Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Animal cruelty in Canada

Wikiposts

Animal cruelty in Canada

Old Apr 26th 2010, 4:00 am
slanderer of the innocent

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Living in Canada

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
Can all the products that come from killing whales be obtained via alternate means? I have no idea (I have no idea what whales are used for)
According to the Japs "scientific research"

According to research, "Sushi"
Old Apr 26th 2010, 4:04 am

ExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond reputeExKiwilass has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
I can't be bothered to respond to your ludicrous rants on processed food in Canada vs. the UK, other than to say turkey twizzlers.
and coleslaw.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 4:13 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute

The bottom line is homo sapiens have options that seals don't. They can just get up and move to a completely different environment and adapt. They can retrain. There really are no excuses for it. If seal hunting were banned tomorrow, they'd be forced to adapt, right? I mean, when the cod fishery was screwed up in the atlantic, no one starved to death. No humans, anyway. No, they didn't. They didn't because they could move and find other work, have g'ment support etc.
So seals are more important than humans then?

I have no sympathy for whiney atlantic dwellers who refuse to help themselves and get out of the 19th century.
This might surprise you but I tend to agree with you on that one. One of the realities of the fishery here (the seal hunt being part of the fishery with sealers being fisherman who happen to seal as well as fish) is that for most it is not a year round employment. Rather, much is focussed on getting your 16 weeks employment to ensure that you qualify for EI during the off season. As a year round worker and a year round tax payer, this rankles somewhat.

The trouble is of course that any year round employment in the fishery would be for a substantially lower number of people than are currently employed. Which would lead to unemployment, mass migration and the closure of many rural communities. I imagine similar things would happen in rural/isolated resource based communities elsewhere in Canada. Loggers, paper mill workers etc. It's that difficulty that has led to successive provincial and federal governments essentially doing bugger all about the problem. Currently, the once lucrative crab fishery is at an impasse twixt harvesters and processors (can't agree on the price), with the almost as lucrative shrimp industry likely to head the same way when it opens later in the year. The cod fishery is a shadow of it's former self, so times are grim for fishermen. Still, the oil driven economy here is booming so they can all, together with the fish plant workers, go and work on the three offshore oil installations can't they? Or go to Alberta.

Still. Seals eh? Brown eyed gits. They deserve a good clubbing if you ask me.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 4:15 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Kiwilass
That's an assumption. I'll take your assumption and raise an anecdote: someone close to me works in agriculture in the UK and according to him, most Brits a. have no idea what really goes on on farms and b. what goes in is far from a heavenly rural idyll for happy food animals.

I think we just canceled each other out.
"Expose" of horse slaughter in the UK:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9yPyqjDWqk

You will note that the horse is walking and appears healthy as it is led into the stall where it is shot. This is the worst Animal Aid can some up with and yet it is a world apart from the conditions in Canada.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 4:17 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute
Default Animal cruelty in Canada

Thread started to contain the off topic discussion in the living in canada thread.

See also previous pointless discussion of seal hunting, Paul McCartney etc etc etc....

Of course everything moves in chronological order, so now it look like someone else started this mess...

Last edited by iaink; Apr 26th 2010 at 4:27 am.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 4:29 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Ok

The bottom line is homo sapiens have options that seals don't. They can just get up and move to a completely different environment and adapt. They can retrain. There really are no excuses for it. If seal hunting were banned tomorrow, they'd be forced to adapt, right? I mean, when the cod fishery was screwed up in the atlantic, no one starved to death. No humans, anyway. No, they didn't. They didn't because they could move and find other work, have g'ment support etc.

I have no sympathy for whiney atlantic dwellers who refuse to help themselves and get out of the 19th century.
First, let me just say that i don't necessarily agree with the battering of seals.

Now, isn't this the great privilege of being human, and at the top of the food chain? We have the ability to retain our lives as we prefer (to a point) and manipulate our surroundings for our personal benefit. The seal culling doesn't decimate its population so the environmental impact may not be as large as, say, allowing the seals to grow by upwards of 5-10% per year ensuring at some point nature will take its course by allowing many of them, and other species close to them in the food chain, to die of starvation.

Now, i may be incorrect about the over population part BUT i am correct in the human point. The house you live in and the resources you use in your daily life will have had an impact on living creatures of differing sizes and abilities. This in turn impacts the food chain attached to them. Maybe you should adapt at living in a tent and eating from the land? The point is, you cannot be selective of who and what you protect. It's either everything or nothing (with the exception of animals approaching extinction of course).
Old Apr 26th 2010, 4:29 am
Assimilated Pauper

dbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond reputedbd33 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Animal cruelty in Canada

Originally Posted by iaink
Thread started to contain the off topic discussion in the living in canada thread.
It's not "off topic". The mistreated animals are in Canada. The abusers are in Canada. The people who choose not to eat specific animals, or any animals at all, because of cruelty issues are in Canada. Livestock issues are as much a part of life in Canada as one's choice of mall.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 4:34 am
Slightly Canadian

Atlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond reputeAtlantic Xpat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Animal cruelty in Canada

Originally Posted by dbd33
It's not "off topic". The mistreated animals are in Canada. The abusers are in Canada. The people who choose not to eat specific animals, or any animals at all, because of cruelty issues are in Canada. Livestock issues are as much a part of life in Canada as one's choice of mall.
Oh to live somewhere where one would have a choice of mall......
Old Apr 26th 2010, 4:39 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

According to the Japs "scientific research"

According to research, "Sushi"
Doesn't anybody eat them after cooking them, or is it only arty farty types that want to eat whales?
Old Apr 26th 2010, 4:55 am

Originally Posted by dbd33
"Expose" of horse slaughter in the UK:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c9yPyqjDWqk

You will note that the horse is walking and appears healthy as it is led into the stall where it is shot. This is the worst Animal Aid can some up with and yet it is a world apart from the conditions in Canada.
proves nothing. It's just anecdote by video. It's not proof of anything, unless there are spycams in every single barn, stall and farm in the UK.

