Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Canada
Reload this Page >

Alberta Driving License

Alberta Driving License

Old Apr 9th 2007, 10:56 pm
throw caution to the wind

louise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond reputelouise033 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Alberta Driving License

Originally Posted by Butch Cassidy
'Its not a bald patch its solar power for a love machine.'
Old Apr 9th 2007, 11:29 pm
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Arris
Hi,

..... - you do have to do an sight test, that's all.

We didn't.

But you do need a utility bill and/or rental agreement or such, as proof that you live here .... I think we took our PR cards and passports .....
Old Apr 10th 2007, 1:21 am
and Twitchy

Nickola has a spectacular aura aboutNickola has a spectacular aura aboutNickola has a spectacular aura about

We exchanged our licences in December when we moved over here for good. We done this at the Shawnessy branch and all we needed to do was hand our old licences over have our photo taken. We did not have to take an eye sight test.
We handed our old UK paper licences in, but we applied for and kept our photo licence. Why I dont know??? Seemed a good idea.
Our new canadian licences came through the post a few days later.
Im a bit upset my motorcycle licence wasnt transfered over.
Old Apr 10th 2007, 3:36 am
Forum Regular

wallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud ofwallace has much to be proud of

Before you hand is your UK licence, make sure that you photocopy it. We exchanged our driving licences soon after landing and when we went to get vehicle insurance after we had purchased our first vehicle, the insurance company wanted to see or UK licence to check for any demerit points. I returned to the licencing agency and luckily they hadn't sent our licences back to DVLA yet, so I could photocopy them and hand the photocopies into the insurance brokers.
When you swap your UK licence for an Alberta one, you only get a standard class 5 licence (to drive a car/ SUV/pick-up). I lost my bike and truck class, but at least you don't have re take your test to drive a car.
We are more than happy to help with any questions you may have, re moving and settling in Alberta, having done it ourselves 9 months ago.
We are living the dream
Old Apr 10th 2007, 3:40 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Morwenna
We didn't.

But you do need a utility bill and/or rental agreement or such, as proof that you live here .... I think we took our PR cards and passports .....
I haven't read the regs but was it you that said if you passed your GB test before <some time in the 1970s> you had to take an Albertan one anyway? Vague recollection of that, but I might have the wrong person...!
Old Apr 10th 2007, 4:37 am
little snowy owl

Alberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond reputeAlberta_Rose has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Biiiiink
I haven't read the regs but was it you that said if you passed your GB test before <some time in the 1970s> you had to take an Albertan one anyway? Vague recollection of that, but I might have the wrong person...!
Oh yes that was me.... and it applied to my OH, .....but as he'd swopped his old paper permit for a new plastic one a few years back, and as the new plastic one had the date it was issued on it, they swopped it without argument!

Then we had an ongoing correspondence for a while as the office said they wanted his paper copy of the new license .... even though he'd explained at the time that he didn't have it. He explained again and they said it was OK.

They then changed their minds again, and said they really did need the paper part and he risked losing his Alberta licence if he didn't produce it!

They told him he'd need to apply for a new one, and so he enquired in UK and was told he'd have to send his old one back ..... at that point it seems everybody agreed to let the matter drop, cos we never heard any more about it!
Old Apr 10th 2007, 3:29 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Biiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond reputeBiiiiink has a reputation beyond repute

Nice one

Ontario didn't look at my paper part at all... and gave it straight back to me. I suppose if I'd swapped here in Manitoba they might have looked at it, as they have a 2part card and paper system here too, so it's not an alien concept.

What is the cut-off date for Alberta then? We should stick that in the wiki.

Oh yes that was me.... and it applied to my OH, .....but as he'd swopped his old paper permit for a new plastic one a few years back, and as the new plastic one had the date it was issued on it, they swopped it without argument!

Then we had an ongoing correspondence for a while as the office said they wanted his paper copy of the new license .... even though he'd explained at the time that he didn't have it. He explained again and they said it was OK.

They then changed their minds again, and said they really did need the paper part and he risked losing his Alberta licence if he didn't produce it!

They told him he'd need to apply for a new one, and so he enquired in UK and was told he'd have to send his old one back ..... at that point it seems everybody agreed to let the matter drop, cos we never heard any more about it!
Old Apr 12th 2007, 12:14 am
little snowy owl

Found this on http://www.escapemate.co.uk/modules....rtid=96&page=1

Alberta
Alberta has a reciprocal agreement dependant upon certain conditions.

If your full UK licence was issued before January 1st 1976 it cannot be exchanged for an Alberta licence. You will have to retake your test according to the Alberta Driving Licence Programme.

If your licence was issued after this date you will be able to exchange it for a full Alberta Class 5 licence providing it is a UK class B or class A if issued before 1st April 1990.
Old Apr 12th 2007, 3:50 pm

Steve_P is an unknown quantity at this point

Found this on http://www.escapemate.co.uk/modules....rtid=96&page=1

Alberta
Alberta has a reciprocal agreement dependant upon certain conditions.

If your full UK licence was issued before January 1st 1976 it cannot be exchanged for an Alberta licence. You will have to retake your test according to the Alberta Driving Licence Programme.

If your licence was issued after this date you will be able to exchange it for a full Alberta Class 5 licence providing it is a UK class B or class A if issued before 1st April 1990.
Thanks for this Morwenna.

I've added it to the BE Wiki on getting an Alberta drivers licence.

Cheers
Steve
Old Apr 12th 2007, 3:51 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by Steve_P
Thanks for this Morwenna.

I've added it to the BE Wiki on getting an Alberta drivers licence.

Cheers
Steve
I went to do it but I saw the wiki fairies had already been at work

Thanks all!