Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Animal cruelty in Canada

Wikiposts

Animal cruelty in Canada

Old Apr 26th 2010, 10:00 am
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Animal cruelty in Canada

Originally Posted by iaink
If its not needed but is basically done for cultural reasons then you could draw a paralled with inuit communities where some whaling is still permitted (using traditional methods), and allow some small scale cull.

The economic argument doesnt really pass muster with me. After all, there is good money to be made by all manner of other ethically and morally dubious actions which could be enabled by a government looking the other way or otherwise failing to take action, but I would not expect those impacted by not doing ethically and morally dubious actions to be compensated by the government just for doing "the right thing".

If there is no logical basis for "harvesting" the seals then logically it should be stopped.

Of course then you get into the whole business of do the seals affect the fisheries, but thats a whole other mess of one group says yes another says no, with lots of bad science and statistics used to prove whatever you like on both sides... The argument over sealing will go on and on, and neither side will ever convince the other. Never has here, never will in the real world either.

Why is it more morally dubious, than fishing? Should we ban that?

Many fish BTW, like the bluefin tuna are being fished to the edge of extinction, so as to fill the demands of sushi resturants in cities such as Vancouver. Surely our efforts would be better focused there?
Old Apr 26th 2010, 10:01 am
BE Forum Addict

johnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to beholdjohnh009 is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by el_richo
Ducks are cute but they taste soooo good all crisped up and aromatic
Especially the Peking variety.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 10:02 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Canada

Originally Posted by Oakvillian
I really don't think that's the case at all. Most (almost all) hunts in England are now drag hunts where a trail is laid for hounds to follow.
The hunt here goes after foxes and, failing that, coyotes. It's very much about hunting something down and shredding it.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 10:02 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink
If there is no logical basis for "harvesting" the seals then logically it should be stopped.
It's not a cull, it's a hunt or harvest. The main seal hunt is an economic harvest in the same manner as fishing. Primary markets are for pelts although some (not all) of the meat is used. The smaller Innu hunts are for cultural/historical reasons. They are not the events that PETA/Sea Shepherd etc protest about.

The factor that will lead to the demise of the hunt on any scale is the collapse of markets for pelts. Already, no market exists in North America (outside a few seaskin coats in NL and beyond and the EU is no longer a market. So it's only Asia and Russia that are mainstream markets. If consumer tastes/economic conditions/any other factor reduces demand significantly, then there will be no economic reason to hunt seals. Sure there might be a few hundred caught for seal flipper pie but that'll be it.

The irony here is that arguably a sealskin coat is a much more environmentally friendly garment than your gortex, thinsulate North Face collection of petrochemicals.

On the seals eating cod thing, it's likely true that they do eat cod and that can impact the cod population. But it's not the reason for the collapse in Altantic cod - lay that at the feet of mismanagement at the federal and provincial level, the industrialisation of fishing, predatory harvesting from certain, EU states (Portugal for example) and yes, years of exploitation by the fisherman of Atlantic Canada.

So using cod numbers as an excuse for the seal hunt is a bit silly. The acceptable reason is that it is an economic harvest, carried out as humanely as possible. No other justification should be required. It is the same justification as farming (factory or otherwise), fishing and any other hunt for food or pelts. But it's more visible, more visceral when televised and more open to public scrutiny.

It's also a subject that unfortunately defies rational debate. Which is a shame.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 10:05 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder how many people have sat down on the couch, digesting their chicken dinner, reading the paper, keeping their feet warm in a lovely pair of leather soled slippers, and voicing disgust at the seal slaughtering?
This assumes a moral absolute, either one uses animals or one does not. I don't think that's valid, it seems to me perfectly reasonable to, for example, wear leather but to draw the line at eating veal or foie gras. After all, vegans are just fruitarians who lack the courage of their convictions, we're all compromised to some degree.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 10:06 am
Magnificently Withering

Oakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond reputeOakvillian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Tangram
If it's barely relevant, then why not leave the old fox alone in the first place and just gallop across the countryside chasing a peasant instead.

I am far from being some lefty tree hugging liberal but we'll have to agree to disagree Oak me ole mucker.
I am happy to agree to disagree on this - except to say that, to a large extent, what you're suggesting is exactly how most hunts now operate (although instead of a peasant it's normally some cross-country running enthusiast dragging a smelly sock behind him.....).

There are many, many arguments and counterarguments about the need to control fox populations, the preservation of the "traditional English countryside" with all its coppices and spinneys, the increasing predation of livestock, etc etc etc, but this probably isn't the time or the place - we're supposed to be talking about fluffy baby seals, after all
Old Apr 26th 2010, 10:06 am

Bali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond reputeBali2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Ducks are cute but they taste soooo good all crisped up and aromatic
Yes, I have no problem with ducks.
I (being in a farming community) have no problem eating cute sheep or cows, even those I have known personally - no consistency at all - no point pretending that there is
Old Apr 26th 2010, 10:12 am

Alan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond reputeAlan2005 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
This assumes a moral absolute, either one uses animals or one does not. I don't think that's valid, it seems to me perfectly reasonable to, for example, wear leather but to draw the line at eating veal or foie gras. After all, vegans are just fruitarians who lack the courage of their convictions, we're all compromised to some degree.
Foie gras isn't as (or at least doesn't have to be as) cruel as some would have you believe. Not that I care one way or the other - it's just too tasty for morality to stop me eating it.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 10:26 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

God, this is the most tedious BE thread for years.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 10:37 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Either wearing leather or eating veal results in the death of an animal and one would assume the choice to not eat a meat would be because of such a death. My point is, people can be very selective of what they vehemently detest and what they are comfortable with when it comes to the use of animals for human gain.

It's the hypocrisy i find interesting when people are arguing the toss.

I also agree with Alan. Foie Gras, with fig jam and posh bread, is too tasty to give a damn about the duck or goose. Stuff 'em.....
Old Apr 26th 2010, 10:40 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
God, this is the most tedious BE thread for years.
Surely it's more exciting than a thread on aliens, which airlines people use to travel back and forth with, or one of my favourites, how are dogs perceived in Canada.

Actually......you may have a point.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 10:43 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Surely it's more exciting than a thread on aliens, which airlines people use to travel back and forth with, or one of my favourites, how are dogs perceived in Canada.

Actually......you may have a point.
Certainly, it's a minor step up from hair curler power issues. But only very, very minor.

I think I'll kill myself.

<humanely of course>
Old Apr 26th 2010, 10:53 am
Seasoned Maritimer

Tangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond reputeTangram has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Certainly, it's a minor step up from hair curler power issues. But only very, very minor.

I think I'll kill myself.

<humanely of course>
Here.... take my club.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 11:03 am
Beep

Here.... take my club.
That comment just made me think. My nephew is really into a kids online area with a rather apt (ish) name.

Old Apr 26th 2010, 11:04 am
Born again atheist

Here.... take my club.
and I was just getting to like you.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.