Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Animal cruelty in Canada

Animal cruelty in Canada

Old Apr 24th 2010, 8:49 pm

dboy is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Animal cruelty in Canada

I get upset about Canadian nastiness like residential schools and the seal hunt and then there was that poor Polish man killed at Vancouver airport.
Yet, the image Canadians want to portray is of kind, peace loving tree huggers. A lot of Canadian men love hunting, blasting away at Bambi in the autumn or shooting beautiful ducks. It's bloody babaric!!!

While much of what you said has aspects of truth, this paragraph is absurd.

Residential schools, as troubling as they were don't reflect on Canada of today. In fact, given the governments position to expose what happened reflect favourably.

Seal Hunt - unless you are vegan who loves all things living, you will not accept the fact that it's no different than slaughtering lambs.

Vancouver airport incident- sick and tired of hearing of this . It's not like the police are running on transit shooting people in the back of the head... oh hang on that was London.

Hunting, while i tend to agree that it's troubling as a sport killing for entertainment, all the hunters I know eat what they kill and have the freezers stocked with food for months.
Old Apr 24th 2010, 9:23 pm
Banned

Auld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond reputeAuld Yin has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Canada

I get upset about Canadian nastiness like residential schools and the seal hunt and then there was that poor Polish man killed at Vancouver airport.
Yet, the image Canadians want to portray is of kind, peace loving tree huggers. A lot of Canadian men love hunting, blasting away at Bambi in the autumn or shooting beautiful ducks. It's bloody babaric!!!

Now that was one of the most puerile comments I've read on this site. On the other hand perhaps you are an 8 year old little girl, so then your pollyanna-ish beliefs that such things don't occur in the UK should comfort you when you return to Neverland UK.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 12:02 am
Forum Regular

kate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of light

Well here is a quick response to some things that have been said.

I don't see the Uk through rose tinted specs at all. The UK though, doesn't pretend to the world that they are anything other than a hard case not that it excuses them. The orphans sent to Canada and Australia was just wicked, but I suppose the government wanted to colonise their colonies so there was a reason. However, what excuse does Canada have for the residential schools other than wanton cruelty against indigeneous people?

Then the seal hunt. Baby lambs are not clubbed to death in front of their mothers on the green hills of Britain are they?

Then the hunting is sheer sport, not just to put food in the freezer. That they eat he food is no excuse. It's wrong that rich Brits shoot birds as well.
However in Canada it's on a bigger scale all across the country. Just look what happened to the buffalo.

The airport incident happened to a tourist who was confused. He wasn't there after a major terrorist incident in the capitol like the Brazilian was. I do deplore the Brazilian getting shot for nothing though.

It's like the Canadians prey on the weak. certainly the weak are treated badly.Just look what happens if you need benefits or how the old with nothing are treated in so called state nursing homes!

A high five to the bloke who can see what I see. We do live in a hyprocritical society.

Movies on.....that's enough for now.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 2:47 am
BE Troll

Lord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond reputeLord Vader has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kate 17
Then the seal hunt. Baby lambs are not clubbed to death in front of their mothers on the green hills of Britain are they?

Then the hunting is sheer sport, not just to put food in the freezer. That they eat he food is no excuse. It's wrong that rich Brits shoot birds as well.
However in Canada it's on a bigger scale all across the country. Just look what happened to the buffalo.
Oh FFS, so people in other nations in the world stumble across the carcass of dead animals by accident? The chefs and restaurants in Europe scavenge the carcasses of dead animals that die of natural causes in the wild. I feel stupid now, here I though there were millions of animal factories all over the world were the animals wallow around in their own feces all day on a farm, like an animal matrix. Yes, Canadians are so cruel.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

cdnexpat is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lord Vader
Oh FFS, so people in other nations in the world stumble across the carcass of dead animals by accident? The chefs and restaurants in Europe scavenge the carcasses of dead animals that die of natural causes in the wild. I feel stupid now, here I though there were millions of animal factories all over the world were the animals wallow around in their own feces all day on a farm, like an animal matrix. Yes, Canadians are so cruel.
Aren't the British the ones that made the fox hunt popular?
Old Apr 25th 2010, 3:07 pm

I don't see the Uk through rose tinted specs at all. The UK though, doesn't pretend to the world that they are anything other than a hard case not that it excuses them. The orphans sent to Canada and Australia was just wicked, but I suppose the government wanted to colonise their colonies so there was a reason. However, what excuse does Canada have for the residential schools other than wanton cruelty against indigeneous people?

The airport incident happened to a tourist who was confused. He wasn't there after a major terrorist incident in the capitol like the Brazilian was. I do deplore the Brazilian getting shot for nothing though.

It's like the Canadians prey on the weak. certainly the weak are treated badly.Just look what happens if you need benefits or how the old with nothing are treated in so called state nursing homes!

A high five to the bloke who can see what I see. We do live in a hyprocritical society.

my god, you sure pick and choose examples to talior your perspective. You are also plain wrong - clubbing of seals has not been done for decades and farming and penning lambs, who are terrified prior to being killed is worse, the polish fella was far more than a confused toursit.....residential schools have been closed since the 1960's.

It's okay to send orphans overseas due to a need to colonize??? It's okay to kill smaller animals on a smaller scale??

you have a serious lack of objectivity ..........

Last edited by dboy; Apr 25th 2010 at 3:43 pm.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 3:54 pm
Forum Regular

kate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of lightkate 17 is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by dboy
my god, you sure pick and choose examples to talior your perspective. You are also plain wrong - clubbing of seals has not been done for decades and farming and penning lambs, who are terrified prior to being killed is worse, the polish fella was far more than a confused toursit.....residential schools have been closed since the 1960's.

you have a serious lack of objectivity ..........

