Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Alberta vs Ontario

Wikiposts

Alberta vs Ontario

Old May 21st 2012, 1:25 pm

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alberta vs Ontario

Originally Posted by YoshiPal2010
I have been here for 14 years, and I have never had to endure eight months of snow. Methinks the lady doth exaggerate.
Okay, snow on the ground for 7 months and warm enough to leave the house without gloves on 4 months. So only slight exaggeration Not so much in the way of chinooks in Red Deer, our snow pile has only been gone for 3 or 4 weeks.
Old May 21st 2012, 1:31 pm
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Toronto, Ontario
Located in the south east of the country, Toronto is the largest city in Canada and is the capital of Ontario. Home to around 5.5 million people of all nationalities, ‘Queen City’ according to the 2006 Census, was the most popular city for immigration from the UK. Joined by both the Humber River and the Don River, Toronto has a moderate climate and often has warm, humid summers. With the prominent CN Tower overlooking the city, Toronto is the economic epicentre and cultural capital of the country. The city is very cosmopolitan and is the home to many theatres and performing arts companies, meaning that there is plenty of entertainment taking place throughout the year. In terms of sport, Toronto is the Canadian representative in each of the seven major league sports.

Calgary, Alberta
Being the ‘Heart of the New West’, Calgary could be a great place for you to experience the province of Alberta. With the city located adjacent to the Canadian Rockies and Banff National Park, it is easy to escape the thrills of city life all year round. Calgary is home to around one million people and is the largest city in Alberta. The vibrant and cosmopolitan city combines an outdoor lifestyle with a western heritage to make it a great place to live.

This piece of utter bullshit is taken from the home page of this website, believe it or not.
Old May 22nd 2012, 12:58 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Novocastrian
Toronto, Ontario
Located in the south east of the country, Toronto is the largest city in Canada and is the capital of Ontario. Home to around 5.5 million people of all nationalities, ‘Queen City’ according to the 2006 Census, was the most popular city for immigration from the UK. Joined by both the Humber River and the Don River, Toronto has a moderate climate and often has warm, humid summers. With the prominent CN Tower overlooking the city, Toronto is the economic epicentre and cultural capital of the country. The city is very cosmopolitan and is the home to many theatres and performing arts companies, meaning that there is plenty of entertainment taking place throughout the year. In terms of sport, Toronto is the Canadian representative in each of the seven major league sports.

Calgary, Alberta
Being the ‘Heart of the New West’, Calgary could be a great place for you to experience the province of Alberta. With the city located adjacent to the Canadian Rockies and Banff National Park, it is easy to escape the thrills of city life all year round. Calgary is home to around one million people and is the largest city in Alberta. The vibrant and cosmopolitan city combines an outdoor lifestyle with a western heritage to make it a great place to live.

This piece of utter bullshit is taken from the home page of this website, believe it or not.
I have never been to Toronto so I am unable to comment upon that portion of the quote. However, except for the word "cosmopolitan" (and only because people will have different ideas about what that word means), I can't see what is "utter bullshit" about the Calgary portion of the quote as the vast majority of it is fact.
Old May 22nd 2012, 10:41 am
Born again atheist

Novocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond reputeNovocastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Almost Canadian
I have never been to Toronto so I am unable to comment upon that portion of the quote. However, except for the word "cosmopolitan" (and only because people will have different ideas about what that word means), I can't see what is "utter bullshit" about the Calgary portion of the quote as the vast majority of it is fact.
On Toronto: After 30 years here I've never heard anyone at all referring to it as Queen City. Hogtown, yes. The CN tower only overlooks the Harbour Front, not the whole city. (Unless you live on the Islands).

Toronto is not "joined" by the Don and Humber rivers. They are both weak streams of no note, except, in parts, for walking a dog.

I've been wracking my brain to come up with 7 major league sports in Toronto. NHL, MLB, MLS, NBA...NLL at a push. What are the others?

Someone touting for a relocation company (the author) might think the TO climate is moderate. I'd disagree.

I've only been to Calgary a few times so I'll bow to your acceptance, but the phrase "it is easy to escape the thrills of city life all year round." is a bit ambivalent don't you think? If there are in fact thrills of city life in Calgary why would you want to escape them all year round?

Last edited by Novocastrian; May 22nd 2012 at 11:03 am.
Old May 23rd 2012, 4:50 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
Who said winter scares us? We just know that after 7 winters, we don't want to be doing 8 months of snow for the rest of our lives.
Winters are longer here than in southern Ontario but on the plus side you don't have to spend as much time outside enduring them, because you've got more snow to shovel if you live in the GTA.

