Reload this Page >

Annual Leave in Canada

Annual Leave in Canada

Old Mar 7th 2012, 8:31 am
Just Joined

nevmac is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Annual Leave in Canada

Hi,

What is the average amount of annual leave in Canada.
I've heard its considerably lower than the uk?

Thanks
Old Mar 7th 2012, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

matt_t is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Annual Leave in Canada

2 weeks i've heard alot of people say. It's going to kill me after having 6 weeks in the UK.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 8:56 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

If in doubt, consult the Wiki - http://britishexpats.com/wiki/Annual_Leave-Canada
Old Mar 7th 2012, 9:11 am
Just Joined

nevmac is an unknown quantity at this point

thank you. not a lot in comparison to the uk then!!
Old Mar 7th 2012, 9:31 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nevmac
thank you. not a lot in comparison to the uk then!!
Nope. It does depend on the job and seniority though, some have to work a year with no holiday before even getting 10 days, others will easily get the same allowance as they do in the UK if they're senior enough to negotiate it.

Old Mar 7th 2012, 9:56 am
BE Forum Addict

nldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond reputenldfc has a reputation beyond repute

Negotiate your vacation entitlement at the interview stage when they ask what you are looking for - We normally start at 2 weeks plus stats (negotiable to a certain extent) for a newish guy to the industry but if we are looking at an experienced guy we are trying to poach from someone else then we may put 4 weeks plus stats on the table right at the start of the process
Old Mar 7th 2012, 10:26 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

It's worth noting though that taking vacation is a "career limiting move". It's not usual, at least not in the businesses where I've worked, to take all of those two weeks.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 11:17 am
Forum Regular

Tony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud ofTony-the-Tigger has much to be proud of

The work ethos in Canada is vastly different to the UK. It's a real body blow for most. Many workers are given their holiday pay at the start of the financial year and then find themselves having to battle to get time off when they want it. It's also near impossible for most, not to spend their holiday pay immediately. I worked with some lads who had never taken a vacation, effectively being paid for 55 weeks of the year. On top of this, a basic week was 44 hours, overtime didn't start until you achieved those hours. 54 to 60 hours was a fairly normal working week for most. I always laugh when people tell me that they think Canada is more laid back and family orientated. There's a strong, financial betterment, drive in Ontario which I think is brought on by high immigration numbers. Many immigrants from outwith the so called developed world have never had holiday pay or time off and would happily work a minutes silence if they could. Work IS their life and it's hard to keep up appearances when along side them. In many ways, a similar thing has happened in the UK, where Eastern Europeans have replaced many natives due to their work ethic.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 12:56 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tony-the-Tigger
Many workers are given their holiday pay at the start of the financial year and then find themselves having to battle to get time off when they want it.
There are a few different ways its done.

Where holiday pay is used (typically for hourly pay, rather than salary) most places withhold 2% (or more if you get more than 2 weeks) of each cheque and pay that accrued money out when you take your hols. If a whole year hasnt passed then there wont be enough in the "holiday account" to cover your a full two weeks of usual pay

Some places let you carry holiday pay over into the next year, other pay out each year from the last year, so you are always in the same position!

Fortunately this situation is slowly changing, and some employers do now front the two weeks into the holiday account at the start of the year, but I dont think its all that common yet.

As for the work culture, I think it varies widely from company to company. No where I have worked has been that demanding.

Last edited by iaink; Mar 7th 2012 at 2:17 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 1:14 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

This thread points to another reason not to relocate to Ontario!

I have never experienced such issues. When I was an employee, we were all actively encouraged to take our full entitlement. If one's work was finished, we were also encouraged to leave early.

Mind you, Albertans are, allegedly, all unsophisticated rednecks. Maybe that has something to do with it
Old Mar 7th 2012, 1:25 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
This thread points to another reason not to relocate to Ontario!

I have never experienced such issues. When I was an employee, we were all actively encouraged to take our full entitlement. If one's work was finished, we were also encouraged to leave early.

Mind you, Albertans are, allegedly, all unsophisticated rednecks. Maybe that has something to do with it
Sensitive much?

Its not a provincial thing, so I dont know why you are taking cheap shots, its just the way "holiday pay" works sometimes, so its as well to realise that up front and find out how it might work for you before you sign up for a new employer.

When I was on a holiday pay scheme (even as a salary worker) Ive was never encouraged not to take it, Ive never been encouraged to work ridiculous hours, and over the year the holiday pay will work out, is just that with a 2% holdback and taking 2 weeks in July you might find you only have enough paid in at that point to cover one week.

Last edited by iaink; Mar 7th 2012 at 1:33 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 1:30 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
Sensitive much?

Its not a provincial thing, so I dont know why you are taking cheap shots, its just the way "holiday pay" works sometimes, so its as well to realise that up front and find out how it might work for you before you sight up for a new employer.

When I was on a holiday pay scheme (even as a salary worker) Ive was never encouraged not to take it, Ive never been encouraged to work ridiculous hours, and over the year the holiday pay will work out, is just that with a 2% holdback and taking 2 weeks in July you might find you only have enough paid in at that point to cover one week.
I am not taking cheap shots, merely highlighting my experiences. I am confident that there will be others in Alberta that have different experiences. Perhaps you didn't notice the smiley

This is the second time today, you appear to have taken a shot at me for attempting to use humour. Have I offended you in some way? I am asking this as one poster to another, rather than as poster to moderater (just in case you choose to throw the rule book at me).

The posters that have commented in a negative way about vacation have posted about Ontario. Just an observation

Last edited by Almost Canadian; Mar 7th 2012 at 1:33 pm.
Old Mar 7th 2012, 1:31 pm
Just Joined

ChromeoHurts is an unknown quantity at this point

I recently interviewed for a company in Toronto and was asked if I had any vacations planned not in the immediate future but up to Summer 2013?!? Weird. I said no and then HR person said don't worry you'll get your 2 weeks vacation (with a smile of her face like it was something to be proud of that they were offering 2 weeks).

Other half is senior in his Insurance role and only gets 3 weeks.

I had 24 days in UK and my OH had 5 weeks plus flex.

It really is something to consider when moving over here.

However, in Canada the public holidays are far better spread out throughout the year which is good. One learns to be creative with weekends/bank holidays. If you like to visit home at least once a year there goes your vacation time....
Old Mar 7th 2012, 1:32 pm
Moderαtor Emeritus

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
This is the second time today, you appear to have taken a shot at me for attempting to use humour. Have I offended you in some way? I am asking this as one poster to another, rather than as poster to moderater (just in case you choose to throw the rule book at me).
Not yet

(Sorry, what was the other one, maybe I should go check!)
Old Mar 7th 2012, 1:40 pm
Forum Regular

HPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to allHPJOS is a name known to all

It will widely vary as to what industry you are in and your work experience. I know people who have to "bank" hours and it is not uncommon as others have said to get nothing in the first year, whereas for me I get fixed amounts.

My company starts at 3 weeks + 17 flex (given in recognition of the inevitable Overtime you have to put in)and 2 float days (we don't get Easter Monday or Family day off so these are 2 days we can take at another time) rising to 4 weeks at 10 years service/experience and you get the 5 weeks at 17 years service I believe (not got that far yet).

Technically I get more days off here than in the UK but I am a little more senior now and the laptop creeps home with me on occasion for those flex days. I understand 10 years experience credit is all they will give to a new hire even if you are at far more than that so I know people looking to move companies who are starting to get higher vacation allowances really do consider this before jumping ship.

Certainly something to consider in the overall job package offer.

Helen

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.