And you are stupid! A simple search about seal hunting shows that every year there is a quota, this year it was 250,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I never eat meat so the lamb killing is hideous too!

I can't believe the callousness in this thread. I posted my opinion about Canada and what concerns me and then I get attacked for not being all happy about it and pretending problems don't exsist. As a human being I'm expressing what concerns me. If all the detracters want to be a bunch of neanderthals, let them watch the stinking hockey, slurping back the slop
that Tim Hortens sells, wrapped in their little flag and leave me alone.

I answered the question honestly about Canada. I'll think twice about doing that again. However, if you are British and excusing these Canadian atrocities then I'm seriously disappointed in my fellow countrymen. I expect better from British people, more fool me!!!!
Old Apr 25th 2010, 3:59 pm
Forum Regular

hellcats is an unknown quantity at this point

wow. Such vitriol . Everyone has their right to their opinion. I don't agree with the seal hunt but then there is lots in the uK that i disagree with. It doesn't mean I have to hate other people and their opinion just because they disagree with me. I may not agree with what you said but I will defend your right to say it (to paraphrase Voltaire). p.s. I don't eat meat, fish or anything that lives.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 4:23 pm

And you are stupid! A simple search about seal hunting shows that every year there is a quota, this year it was 250,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I never eat meat so the lamb killing is hideous too!

I can't believe the callousness in this thread. I posted my opinion about Canada and what concerns me and then I get attacked for not being all happy about it and pretending problems don't exsist. As a human being I'm expressing what concerns me. If all the detracters want to be a bunch of neanderthals, let them watch the stinking hockey, slurping back the slop
that Tim Hortens sells, wrapped in their little flag and leave me alone.

I answered the question honestly about Canada. I'll think twice about doing that again. However, if you are British and excusing these Canadian atrocities then I'm seriously disappointed in my fellow countrymen. I expect better from British people, more fool me!!!!
no one has a problem with opinions, and there's no one size fits all in life, both places have good and bad. Your views on history, architecture and telly etc are well grounded, but your comments admonishing Canada while defending Britian are just plain wrong and lack anything that is remotely credible; infact, I'd go as far as to say they were simply ridiculous.

Not sure what we Brits have done to disappoint you. As for Canadian atrocities, I'd say they pale in comparison to what out fellow countrymen have done over the centuries....but that's really not the point here.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 5:27 pm
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dboy
no one has a problem with opinions, and there's no one size fits all in life, both places have good and bad. Your views on history, architecture and telly etc are well grounded, but your comments admonishing Canada while defending Britian are just plain wrong and lack anything that is remotely credible; infact, I'd go as far as to say they were simply ridiculous.

Not sure what we Brits have done to disappoint you. As for Canadian atrocities, I'd say they pale in comparison to what out fellow countrymen have done over the centuries....but that's really not the point here.
And clearly a result of a lack of meat in your diet. What you want is some nice seal flipper pie.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 5:47 pm
BE Forum Addict

pennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond reputepennyhp has a reputation beyond repute

I hope you are a vegetarion. If not then the meat you buy in the supermarket has had a far worse life and death than the deer, duck or moose shot by the wicked canadian hunter.

The incident at Vanouver airport where that poor man got killed was appalling. No argument there, but do you not think simliar things have happened on the odd occassion in Britain. This was caught on camera so it was very public. Other incidents are often not. That doesnt mean that they don't happen......even in the UK.

I am happy that you are going home to the UK. Its obviously right for you.
I don't understand the bitter tenner of your posts against Canada though.
You have acknowledged that your children have done well here and have not had to contend with the level of casual violence that passes for a night out in the UK.

It just seems odd thats all.

Have a nice life.

Last edited by pennyhp; Apr 25th 2010 at 5:50 pm. Reason: Can't spell to save my life.
Old Apr 25th 2010, 7:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

GC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond reputeGC44 has a reputation beyond repute

Surely if you live in Canada you are not obliged to kill a baby seal. Or is there a quota all citizens must fill?
Old Apr 26th 2010, 1:16 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Can I just ask - I didnt get involved in the previous seal discussions - do they really not club them any more ??
Old Apr 26th 2010, 1:51 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by The4BellsLondon
Can I just ask - I didnt get involved in the previous seal discussions - do they really not club them any more ??
Yes they do. Canadians also hunt foxes/coyotes with dogs, keep and eat veal calves, have battery chickens; all manner of animal cruelty. I don't think you can make a case for Canada as a place where animal welfare is valued.

otoh, there's no end of tasty quality food available, I think the argument that there isn't can be dispelled by half an hour of eating free samples at the St. Lawrence market.

One can argue that there's better cheap food at British supermarkets than Canadian ones but that interest rather clashes with concern over animal welfare; it aint cheap because it's had a happy life.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 1:58 am
half a century

The4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond reputeThe4BellsLondon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dbd33
Yes they do. Canadians also hunt foxes/coyotes with dogs, keep and eat veal calves, have battery chickens; all manner of animal cruelty. I don't think you can make a case for Canada as a place where animal welfare is valued.

otoh, there's no end of tasty quality food available, I think the argument that there isn't can be dispelled by half an hour of eating free samples at the St. Lawrence market.

One can argue that there's better cheap food at British supermarkets than Canadian ones but that interest rather clashes with concern over animal welfare; it aint cheap because it's had a happy life.

oh am not worried bout the other crap - I had just assumed that seals are still clubbed =- but someone posted that they werent - thought I would ask quietly like - try not to stir the seal clubbing nest up!

oh hang on - have just had a mosey on the tinternet - they still cull but dont club !!

Last edited by The4BellsLondon; Apr 26th 2010 at 2:02 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.