Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Alberta vs Ontario

Alberta vs Ontario

Old May 24th 2012, 3:26 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alberta vs Ontario

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
You will struggle to find a bad area in Calgary. Lots of people slate the N.E. but the vast majority that do, I suspect, have never been there.

Have a look at the City of Calgary website. It provides most of the info you seek.
Depends how you define good and bad?
Old May 24th 2012, 3:44 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cheeky_monkey
Depends how you define good and bad?
Of course it does. What the Queen would find "bad" will be very different from what someone that lives in "Queens" will find bad.

What areas of Calgary do you define as "bad" and why?
Old May 24th 2012, 4:09 am
lf1
BE Forum Addict

lf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond reputelf1 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keznjj
Thanks for the info, so more info needed if poss on the following:
Real Estate Agents
Places to live (nice decent areas)
Transportation to and from the city for work etc
Walking areas, rivers etc?
Thanks again
There are lots of walking paths in Calgary - along the Bow River, Fish Creek Park, Glenmore Reservoir/Park to name a few. There are also lots of hiking trails in the Rockies - not my cup of tea as I don't fancy meeting a bear or cougar and ending up as lunch - but, they are vary beautiful. I have just sold my house and was extremely pleased with the realtor I used. I'll PM his details as I can't remember if you are allowed to post that sort of info on the public forum and I don't have time to check the rules as I am preparing to move. Speaking of which I had better get back to the task at hand

I have worked in Toronto (lived in Oakville) and lived in Calgary. I would choose Calgary over Toronto, but it really is a very personal choice as we all like different things. Good luck with your move.
Old May 24th 2012, 5:06 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

You will struggle to find a bad area in Calgary. Lots of people slate the N.E. but the vast majority that do, I suspect, have never been there.
I've been there, been there a lot. There are some crappy places in Calgary and most of them are in the NE, but it's a huge area and you can't compare the stuff up on Stoney Trail for example with the stuff near downtown. I mean some of the poshest areas are technically in the NE, e.g. some of the houses along Memorial Drive. But on the other hand there are some fairly crappy areas just north of that.
Old May 24th 2012, 5:15 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by keznjj
Real Estate Agents
Realtors. www.mls.ca

Places to live (nice decent areas)
Depends on your budget really more than anything else. There are a few crappy places in the NE, but it's obvious, just look on Streetview.

Transportation to and from the city for work etc
Calgary is not a traditional conurbation like most cities, it's basically one monolithic entity surrounded by some much smaller towns like Airdrie, Cochrane, Okotoks and High River. You don't go "to and from" it, you go from one place to another inside of it.

But anyway living near the LRT helps. Traffic is worst on the west side of the city, but eventually they will finish the ring road (November 2017 is the currently scheduled date).

Walking areas, rivers etc?
Calgary has more paths, park, dog stuff, etc. than any other city in North America, although I'm not sure who measured that.

Basically if you live near the rivers or the reservoir you are near a park with lots of paths, but on the other hand you're also living in the flood plain.
Old May 24th 2012, 6:29 am
BE Enthusiast

YoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond reputeYoshiPal2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Okay, snow on the ground for 7 months and warm enough to leave the house without gloves on 4 months. So only slight exaggeration Not so much in the way of chinooks in Red Deer, our snow pile has only been gone for 3 or 4 weeks.
Now that I do agree with! And here we are, May 25, and a daytime high of 8C. No wonder my daughter -- born in Devon, but grew up in Calgary -- wants to back to the UK after school (I must encourage that!)
Old May 24th 2012, 6:33 am
Every day's a school day

cheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond reputecheeky_monkey has a reputation beyond repute

What areas of Calgary do you define as "bad" and why?
i wouldn't define any area of Calgary as bad or good when i think about it. I have only been here 3 months so my summary of Calgary so far is bland.
Old May 24th 2012, 6:56 am
ModerĪ±tor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Glorious mid to high 20s in Ontario today
Old May 24th 2012, 12:01 pm
Grumpy Know-it-all

OMG, this girl was telling me today about how awful Applewood is and it's full of druggies, etc. and I replied: "Err, you're from Alberta aren't you... thought so." No appreciation of what a really bad area is like.