I'm not taking it further because all I got is the stories I've heard (which are sci fi factory farming ish creepy, in terms of turning animals into strange, mutated versions of their former selves). Every society has its blind spots. I'm 100% sure the UK is no different, no matter how much it's people would like to think differently.

Like, for instance, pedigreed dogs. I need to find that english documentary about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedigree_Dogs_Exposed

Take the ideas exposed in this documentary, and apply to the farm animals that no one really knows about....

imagine being a milk cow who has been bred to produce so much milk, via massive udders that are so large they can't always remain attached to the body, thus leaving the cow in excrutiating pain. Or cows that no longer go on heat, as it has been bred out of them. They can only be artificially inseminated...but the farmers don't need all those calves. Just imagine...

Last edited by ExKiwilass; Apr 26th 2010 at 5:04 am.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 5:08 am

Originally Posted by Atlantic Xpat
As a year round worker and a year round tax payer, this rankles somewhat.

The trouble is of course that any year round employment in the fishery would be for a substantially lower number of people than are currently employed. Which would lead to unemployment, mass migration and the closure of many rural communities. I imagine similar things would happen in rural/isolated resource based communities elsewhere in Canada. Loggers, paper mill workers etc. It's that difficulty that has led to successive provincial and federal governments essentially doing bugger all about the problem. Currently, the once lucrative crab fishery is at an impasse twixt harvesters and processors (can't agree on the price), with the almost as lucrative shrimp industry likely to head the same way when it opens later in the year. The cod fishery is a shadow of it's former self, so times are grim for fishermen. Still, the oil driven economy here is booming so they can all, together with the fish plant workers, go and work on the three offshore oil installations can't they? Or go to Alberta.

Still. Seals eh? Brown eyed gits. They deserve a good clubbing if you ask me.

The paper mills are dying in BC. I wonder why it's okay for industries to die here, and not there. The same way I wonder why automobile workers are special, but that's another thread.

I guess it's politics, innit.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by el_richo
The point is, you cannot be selective of who and what you protect. It's either everything or nothing (with the exception of animals approaching extinction of course).
Um, except that this whole society (and the UK) does exactly that already. Do you eat cats? Do you think if you went out and clubbed a litter of puppies right now, no one would care, and some politician git would say "It's the Canadian way! There's overpopulation! You foreigners don't understand! It's our Cultuuuuure!"

Let nature take care of the alleged seal overpopulation. Weakest excuse EVER.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 5:14 am
Assimilated Pauper

proves nothing. It's just anecdote by video. It's not proof of anything, unless there are spycams in every single barn, stall and farm in the UK.
It doesn't prove anything but if that's what the animal rights people in the UK think is cruelty at the point of slaughter it suggests a different frame of reference from Canada where that would be regarded as being humane to the point of unnecessary expense.

I'm not taking it further because all I got is the stories I've heard (which are sci fi factory farming ish creepy, in terms of turning animals into strange, mutated versions of their former selves). Every society has its blind spots. I'm 100% sure the UK is no different, no matter how much it's people would like to think differently.

Like, for instance, pedigreed dogs. I need to find that english documentary about it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pedigree_Dogs_Exposed

Take the ideas exposed in this documentary, and apply to the farm animals that no one really knows about....

imagine being a milk cow who has been bred to produce so much milk, via massive udders that are so large they can't always remain attached to the body, thus leaving the cow in excrutiating pain. Or cows that no longer go on heat, as it has been bred out of them. They can only be artificially inseminated...but the farmers don't need all those calves. Just imagine...
There's no reason to suppose that this doesn't happen in Canada. In fact, I know it does.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 6:19 am
no I aint

Flogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond reputeFlogger has a reputation beyond repute

Um, except that this whole society (and the UK) does exactly that already. Do you eat cats? Do you think if you went out and clubbed a litter of puppies right now, no one would care, and some politician git would say "It's the Canadian way! There's overpopulation! You foreigners don't understand! It's our Cultuuuuure!"

Out east we find this sort of barbaric behavour by our western cousins deplorable.

http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-col...g-cruelty.html

Note the cute ickle fluffy ears.
Old Apr 26th 2010, 6:27 am
Beep

el_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond reputeel_richo has a reputation beyond repute

Puppies feed an industry (pardon the pun) and the population is regulated due to supply and demand, in the western world so culling is not required unless the rescue centre is over crowded maybe. Dogs and Cats are also seen and bred to be used as members of a human family / workforce and they offer a service to humans so of course slaughtering them would not be seen as right, in the western world.

As for the seal culling, this also feeds an industry and although it doesn't directly impact my way of life, as i said previously, i do not necessarily agree with it. It does, however, impact many others and i don't fault them for wanting to keep with their chosen way of life and financial security. And that's another great thing about being a human. We can select where we want to live (to a point) and manipulate the surroundings to suit our needs and wants (rightly or wrongly).

I assume you don't eat meat, eat only organic produce, do not purchase anything that is packaged, do not own leather products, do not drive a car, do not use gas / electricity, do not shop in strip malls, do not use bug spray, do not use toilet paper etc. Not obeying the examples above impact animals directly and indirectly in some way, either by displacement or death.

If you have termites, do you live with it, move house or destroy the termites? If you have moles (or the equivalent) damaging your garden constantly what do you do? If you have a family of rats in your home, what do you do? Now, if you owned a restaurant of which was your main family income and you had all of the above, what would you do?

I guess that's another great thing about being a human; you can be selective about what you consider abhorrent.

Last edited by el_richo; Apr 26th 2010 at 7:11 am.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.