the fact I cant afford $5k to take the family somewhere nice overseas for two weeks anyway

To the OP I would say this, negotiate as much as you can now while they are hiring you and you have a decent negotiating position, its a lot harder to increase allowances once they have you signed on as an employee!

Last edited by iaink; Mar 7th 2012 at 2:53 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 2:43 pm
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Boy d
that surprises me. Many new moms do job share where i work and can even adjust their shifts around child care. My wife has tons of flexability and works casual. Sometimes working full weeks, but usually only working 3 days. Her employer seems very flexible, although they expect the same from her too.
I've noticed the differences in working for Public Sector and Private, through my friends. The former are entitled to way more.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 3:16 pm
Banned

Originally Posted by el_richo
I've noticed the differences in working for Public Sector and Private, through my friends. The former are entitled to way more.
I wouldn't argue with that. Federal government work is pretty generous, especially when i compare to when i worked in the private sector here. Wages are typically lower though when compared like for like, although I have no complaints and can retire in 7 years with pentaly or on full pension in 11 years
Old Mar 7th 2012, 3:18 pm
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute

I started work in Ontario last November and originally they wanted to give me 2 weeks but I managed to get 3 weeks + stat days (no Easter Monday though).

What I didn't realise was that the holidays are from July to June so when I tried to take 3 days off just before Christmas to go home to the UK to my wife and kids they said I didn't have any holidays until July this year !!

I obviously told them to stick it as I was going anwyay and it was their choice what they did. They ended up giving me a day unpaid and said take the other 2 - generous eh ....

I'm going to be taking 2 weeks around June time frame to go home for a week, prepare to move the family here and then a week off here with the family. They have said they will 'borrow' them from my allowance from July so basically from July 2012 - June 2013 I'll have a week left.

Last edited by Animal; Mar 7th 2012 at 3:21 pm. Reason: typo in dates
Old Mar 7th 2012, 3:24 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Animal
so basically from July 2012 - June 2013 I'll have a week left.
And you will maybe need a couple of those days to cover the gap between Xmas and New Year...
Old Mar 7th 2012, 3:43 pm
Forum Regular

Tony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Boy d
While this may have been the norm for a certain industry that you encounted, I'd hardly say it's the norm and certainly not in line with labour law here in BC.

I do agree with the nature of holiday pay though with some companies, although mine works the same as it did in the UK. My mrs gets an extra percentage on her biweekly cheques for holiday pay.
I bet you this applies to many workers in Canada. I'm not talking about the $150,000 salary jobs, it happens to many regular Joe's especially unskilled ones. Many of the expats I knew were in a similar situation. The 44 hour week, for me, is a scandal. But, hey ho, I got used to it. Just had to get up half an hour before I went to bed!
Old Mar 7th 2012, 3:45 pm
I said what ?!

Animal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond reputeAnimal has a reputation beyond repute

They have a 'floting Holiday' on Dec 27 & 31st and 'make-up' day on Dec 28th that don't come out of my 3 weeks so clear on that side.

As said in a previous post they are pretty good if you need to leave a bit early or come in a bit late etc. But all the jobs I've had in the UK were like that too.

Either that or it's just my attitude of my job gets done, I put the hours in when necessary and if I want to leave a couple of hours easrly - I will do !

We also finish at 1pm on a Friday.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 3:47 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Animal
They have a 'floting Holiday' on Dec 27 & 31st and 'make-up' day on Dec 28th that don't come out of my 3 weeks so clear on that side.
My "make up day" means I have to cover it, either from vacation, or working extra hours... For me the 28th and 31st are both make up days this year... only the one "freeby" floater.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.