All booked!

Old Jan 13th 2014, 11:21 am
Just Joined

YEGBrit is an unknown quantity at this point
Default All booked!

Hi everyone

So ive finally booked the flights to Calgary in June, then getting the Greyhound to Edmonton. This is my 2nd attempt at making it work as I was too young & immature at my first try.

Im making the move alone & I have a job to go to but my main concern is meeting people & starting new circles. Im quite a sociable guy so I was curious if anyone had made the transition alone & had any tips?
Thanks in advance
Old Jan 13th 2014, 2:19 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: All booked!

Hello,

First, congrats and good luck with the upcoming move!! I didn't move to Canada myself as I'm a Canadian, but I did move to London on my own 5 years ago.

I was a bit lucky that I had flatmates who were quite social and I went out with them a lot and met people that way. So that's the first one - try to be social with your roommates.

SEcond way I met people was through work. I worked with quite a few people my age, and started going out with a lot of them outside work and made some great friendships that way. (In fact, that's how I met my now-husband!)

Third way was I joined a sports team - I've played softball since I was a kid, and joined a team in London. Met a load of people that way - and lots of them expats, which was also a lot of fun.

Lastly, you might also look at joining groups like meetup.com and expats groups via Facebook and go along to their events. They are a bit hit and miss, though - I didn't really enjoy the ones I did in London, but my best friend did 3 years in France and met a ton of people through the ones there, so it's at least worth a shot. (You could also post here and try to organise a meetup for British Expats in the Edmonton area!)

Hope that helps!!
Old Jan 13th 2014, 6:13 pm
Just Joined

Thanks for the reply

I play rugby and a little soccer so Ill try and join some teams before winter kicks in. How did you find clubs? Just search online?

Thanks for the advice
Old Jan 13th 2014, 6:19 pm
Concierge

SchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond reputeSchnookoLoly has a reputation beyond repute

I used this - http://www.meetup.com/

You can also do a search for Facebook groups - there was one group for Canadians in London, so you might find one for BRits or Expats in Edmonton. (Similar search for meetup as well!)
Old Jan 13th 2014, 6:25 pm
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YEGBrit
Thanks for the reply

I play rugby and a little soccer so Ill try and join some teams before winter kicks in. How did you find clubs? Just search online?

Thanks for the advice
There is a new comers club for British expats in Edmonton
Old Jan 14th 2014, 6:17 am
Just Joined

Really? Fantastic! Do you know how I can find out more please? Thanks