I've driven through bad snow storms in Alberta but at least there isn't much traffic about, you can be going down the QEW in traffic easily as bad as any major European city and be in blizzard conditions. No thanks. Or even worse, the traffic grinds to a halt and then you're just sat there watching the snow build up on your car.

Another thing I just thought of is that you need AC in Ontario, that can raise your utility bills a fair bit.
Old May 23rd 2012, 5:05 am
Moderαtor Emeritus

iaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond reputeiaink has a reputation beyond repute

Alberta has mountains, Ontario has lakes.

Depends if you want to ski or canoe really, assuming jobs / benefits/ time in traffic/ size of house etc come out as a wash.

Long cold winter, vs long hot and humid summer. I wouldnt want to pick.

Having spent much of the weekend up a tree building a tree house Im curious how are the biting bugs in Alberta?
Old May 23rd 2012, 5:13 am
Grumpy Know-it-all

Steve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond reputeSteve_ has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of mosquitoes but as we don't have many trees I'm assuming not as bad as Ontario.
Old May 23rd 2012, 5:24 am
BE Enthusiast

PeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond reputePeterF has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by iaink

Depends if you want to ski or canoe really, assuming jobs / benefits/ time in traffic/ size of house etc come out as a wash.

Having spent much of the weekend up a tree building a tree house Im curious how are the biting bugs in Alberta?
Plenty of lakes and canoeing in the Rockies
Old May 23rd 2012, 5:56 am

Piff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond reputePiff Poff has a reputation beyond repute

When we were in Ontario last summer, we were able to sit on the grass in a farmyard without mozzie spray and we didn't get bitten, we arrived back to Alberta and as soon as we stepped out of Edmonton airport we were bitten within seconds. I will not be leaving the house to walk the dog without spraying bug spray for the next 3 months or so.
Old May 23rd 2012, 6:08 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Almost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond reputeAlmost Canadian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Piff Poff
When we were in Ontario last summer, we were able to sit on the grass in a farmyard without mozzie spray and we didn't get bitten, we arrived back to Alberta and as soon as we stepped out of Edmonton airport we were bitten within seconds. I will not be leaving the house to walk the dog without spraying bug spray for the next 3 months or so.
I don't have an issue with bugs in Calgary at all. I don't have issues with them when hiking in the Rockies either. Alberta is a big place.
Old May 23rd 2012, 6:49 am
Part Time Poster

MikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond reputeMikeUK has a reputation beyond repute

Don't foget we use the mountains next door in Quebec, the french conection helps give that alpine ambiance
Old May 23rd 2012, 7:00 am
BE Enthusiast

delsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud ofdelsol79 has much to be proud of

I don't have an issue with bugs in Calgary at all. I don't have issues with them when hiking in the Rockies either. Alberta is a big place.
Hopefully we will not have not as many to worry about anyway...

http://www.calgaryherald.com/news/ca...314/story.html

I have visited Toronto many times and as a city I much prefer it to Calgary. It is where I planned to come and live when I first applied many years ago. Now that I am married and have a toddler my requirements are very different and I really like Calgary. Family friendly and love how easy it is to get out to the mountains and the great outdoors.
Old May 24th 2012, 2:48 am
Forum Regular

keznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud of

Thanks for the info, so more info needed if poss on the following:
Real Estate Agents
Places to live (nice decent areas)
Transportation to and from the city for work etc
Walking areas, rivers etc?
Thanks again
Old May 24th 2012, 3:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by keznjj
Thanks for the info, so more info needed if poss on the following:
Real Estate Agents
Places to live (nice decent areas)
Transportation to and from the city for work etc
Walking areas, rivers etc?
Thanks again
You will struggle to find a bad area in Calgary. Lots of people slate the N.E. but the vast majority that do, I suspect, have never been there.

Have a look at the City of Calgary website. It provides most of the info you seek.
Old May 24th 2012, 3:14 am
Forum Regular

keznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud ofkeznjj has much to be proud of

You will struggle to find a bad area in Calgary. Lots of people slate the N.E. but the vast majority that do, I suspect, have never been there.

Have a look at the City of Calgary website. It provides most of the info you seek.
Sounds good to me!!! Thanks for the info..

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.